“Less than Average” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
New Haven, Michigan
“Less than Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Although my wife enjoyed the crabcakes, the overall service was poor and the hot wings were not good, when i asked to exchange the hot wings I ordered for some different wings, they told they ran out of chicken. So, i was forced to order something else. With six people and four of them were children, my bill was about $90. The staff appeared to be disinterested with my family needs. Not again for me!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Richmond, Virginia
“Great Crab Cakes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

In town for business and decided to try a local restaurant instead of the big chains. Did my own research of the place and decided to give them a shot.

This was a Sunday visit around 5:30 and sat at the bar since I was by myself. Ordered the Fried Crab Cake platter with fries and coleslaw. When the food came out, it was in nice large portions, 7 OZ crab cake and plenty of thick fries to go along with a great tasting cole slaw.

The seasoning was very good and plenty of taste but not overbearing with the crab. Enjoyed the meal and was reasonably priced compared to other places I had checked out online. I would definitely go there again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Maryland
“Crab cakes win the prize”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I've sampled crab cakes at numerous places in Maryland, but Gunning's wins the prize for best crab cakes. Crab cakes contain a generous serving of sweet large lumps of crab, there is minimal binding, and the seasoning does not overwhelm the delicate flavor of crab. Order them broiled. Prices are in line with the quality, and well worth every cent. Side dishes are usually good but unremarkable. Have not tried the steamed crabs yet. The restaurant has no frills, and you can eat in the dining room or the bar, which tends to be noisy and busy. Located in a tiny retail strip. Parking can be challenging on the weekends; best to arrive after 8 pm unless you have a reservation. Definitely worth a visit!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
lilfishlovintheocean
“Good crab cakes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We were here on Father's Day. We had a reservation and did not have to wait to be seated. Our server Kori was seated several large tables back to back and still managed to make sure that we had attention. All of the food we had was good. I ordered the 2 crab cake platter. I couldn't make up my mind if I wanted it prepared broiled or fried so I got one of each. DO NOT order the crab cakes fried. Broiled was delicious but the fried tasted like the oil it was fried in. Our service was great. Prices were competitive to most of the seafood restaurants in MD. On cleanliness the ladies rooms were clean.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Saint Charles, Illinois
“Disappointed visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We heard it was a great place for blue crab. Decided to go on our last night in town, which happened to be a Sunday. Unfortunately, they ran out of crabs and we were stuck eating there because our hotel shuttle just left. Heard the crabs are good but we weren't too happy with the rest of the menu. Make sure you call just a few minutes before you go to check to see if they have the crabs.

Visited June 2013