“Don't waste your time/money” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 8 Attractions in Hanover
Type: Casinos
Attraction Details
Alexandria, Virginia
“Don't waste your time/money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The photos you see of happy, dressed up people enjoying themselves at the tables is NOT what you get here.

Crowd is pretty "rough looking" and/or "down and out"....security is everywhere both casino and uniformed police (should tell you something there) pickpockets roaming the floor ( saw two teams on the deck) , minimums are way too high ($25), waitress are dressed like hookers, burgers are $9.
Way too much audio input to concentrate on cards...Big Screens everywhere, millions of flashing lights, overly loud slots, music over everything, different blaring TV channels....horrible.

Everything about this place screams "gonna take your money...all of it!"

The only positive is the "grey coats" employees. Very nice and helpful but the overall atmosphere is surly, and tension filled at times more than any other casino I've ever been to. Every time i got bumped into i checked to see that my wallet was still with me. Simply not fun and enjoyable experience.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not a Happy Place......................”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I've visited this casino several times and it is not a happy place, likely because very few people seem to be winning. My review:

Pros: Clean, spacious facility & smoke free
Good eating establishments attached to the casino
Cons: VERY tight slots-I guess that's how they make 38 million$ in one month.
Several $1 slot machines that I played did not give a single credit even after
30 or 40 spins.
Table minimums are very high-I went there on a Monday morning and the minimum bet for Blackjack was $25.
Overall: Very few people seem to win here and that fosters a gloomy atmosphere. Patrons at the tables seem to have a grim determination to hang on to whatever "scared" money they have left. Avoid Saturday nite at all costs due to overcrowding. My wife and kids visited the attached Mall while I gambled and did not feel secure on Sat nite either.

Maryland
“Expensive Minimums”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Went to the casino for the first time since they opened up the table games. Like other postings, there was only one $15 minimum for blackjack and one $25 minimum for craps. What made it worse was the $25 craps table eventually went to $50 minimum and that was it. I don't consider myself a big gambler, but I enjoy the $5 and $10 minimum tables. If the minimums do not go down, I won't be going back. I have family new Atlantic City and Vegas; I'd rather visit them and enjoy my time then spend too much money because the casino is too greedy and wants the tables minimums too high.

11 attraction reviews
“Will never ever ever go back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

An awful experience.

I go to these places just to goof around. I never expect to come out ahead. In other, much better places (Vegas, Reno, Biloxi, AC, even Dover), I can spend a whole day and never be up or down more than $50. It's fun, you can people-watch, etc. The house has the advantage, and I accept that. At Maryland Live, however, the typical house advantage apparently isn't enough.

The table minimums are much too high. In addition, most of the blackjack tables are equipped with continuous shuffling machines, which I dislike and refuse to play. Further, players are forced to use touch screens instead of placing their bets with chips. When you have no physical cue of how much you've won or lost, it's very easy to lose track. Put all that together, and that's why I didn't go near the tables.

The slot machines are very tight. Again, I realize I'm not likely to come out ahead. That said, the sheer speed with which a person can go through $$$, even on a "penny slot", is astounding.

Staff was rude. Cashiers were slow. Most of the ticket redemption machines were out of order.

No thanks.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Maryland Live! killing its customers...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Ok so here’s the deal. I almost never do business reviews, as my point of view is already shown by many others. But I have to make an exception for Maryland Live! (and not in a good way). I’ve been to many casinos; Vegas (about 2 dozen), Atlantic City (about 10), Puerto Rico (1), Bahamas (1), Tunica (about 3), and Philly (1). I am NOT a high roller I just enjoy the atmosphere and spending some hard earned money on crap tables (note the spend, NOT give money away…) Here is my perspective on Maryland Live!
Pros:
It’s new
It’s smoke free
Yep that’s it.

Con:
I was surprised at the tables having $50 minimums at 10am on a Saturday. I’ve been to upper tier casinos (like the Wynn in Vegas) and saw $25/$50/$100 tables 24/7. However, most other casinos, outside of primetime (8pm-2am), I’ve ALWAYS been able to find a $10 table. But not at Live!
To add further insult, they’ve changed their E-table minimums from a ratio of $10 (70%) / $25 (30%) to $10 (30%) / $25 (70%). It’s obvious that Live! is out for a straight money grab. I get it. So I find one of two open E-tables ($10) and add $60 to it, ready to play a few hands. Wouldn’t you know it, the TOUCH SCREEN DOESN’T WORK!!!! So much so, that not only can I NOT bet, but I can’t ticket out either (guess that’s why it was open). This pretty much put me over the edge with the casino. How blatantly crooked does a place have to be to have non-functioning casino machines. I’m right at the bar; the bartender asks if I want anything. I tell her I can’t play the machine and ask if she can help me. She says she can’t so I need to “find” someone with some type of tag or badge or whatever to help me…. I looked at her like she’s lost her mind! “I HAVE TO FIND SOMEONE TO HELP ME….. “ Another worker states that she’ll find someone for me, which I was grateful for. After another 10 minutes someone comes by and basically plays around with the machine for 15 minutes until she was able to get the machine to ticket out. So I effectively was held hostage for 30 minutes trying to blow $60-$200 bucks but never got the opportunity to… I cashed out, left with my girlfriend; we went shopping at the mall, saw a movie, and grabbed something to eat. Next time they’ll see me at LIVE!??? Never again!
PS. Bobby’s burger place was REALLY good when they first opened, but the consistent 30-45 minute waits (if you think I’m kidding, you’re welcome to call my bluff…) and lowering of service really takes away from the experience (the burgers are smaller than when they first opened). The milkshakes are good.
Cheesecake Factory is AWESOME (as should be expected)… The wait is long (ironically only slightly longer than Bobby’s), but the service and food are worth the wait!
Suggestions: Go to AC or WV. Or do it right, save your chips and fly to Vegas where $10 minimums are plentiful, the service is great, and you get some decent buffets.