“Horrible kind of sweet.” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Hanover
“Horrible kind of sweet.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Baltimore has been one of the greatest places in the US that I have been to. The location of the hotel is amazing- right across from the mall. But the hotels inefficient, poor, pathetic transportation and staff are very annoying. Most of the staff are rude. The shuttle was once took over an HOUR to come pick me and my mother up from a restaurant which is 7 minutes away, so I walked to the hotel. Not only did my mother called but I called between different time periods and I got the same response the exact same time. Also the first time we called they said 10-15 minutes- that's the longest 10-15 minutes I've experienced. The staff should tell people if the shuttle is available or not and the CORRECT time it may take. Another thing I try to keep my space as clean as I can. I once found pieces of Canadian bacon from breakfast flicked up on the side of the wall from the maids it was disgusting.
If I was to recommend someone to go to this hotel, I wouldn't.

• Stayed July 2014
Shaune J, General Manager at Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, July 8, 2014

I'm terribly sorry that we did not meet, or exceed your expectations while staying here. We should be able to give accurate wait times to guests using the shuttle, and I apologize that this did not happen while you were here.

I will share your response with the team so another guest doesn't have a similar experience. I hope you do give us another try in the future, as I believe we have the cleanest rooms in the area.

Shaune Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

When making my appointment I asked for an early check in and was told "no problem." Upon arriving in the area I called the hotel and was told to "come on over" and that my room would be ready when I arrived. When I arrived at the hotel I was told my room was not ready and that I would simply have to wait. The room was not ready until approximately 3:15 rather than the 3:00 check in time. This was just the beginning of the problems with this stay. We checked in on a Wednesday and there is supposed to be managers receptions from 6-7:30. That night my family and I arrived at the reception at 7:00 and there was nothing left. There were several people standing around asking if there was anymore food for the reception and the manager said she "always" orders enough food and could not understand why everything was gone. We were able to get a soda and a couple of potato chips.

On the second day of our stay I could not connect to the Wi-Fi. When I called the desk I was told to call the IT help desk so they could help me get connected. When I checked out I found out I was charged for making the call from the room.

The breakfasts were OK but they were obviously understaffed and the supervisory and management personnel were not helping at all, actually they were nowhere to be found. On my last day I spoke to one of the kitchen personnel after the breakfast rush ended and she confirmed they have been understaffed and mismanaged for a while now. I have 75 employees and over 500 contractors that work for me so it bugs me when I see people working harder than necessary and not getting the support they need from their supervisors and/or managers.

The room was clean but the bed was very uncomfortable. I asked to have the mattress flipped but they never sent anyone up. My wife and I ended up doing this ourselves which did help us sleep a little better from then on. The noise level at this hotel is rather ridiculous to say the least. On the BWI airport side there is constant noise from the airplanes. On the Arundel Mills Mall side there is constant noise from the loud vehicles running through the mall paring lot most of the night.

On the afternoon before we were to check out I asked for a late check out time and was met with a bad attitude from the desk representative. She said it was against hotel policy. This was not posted anywhere in the hotel. As a matter of fact there was no information book in the room so there was no information regarding anything hotel related. There was a magnet on the refrigerator that had a couple of little details but I later confirmed they were outdated as well.

The kitchen, cleaning, and pool staff were very friendly and helpful. Everyone else had an attitude and acted like our presence was an inconvenience to them. I will never stay at this hotel again and would not recommend it to anyone. The Springhill Suites about 1 mile away is better in every way.

Room Tip: There are no quiet rooms due to the airport and mall.
Green Features: Recycling was available in the lobby but nowhere else.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

I am terribly sorry you did not enjoy your experience while staying with us. The hotel has recently undergone a change in management. I would like to personally speak with you and see if there is anything I can do to win you back. I can assure you that your recent experience is not typical of this hotel, and I am disappointed that you had a less than perfect stay.

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 410-799-7332 or shaune.johnson@marriott.com.

Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stayed at this location for 5 nights to be able to attend a graduation ceremony. The location is on the perimeter of the Arundel Mills Mall so there is quite a bit of traffic to get out onto the nearby highways, but no traffic noise at the hotel. We had a 1 bedroom suite, which was very clean and except for a missing smoke detector in the living room, seemed to be well maintained. The smoke detector in the bedroom was in place so we felt safe. The bed was just OK and the pillows were so soft as to be almost no support. The nightly food provided was good and certainly appreciated. Breakfast was good, but tended to lack variety over the 5 days we were there. On a real positive note, the young lady who checked us in, when I asked where close by I could go to buy ice until the refrigerator in the room could get some made, she asked if I had a cooler, which she had me bring back to the lobby and she got me some ice from their kitchen icemaker. Fantastic service which was very much appreciated.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review retiredjld-fl,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the hotel while attending a graduation in the area. I apologize you felt our breakfast lacked variety; we do rotate our breakfast options daily to give you a better selection. I certainly look forward to having you stay again in the future.

Fairfax, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Looks are deceiving, but a sleepless night is not. A very nice looking hotel, with the worst mattress and poorest pillows I have ever had at a Marriott property. And as Marriott Gold I have been to a lot. You can always tell when a hotel is cutting corners. The mattresses and pillows need to be replaced. And not serving yogurt for breakfast on weekends to save pennies is not acceptable. Will not return.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Raelynn S, Manager at Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to send us this review. We are sorry about your mattress and pillows, some of them have been replaced and we will continue to replace the others as needed. I'm also sorry that you did not enjoy our breakfast, we rotate items on a daily basis so our guest can have different options throughtout their stay. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will reconsider staying with us next time you are in the area.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights on a business trip and wouldn't think twice about staying here again whether on business or for pleasure.

Check in was efficient, rooms were excellent with everything you could need. The 'happy hour' snacks and $1 beer is a great idea especially if you're staying at the hotel for an extended period as it's a good opportunity to meet the other guests.

The location was convenient for the airport and just a few minutes walk from Arundel Mills for dinner and/or shopping.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Raelynn S, Manager at Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
gourmet_tastic,

I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Residence inn Arundel Mills, I hope to see you next time you are in the Hanover area.

Kind Regards,

Raelynn
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

This is a good choice for longer term work-related stays if you need to be in the area. I don't think I would recommend the hotel as a base to see Baltimore or Washington -- it is kind of in the middle of suburbia.

The studio room was comfortable and well set up. There is a dressing area, full kitchen, seating area and desk. The WI-FI worked great.

My only gripes are that housekeeping forgot to refill the free popcorn one night (that free popcorn is really important when one is working late) and that the desk was strangely located in front of the door. I preferred to work at the breakfast bar in the room as it was more comfortable.

Breakfast is fine -- typical for hotels in this range. The evening receptions vary - get there early as the food goes fast! The manager's reception is worth going to. Would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
marcusandgriffenNYC,

Than you for staying with us at the Residence Inn Arundel Mills. I am glad to hear your feedback and I hope to see you next time you are traveling to the Hanover area.

Kind Regards,

Raelynn
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Relax atmosphere. Very helpfull desk clerck. Had room 131. Everything was there. Large room. WiFi free. Breakfast was okay. Just cross the street for the ugh Mall. Many eating facilities. I would come back again when doing busuness in the area.

• Stayed April 2014
Raelynn S, Manager at Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Hans750,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us while on business in the Hanover area. I am very pleased to hear that the accomidations suited you needs. I hope to see you next time you are Maryland and doing buisness in the Hanover are.

Kind Regard,

Residence Inn Arundel Mills

Been to Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport? Share your experiences!