“This is the place to stay.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Arundel Mills Experience
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Hanover
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“This is the place to stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

If you go to Arundel Mills/Maryland Live! casino, the place to stay is the Residence Inn. It is clean and very accommodating. The front desk manager, Laura, will help you with anything she can do to make your stay a pleasant one. They provide shuttles to and from the mall and the casino. My husband and I did not have to wait any time at all. The shuttle was there to take us when we needed to go and we called for pick up and the shuttle was there within 10 minutes. We enjoyed the decor of our room and the hotel. The buffet breakfast was enjoyable, like other Residence Inn locations. If we return to Arundel Mills, we will most definitely stay at the Residence Inn again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Shaune J, General Manager at Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, August 5, 2014

I have gone ahead and shared your comments with Laura. She was beyond overjoyed to hear that she made a difference in your stay. I'm glad that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations. Looking forward to seeing you in the near future.

Shaune Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Two weeks stay in July 3-18, at this homely hotel. Super nice breakfast and a nice evening snack in evening provided by hotel. A very nice pool to relax in when u visiting during summer. Spent every day after shopping, sunbathing and relaxing before evening snack. The hotel has everything u need. A nice outdoor area for relaxing in evening with a nice drink. Or play pool inside. If I prefer the gym is available 24 hours. Very helpful staff. Just 5 min walk away from the Arundel mall. Where I walked everyday in the morning. Even was met by some deers in the little forest near hotel. Very nice. Perfect location with all restaurants and food shops around. Can't fault anything. Going back in October for another 2 weeks. I really recommend this hotel. It's like being home, the hotel has a homely feeling.

Anna and Steve from Uk
Very pleased hotel guest.

• Stayed July 2014
Shaune J, General Manager at Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, July 28, 2014

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here, and we certainly are looking forward to having you again.

May thanks,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We are members of the Marriott rewards program. Over the last couple of years we have enjoyed staying at the Marriott Residence Inns. We made reservations at the Marriott Residence Inn at Arundel Mills, Hanover MD(clode to BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport) on April 7, 2014 to stay there on June 10, 2014. On June 10, the date of our stay, we got an email from Debra Winkowski, Asst. Manager that our room was not available and that they could transfer our stay to a Springhill hotel. Feeling stuck and out of time, we accepted. We went to the hotel and it was not nearly as good as a Residence Inn. I work in a hotel and I know I cannot sell a room that isn't available. I think they gave our room to someone else because we were paying with Marriott Rewards points. Maybe this was an isolated action by an incompetent manager but I will find it hard to trust Marriott to honor my reservations.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

I am terribly sorry that we were unable to honor your guaranteed reservation here at the hotel. We would not chose to move a guest due to their payment method, unfortunately we had a guest that was staying with us to be close to one of the military bases and they ended up needing to extend. We do everything in our power to honor any, and all guaranteed reservations. Due to us being an extended stay hotel, where guests stay for months at a time, this may happen on rare circumstances. If in the future you plan on giving us another try, please don't hesitate to contact me directly and I will make sure we put you in our best available room.

Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I had purposely earned and used points from my affiliated credit card to book a stay at this Marriott hotel for an event on July 12,2014. We booked our room on April 22, 2014 using the rewards code we were given. A full page rewards certificate was mailed and we used this upon check in on 12Jul.

I should add that on 09Jul we were contacted by Maria via email and were asked to switch our reservation to a sister hotel, specifically the Hilton brand. After we confirmed that our reservation was redeeming a reward specific to Marriott she said never mind and we could keep our reservation. I thought that was odd.

Upon check in on 12Jul, the desk clerk was unsure about how to process the reward certificate. Maria was there and assisted her but they took my husband's credit card for incidentals. Okay we understood that and was assured his card would not be charged.

Our room was nicely decorated and clean. We had everything that we needed including a full kitchen. The bed was comfortable. Our breakfast the following morning was very good, and included eggs, sausage, potatoes, fruit and yogurt, juice and coffee.

Upon checking out 13Jul we were assisted by Laura and she confirmed what we were afraid of, the charge was on the account for the room, $150.29. She struggled with removing the charge authorization to my husband's credit card and finally printed out a receipt showing the charge against the card, still ensuring it would not go through. Laura took my husband's cell phone number and stated she would follow up with management and call back to confirm that everything was settled properly. We never heard back from her, but his card never showed the charge. However....

....I pulled up my credit card statement on 17July and found an authorization for this:

07/12/2014 RESIDENCE INNS ARU BWI, HANOVER. MD $310.00

Why on earth would they place an authorization on MY credit card that I never gave them? Even if it was the card I had earned the rewards on and redeemed the certificate for the stay, why would they need to do this and why for $310?

My husband called and spoke to Debra in management 17July and she assured the authorization would fall off in 5-7 business days. In anticipation of a large purchase, I needed the available credit to not be held up by an authorization that should have never been placed.

I contacted the credit card company 18Jul and was told to have the hotel manager fax a quick letter over to them stating they were not charging us the amount and they would remove the authorization freeing up the funds that day. We called the Residence Inn asking for a manager. Laura answered the phone and once she heard the matter, she didn't acknowledge or apologize for not following up as she had promised.

Debra came to the phone and stated she already talked to my husband yesterday about it. I explained that the credit card company could in fact release the funds if she would fax over the letter to their attention. Debra proceeded to tell me that she was busy with other people in the lobby, asking if I could hear them all in the background. I was stunned. What a way to let a customer know they are not important. She finally took the information and said she would try to get to it, if not it would be later on. Due to the non-committed response, I asked her to please call me back to let me know she was able to get the fax through. She took my number and I am sure you can guess that I never heard back from her.

