“Worst Hotel Experience in Years” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Hanover
“Worst Hotel Experience in Years”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

When making my appointment I asked for an early check in and was told "no problem." Upon arriving in the area I called the hotel and was told to "come on over" and that my room would be ready when I arrived. When I arrived at the hotel I was told my room was not ready and that I would simply have to wait. The room was not ready until approximately 3:15 rather than the 3:00 check in time. This was just the beginning of the problems with this stay. We checked in on a Wednesday and there is supposed to be managers receptions from 6-7:30. That night my family and I arrived at the reception at 7:00 and there was nothing left. There were several people standing around asking if there was anymore food for the reception and the manager said she "always" orders enough food and could not understand why everything was gone. We were able to get a soda and a couple of potato chips.

On the second day of our stay I could not connect to the Wi-Fi. When I called the desk I was told to call the IT help desk so they could help me get connected. When I checked out I found out I was charged for making the call from the room.

The breakfasts were OK but they were obviously understaffed and the supervisory and management personnel were not helping at all, actually they were nowhere to be found. On my last day I spoke to one of the kitchen personnel after the breakfast rush ended and she confirmed they have been understaffed and mismanaged for a while now. I have 75 employees and over 500 contractors that work for me so it bugs me when I see people working harder than necessary and not getting the support they need from their supervisors and/or managers.

The room was clean but the bed was very uncomfortable. I asked to have the mattress flipped but they never sent anyone up. My wife and I ended up doing this ourselves which did help us sleep a little better from then on. The noise level at this hotel is rather ridiculous to say the least. On the BWI airport side there is constant noise from the airplanes. On the Arundel Mills Mall side there is constant noise from the loud vehicles running through the mall paring lot most of the night.

On the afternoon before we were to check out I asked for a late check out time and was met with a bad attitude from the desk representative. She said it was against hotel policy. This was not posted anywhere in the hotel. As a matter of fact there was no information book in the room so there was no information regarding anything hotel related. There was a magnet on the refrigerator that had a couple of little details but I later confirmed they were outdated as well.

The kitchen, cleaning, and pool staff were very friendly and helpful. Everyone else had an attitude and acted like our presence was an inconvenience to them. I will never stay at this hotel again and would not recommend it to anyone. The Springhill Suites about 1 mile away is better in every way.

Room Tip: There are no quiet rooms due to the airport and mall.
Green Features: Recycling was available in the lobby but nowhere else.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Shaune J, General Manager at Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, July 8, 2014

I am terribly sorry you did not enjoy your experience while staying with us. The hotel has recently undergone a change in management. I would like to personally speak with you and see if there is anything I can do to win you back. I can assure you that your recent experience is not typical of this hotel, and I am disappointed that you had a less than perfect stay.

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 410-799-7332 or shaune.johnson@marriott.com.

Many thanks,
Shaune Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stayed at this location for 5 nights to be able to attend a graduation ceremony. The location is on the perimeter of the Arundel Mills Mall so there is quite a bit of traffic to get out onto the nearby highways, but no traffic noise at the hotel. We had a 1 bedroom suite, which was very clean and except for a missing smoke detector in the living room, seemed to be well maintained. The smoke detector in the bedroom was in place so we felt safe. The bed was just OK and the pillows were so soft as to be almost no support. The nightly food provided was good and certainly appreciated. Breakfast was good, but tended to lack variety over the 5 days we were there. On a real positive note, the young lady who checked us in, when I asked where close by I could go to buy ice until the refrigerator in the room could get some made, she asked if I had a cooler, which she had me bring back to the lobby and she got me some ice from their kitchen icemaker. Fantastic service which was very much appreciated.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review retiredjld-fl,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the hotel while attending a graduation in the area. I apologize you felt our breakfast lacked variety; we do rotate our breakfast options daily to give you a better selection. I certainly look forward to having you stay again in the future.

Many thanks,
Shaune Johnson
Fairfax, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Looks are deceiving, but a sleepless night is not. A very nice looking hotel, with the worst mattress and poorest pillows I have ever had at a Marriott property. And as Marriott Gold I have been to a lot. You can always tell when a hotel is cutting corners. The mattresses and pillows need to be replaced. And not serving yogurt for breakfast on weekends to save pennies is not acceptable. Will not return.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Raelynn S, Manager at Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to send us this review. We are sorry about your mattress and pillows, some of them have been replaced and we will continue to replace the others as needed. I'm also sorry that you did not enjoy our breakfast, we rotate items on a daily basis so our guest can have different options throughtout their stay. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will reconsider staying with us next time you are in the area.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights on a business trip and wouldn't think twice about staying here again whether on business or for pleasure.

Check in was efficient, rooms were excellent with everything you could need. The 'happy hour' snacks and $1 beer is a great idea especially if you're staying at the hotel for an extended period as it's a good opportunity to meet the other guests.

The location was convenient for the airport and just a few minutes walk from Arundel Mills for dinner and/or shopping.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Raelynn S, Manager at Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
gourmet_tastic,

I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Residence inn Arundel Mills, I hope to see you next time you are in the Hanover area.

NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

This is a good choice for longer term work-related stays if you need to be in the area. I don't think I would recommend the hotel as a base to see Baltimore or Washington -- it is kind of in the middle of suburbia.

The studio room was comfortable and well set up. There is a dressing area, full kitchen, seating area and desk. The WI-FI worked great.

My only gripes are that housekeeping forgot to refill the free popcorn one night (that free popcorn is really important when one is working late) and that the desk was strangely located in front of the door. I preferred to work at the breakfast bar in the room as it was more comfortable.

Breakfast is fine -- typical for hotels in this range. The evening receptions vary - get there early as the food goes fast! The manager's reception is worth going to. Would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
marcusandgriffenNYC,

Than you for staying with us at the Residence Inn Arundel Mills. I am glad to hear your feedback and I hope to see you next time you are traveling to the Hanover area.

The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Relax atmosphere. Very helpfull desk clerck. Had room 131. Everything was there. Large room. WiFi free. Breakfast was okay. Just cross the street for the ugh Mall. Many eating facilities. I would come back again when doing busuness in the area.

• Stayed April 2014
Raelynn S, Manager at Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Hans750,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us while on business in the Hanover area. I am very pleased to hear that the accomidations suited you needs. I hope to see you next time you are Maryland and doing buisness in the Hanover are.

Kind Regard,

Residence Inn Arundel Mills
Crisfield, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Wife and I spent the night there on a Saturday night. Being within walking distance to a large mall and a huge casino meant crowded conditions but the folks here managed the crowd well keeping the common areas super clean. Staff were all very friendly and accommodating. In fact we were comped two adult beverages and bonus points due to our refrigerator being on the fritz and having to replace it with one of those apartment sized ones. Not really a problem as we didn't need the fridge anyway. We also hot a free upgrade to a two room suite.

The large crowd was barely noticeable as the hotel was quiet throughout the night and we had a great nights sleep on the comfortable bed. Complimentary breakfast was the standard buffet type but a slightly higher grade than most. Good food and plenty of choices.

Room Tip: Close to BWI Airport too.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Raelynn S, Manager at Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Lou C,

I am so happy to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay at the hotel. I am sorry to hear that your fridge did not work, but very glad that my staff tried there best to accomidate you. Thank you for understanding with that situation. I hope to see you next time you are in the Hanover area.

Raelynn

Been to Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport? Share your experiences!