“Nice hotel but problematic service” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Arundel Mills Experience
Ranked #12 of 13 hotels in Hanover
Norfolk, Virginia
“Nice hotel but problematic service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

No complaints about the hotel itself. It's new-ish and has a nice lobby area. The location is excellent, close to the Arundel Mills Mall, with a free shuttle to get you there. Our problem was with room cleaning. They missed one day after we had specifically asked to have it done on our way out. Nothing worse than coming back late and exhausted to an unclean room and no clean linens. (The night person at the desk was very kind and brought us more linens.)

The next morning I called down and explained our room hadn't been cleaned the day before and asked to have it cleaned early. Again, nothing, and it wasn't until I went down to the front desk and asked again that it got done. How can it be so hard to get a room cleaned over the course of two days?

One of the women at the reception desk had a perpetual frown. Even a request for the free shuttle was met with an unhappy sigh and a muttered, "He just left here and I don't think he's available." However, when called, he was. In all cases she seemed to prefer saying "no" over "yes."

Finally, the beds are terribly uncomfortable. Not much to be done about that.

On the whole, I guess the location outweighs the other negatives, but because of our personal experience, we'll probably stay at the nearby Hampton (which looks quite nice from the outside and also has a free shuttle) the next time we stay in the area.

My husband is a platinum level Marriott member and has spent many, many nights at Marriott hotels to get to that level. It's always a disappointment when one of the hotels does not meet reasonable expectations.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
tad s, Manager at Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is always helpful to see our service from the guest perspective. I'm very sorry about your concerns with the housekeeping service. I will address these with our Executive Housekeeper. There is no excuse for unfriendly service in the hospitality industry, it's just what we do! One of our key phrases here is "find creative ways to say "yes"!"

Please know that your experience is not typical. I hope you will try our hotel again on your next visit to the area.

70 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed here for 50 odd days and loved every minute of it. Being across the carpark for the Arundel Mills shopping mall was great. It meant I could walk over to the centre without trying to find a carpark as it can be quite difficult on weekends. There are plenty of restaurants that surround the shopping mall and within 5 minutes of the hotel. There is also a casino 5 minutes away.

The hotel has a gym, laundry with plenty of dryers, free breakfast every morning, a supper service as well although I didn't use this as there is a full size kitchen in your room. There is plenty of carparking and and also has free wifi and a printer down stairs.

The rooms were cleaned daily and were very thorough.

Room Tip: Ask to stay near some stairs as the two lifts are soooooooo slow.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
tad s, Manager at Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for choosing Residence Inn Arundel Mills as your "home away from home" while on extended travel! Our team works hard every day to make our extended stay guests feel at home and appreciated. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of our excellent location adjacent to Arundel Mills Mall and Maryland LIVE! Casino. We are already looking forward to your return visit! (sorry for the slow lifts!)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed at the hotel with friends in June. The hotel is modern and clean. The rooms are spacious and have everything you need and more. Restaurants, a casino and mall are within walking distance. We will definitely book this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
tad s, Manager at Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for submitting a review of our award winning hotel! We love to hear from our guests! Our location on the grounds of Arundel Mills shopping, dining and entertainment complex and Maryland LIVE! Casino makes us the perfect choice for a fun and action packed trip. Thank you for choosing Residence Inn Arundel Mills! We'll see you next time!
Nanjemoy, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed at the hotel on a Friday night after spending the evening at Maryland Live Casino. the location is very convenient to the casino and shopping. The room was very spacious, clean and cozy. There was a full kitchen. The only negative comment I have is that we went down to the free hot breakfast at 9:30. It ends at 10 am but when we got there they were out of everything. We had to wait about 15-20 minutes for them to make eggs, sausage and potatoes and bring more batter for the waffles. I will say it was worth the wait, the food was really good.. There was a girl that was working in the dining area that was really friendly and tried her best to get us food in a timely manner, the staff at the front desk were also very pleasant. I recommend this hotels and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review! Glad you enjoyed your visit to our hotel and the awesome shopping and entertainment at the Arundel Mills Mall. We hope you were a BIG winner at Maryland LIVE! Casino! Please accept our apologies regarding the delay in food service at the complimentary breakfast. Our busiest time on the weekend is between 9am and 10am so we are constantly cooking food to make sure it's hot and fresh! We look forward to seeing you soon-
New Haven, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I've stayed at over 34 Residence Inn by Marriotts in the past 10 years, and this by far is the best. This hotel is nestled in a secluded and beautiful location and is in walking distance from the Arundel Mills Mall and plenty of restaurants. The staff were great as well.

• Stayed June 2013
tad s, Manager at Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit.
Falmouth, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

When traveling by car, we like to stay in a Residence Inn. Having a kitchen and a free breakfast is convenient and the suite allows me to stay up late and read or watch a movie without disturbing my wife. Check in was easy and our room was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
tad s, Manager at Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
We are pleased that you prefer Residence Inn as your "home away from home"! Thank you for staying with us and come back soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This was an unexpected stay but I am so happy we made the decision to stay here!! The staff was very pleasant and appeared to enjoy working here. They were in a playful mood (even thought we checked in around 9:30 pm). Check-in was a breeze. The room...amazing!! The room was very inviting and felt like I was at home. It was ample space yet warm & cozy. I love the wall decor. There was a full kitchen (not kitchenette). And I could not believe the fireplace...very romantic!! Unfortunately it was around 70 degrees so my boyfriend made me turn it off, lol, but still very nice feature to have. They had a nice variety in the "market" and the free breakfast was awesome! I love belgian waffles and I got to make my own. Their breakfast menu could accommodate any traveler and I really appreciated that. The cleaning staff were pleasant and I hated to leave this hotel. I plan to visit the area again this weekend & guess where I'm staying...yes, here!!! :) AND it's right near a mall & Maryland Live Casino!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
tad s, Manager at Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for staying with us! Our team appreciated your comments about our "playfulness". FUN is a huge element of our culture and we are always glad to include our guests! We look forward to inviting you back-

Been to Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport? Share your experiences!