We are Marriott rewards members and I am not going to go through all of the hotel affiliations that we have besides Marriott, but what I will say is that they have made it crystal clear from the start of this whole situation, we should be choosing someone else for our hotel stays. As of today, a whole week later, the authorization is still on my card.

While the room and food lived up to our expectations the most important part, customer service miserably failed. It was appalling and unacceptable that we were lied to twice during an experience like this and we will be sure to share this with everyone we know going forward.

Save yourself the trouble and frustration of incompetent people and poor customer service, go with Hilton or anyone else.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Shaune J, General Manager at Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, July 24, 2014

I am terribly sorry we failed to provide adequate customer service to you and your family. I'd like to speak with you further about your past stay. Your experience is not common for this hotel or Residence Inn by Marriott. Please feel free to contact me directly at 410-799-7332 or email me at shaune.johnson@marriott.com.

North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We found this hotel on a one night stopover going south. It was right off the highway. It and two other hotels were a little hard to find as they were hiding behind the Arundel Mills Discount Mall. If it is of interest, there is a Casino very close by if you walk through the other side of the mall. Our room was a one bedroom suite. The room included breakfast, which was very good.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

I am glad the hotel was able to meet and exceed your expectations. We are in a great location, close enough to the mall and casino, but nestled in an area far enough away that you don't hear the noise. I certainly look forward to having you again in the future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Baltimore has been one of the greatest places in the US that I have been to. The location of the hotel is amazing- right across from the mall. But the hotels inefficient, poor, pathetic transportation and staff are very annoying. Most of the staff are rude. The shuttle was once took over an HOUR to come pick me and my mother up from a restaurant which is 7 minutes away, so I walked to the hotel. Not only did my mother called but I called between different time periods and I got the same response the exact same time. Also the first time we called they said 10-15 minutes- that's the longest 10-15 minutes I've experienced. The staff should tell people if the shuttle is available or not and the CORRECT time it may take. Another thing I try to keep my space as clean as I can. I once found pieces of Canadian bacon from breakfast flicked up on the side of the wall from the maids it was disgusting.
If I was to recommend someone to go to this hotel, I wouldn't.

• Stayed July 2014
Shaune J, General Manager at Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, July 8, 2014

I'm terribly sorry that we did not meet, or exceed your expectations while staying here. We should be able to give accurate wait times to guests using the shuttle, and I apologize that this did not happen while you were here.

I will share your response with the team so another guest doesn't have a similar experience. I hope you do give us another try in the future, as I believe we have the cleanest rooms in the area.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

When making my appointment I asked for an early check in and was told "no problem." Upon arriving in the area I called the hotel and was told to "come on over" and that my room would be ready when I arrived. When I arrived at the hotel I was told my room was not ready and that I would simply have to wait. The room was not ready until approximately 3:15 rather than the 3:00 check in time. This was just the beginning of the problems with this stay. We checked in on a Wednesday and there is supposed to be managers receptions from 6-7:30. That night my family and I arrived at the reception at 7:00 and there was nothing left. There were several people standing around asking if there was anymore food for the reception and the manager said she "always" orders enough food and could not understand why everything was gone. We were able to get a soda and a couple of potato chips.

On the second day of our stay I could not connect to the Wi-Fi. When I called the desk I was told to call the IT help desk so they could help me get connected. When I checked out I found out I was charged for making the call from the room.

The breakfasts were OK but they were obviously understaffed and the supervisory and management personnel were not helping at all, actually they were nowhere to be found. On my last day I spoke to one of the kitchen personnel after the breakfast rush ended and she confirmed they have been understaffed and mismanaged for a while now. I have 75 employees and over 500 contractors that work for me so it bugs me when I see people working harder than necessary and not getting the support they need from their supervisors and/or managers.

The room was clean but the bed was very uncomfortable. I asked to have the mattress flipped but they never sent anyone up. My wife and I ended up doing this ourselves which did help us sleep a little better from then on. The noise level at this hotel is rather ridiculous to say the least. On the BWI airport side there is constant noise from the airplanes. On the Arundel Mills Mall side there is constant noise from the loud vehicles running through the mall paring lot most of the night.

On the afternoon before we were to check out I asked for a late check out time and was met with a bad attitude from the desk representative. She said it was against hotel policy. This was not posted anywhere in the hotel. As a matter of fact there was no information book in the room so there was no information regarding anything hotel related. There was a magnet on the refrigerator that had a couple of little details but I later confirmed they were outdated as well.

The kitchen, cleaning, and pool staff were very friendly and helpful. Everyone else had an attitude and acted like our presence was an inconvenience to them. I will never stay at this hotel again and would not recommend it to anyone. The Springhill Suites about 1 mile away is better in every way.

Room Tip: There are no quiet rooms due to the airport and mall.
Green Features: Recycling was available in the lobby but nowhere else.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

I am terribly sorry you did not enjoy your experience while staying with us. The hotel has recently undergone a change in management. I would like to personally speak with you and see if there is anything I can do to win you back. I can assure you that your recent experience is not typical of this hotel, and I am disappointed that you had a less than perfect stay.

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 410-799-7332 or shaune.johnson@marriott.com.

Shaune Johnson

Been to Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport? Share your experiences!