“Expected much better service and food” 1 of 5 stars

7002 Arundel Mills Cir #7777, Hanover, MD
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Prime Rib is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 100 restaurants in Hanover
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Expected much better service and food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

For the reputation of The Prime Rib in D.C., the exorbitant price of the meat, and having to pay extra for sides, I really expected the experience to be better. A friend and I decided to have dinner at 5 pm. There wasn't anyone there, but we had to sit in the bar because we didn't have reservations. Upon leaving, I noticed empty tables! We had 2 different arrogant waiters who were seldom seen, and who gave us conflicting information about the menu. The house salad was small and pitiful, consisting of limp, brown-edged lettuce, 2 tiny tomatoes, a small piece of cucumber, and chopped egg (NOT listed on the menu…who puts egg on their house salad?) all drowning in a boring dressing. I wanted the smaller, signature prime rib, rare, but was told I could only have it medium. When it showed up, it was the size of a whole pot roast! Who would serve that to a little woman? I couldn't find either waiter for a while, and I started to wonder if they gave me the $57 cut on purpose, hoping I would pay the higher price. When I finally got a waiter, he very reluctantly told me to eat it and they would charge me for the smaller one. The other waiter came by and reluctantly said the same thing. Then the first waiter quickly whisked it away from me, to get me "what I wanted." My companion ate his entire steak in the time it took for me to get another prime rib. When it came, it was raw and cold in the center. This place is definitely NOT worth even half of the money it costs!! You'd be better off putting that same money on the blackjack table.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

65% Recommend
Laurel, Maryland
“I was ill for 2 days after dining at the Prime Rib”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

A party of 10 dined at the Prime Rib at Maryland Live Casino on April 27th. We waited over an hour and a half for our dinner due to a 'back-up in the kitchen'. An hour after eating my dinner of lambchops, asparagus and a few spoons of potatoes au gratin and leaving the restauruant, I was ill ....for two days. My fiance ate a piece of the lamb chop and was ill overnight. He called the restaurant Sunday to speak with the manager but his call was not returned. I tried to post a request for a callback on the website site and received an 'error' code.
I will call the restaurant again today regarding their 'Colorado Lamb' as it was described by the server.

If you dine at the Prime Rib, beware of the Colorado Lamb.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Severn, Maryland
“Food below par”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

There wasn't a whole lot to complain about but I do have two items that were what I considered below par. I had a Caesar salad which I had to pick through as most of the lettuce was more brown than green. For the prices that are charged for everything this should not have been served this way. I know if I could see it clearly in the subtle light in the restaurant than they could also see it before it left the kitchen. We also got a serving of the fries cooked in duck fat. I have had these type of fries before and was really looking forward to them. The excitement soon disappeared though as they tasted like regular fast food fries, nothing special.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Annapolis, Maryland
“Not trying to build a repeat business”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I was part of a large party (~18pp) on a Wed night, 5:30pm reservation. The restaurant, which is apparently not owned by The Prime Rib, but by the Maryland Live Casino, was NOT busy. Service was very slow. It wasn't until 6:30, an hour after we were seated, that the waitress and waiter came around to take our food order. It felt as if they decided to let us sit for an hour with cocktails, to drive the bill up. When I asked about getting some bread service, I was told that would come after they were done taking orders. Perfect formula for a restaurant business ... provide the atmosphere to drink only for an hour before providing an opportunity for food.

Orders were taken. Food was delivered ... I think by this time it was nearly 8pm. [our whole event, a work function, was scheduled from 5:30-7:30.] This restaurant is NOT shy about pricing their menu items. A small filet mignon, $46. Just for the filet [not even Bernaise incl]. It is shame that a steak house cannot properly cook a $46 (6 or 8 oz) piece of beef. I sent back my meal twice: the first overly seasoned with salt but perfectly cooked to temperature (MedRare+), the second perfectly seasoned but part rare/raw. The salad that was recommened to me by the waitress did not taste fresh or have any crispness to it. The roasted artichoke hearts were ok.
Towards the end of dinner service, a manager from the casino interrupted our meal to see if anyone wanted to join the Casino club. He was giving away free $10 gambling cards with the exchange of your driver's license. Pretty tacky thing to do in a fine dining restaurant. He disappeared with a few licenses and returned at least 30 minutes later ... some people couldn't even leave because they didn't have their license.

3 people ordered dessert and after dinner drinks. The dessert arrived well after the espressos were delivered and consumed. I mentioned to our waitress that we had hoped that our dessert and drinks would be served together. Oh well. She did send the assistant manager over and we talked at length about everything that I have mentioned here. He was apologetic and assured me that my filet was taken off the bill. [Note; I did not eat the filet, so it sure better had been taken off the bill.] In the end, especially after talking to the assistant manager, Tom, I felt that there was no interest in trying to secure a local customer base.

Turns out the next day, several other co-workers had their steaks not prepared to their liking. There are better steak places.

Enjoyed the live piano player.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Burtonsville, MD
“Quiet dining in the casino”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary here. We had previously been to their Baltimore and Washington locations. The food has always been top notch. Considering the restaurant's location in the casino, the restaurant itself is amazingly quiet. You could not notice the casino noise going on outside. We liked this location because the required dress is business casual, instead of coat and tie. The wait staff was very attentive, making wine and dining suggestions. We both went with the restaurant namesake, and had prime rib, which was cooked to perfection. If I had one complaint, it would be the prices. I did expect prices to be high in a restaurant like this. However, I'm inclined to say on a special occasion (or a win in the casino) this is worthi it.