“Kicked us when we were down” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #5 of 13 hotels in Hanover
USA
“Kicked us when we were down”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My family and I have always stayed at Marriott hotels when we travel. We have never had such a horrible experience. Starting from the moment we checked in it was nothing but trouble. I suggest nobody even considers this Residence Inn the next time you're in the Baltimore area, there are plenty of hotels with staff whom are actually interested in customer service and hospitality.

We were going to Baltimore for the funeral of my mother's father, a veteran and retired police captain from the b&o.

My father reserved 2 rooms, one double and one single, and chose this hotel because of our loyalty to Marriott and because they offered a pet friendly environment. When checking in we asked to adjust our reservations if possible to a second double room, we were told that's impossible. They told us they had 2 doubles left, but they needed those in case someone came in to books them. It was 9 pm, we wanted to pay the extra cost for the room. My sister had to pose the question "so If I walk outside, change my name, and walk in to book a double room, you will give it to me?" The desk attendant replied that yes they would. So she did just that, and got the room....what the heck?!?

The stay after that was ok, the rooms were clean and nice. The decor is a little strange and disorganized, mismatched and seemed as though they were chosen for the colors instead of theme. The breakfast was nice, but the dining area was a little brisk near the windows. Not much you can do about that when it's so cold.

The second evening of our 4 day stay my girlfriend, sister, and myself were all rather cold and went down to the front desk to ask for an extra blanket, the man at the counter cracked what may have been a sarcastic "No!" Then proceeded to walk into the back. After it seemed the guy just walked in the back and stood there for a second and walked back out he said "It seems I am out of blankets, sorry." Ok whatever, not a big deal, just crank the heat a little and I gave my sister the thing fleece blanket they had for the pullout.

We went to the wake and the next day the funeral, and when we would leave we put our small, quiet, friendly mini-schnauzer into a crate. She is potty trained, and has the sweetest disposition, so there were never any accidents or any damaged to anything in the room. We placed the card on the door so that housekeeping didnt need to be bothered by our little pup. Everything seemed ok.

On Thursday morning we were leaving and packing out our cars.

As my mother walked out of the lobby, carrying her deceased father's folded memorial flag ( the one which layer upon his casket), she was stopped by a blonde lady whom was working the counter. In one of the most rude gestures she stopped my mother and proceeded to explain that they didn't know we had a dog (even though we would walk through the lobby with her to take her out, we walked in with her at check in, and we checked the box in our online reservation that we had a dog) and because we had a dog they should have charged us an ADDITIONAL $100/day, but mentioned that because we were there for bereavement they would "let it slide". She continued to give my mother an attitude that "you better not have left any poop bags or accidents on the floor, because then there would be an issue" we spent nearly $1500 for a 3 night stay.

Why even mention anything? Especially to the woman whom lost her father, and you know that she has.

We would have been less offended had you spit in her eye.

I have worked in customer service for over a decade, I am currently a manager of a high end catering business in Connecticut, and my sister is a manager of a restaurant in Pittsburgh. I have never seen a hotel treat their patrons with such rude behavior.

NEVER again will we stay at the Arundell Mills Residence Inn, and this will sway our decision to stay at Marriott hotels in the future.

Mr. Marriott would have been ashamed. They are a disgrace to an otherwise stellar company.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel, rude and unhelpful.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
tad s, Manager at Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for your candid feedback. I am sorry that your stay was not up to your expectations.

55 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed here for the inauguration. It was excellent, from the rooms to the staff and the breakfast.

We stayed in a one-bedroom suite for seven (7) days. The rooms were super clean and spacious. The furniture and décor was updated. The only drawback is the walls are very thin, so watch what you say, the people walking down the hall will hear you.

The breakfast and dinner socials were excellent. By the way, this is hotel did not serve the mediocre continental breakfast, there were pancakes, waffles, eggs, bagels, country cooked potatoes with meat in them, pork sausage links, beef sausage etc. The breakfast bar had a variety of choices.

The staff was friendly and accommodating. We had no problem with setting up our shuttle ride to and from the train station (we used the train to go into Washington). The driver was even helpful with suggestions of places to eat in the local area. I have stayed at a lot of Residence Inns and this is by far the BEST property.

The hotel looks as pictured on the website. We had some of our friends come over that were in town for the inauguration, we sat in the lobby, ate together and fellowshipped. What can I say; this hotel is very warm and inviting. You can’t go wrong staying here. If I were visiting the Washington/ Baltimore area I would defiantly stay here again, it is easy access (even walking distance) to the local shopping mall, eateries, and grocery store.

Thank you Marriott for a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor did not hear much noise above us.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
tad s, Manager at Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for your review! Our team works hard every day to make special connections with our guests and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay. Don't wait four years until the next Inauguration to come back!
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed here for a 4 day business trip which was fine - although I had planned to stay here as part of my holiday beforehand, so glad I didn't as I really would have been bitterly disappointed.

For business it was fine, eating breakfast from polystyrene bowls with plastic spoons was a little disconcerting and having to walk down to reception to grab some hot water for a cup of tea wasn't great either.

Staff looked bored and spent most of the time on the phone to friends instead of serving customers, I felt like I was an unnecessary distraction. The whole place was tired and depressing. One of the shuttle bus driver was rude and I almost feared for my life riding alongside him.

The great position of the hotel makes it easy to walk to Arundel Mills Mall.

There are some new more modern and far cheaper hotels open in the Arundel Mills area with five star quality - I was sent here with my company although given the choice I wouldn't stay again. If The Residence Inn want to compete some significant improvements need to be made.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We are getting ready to start a complete renovation of our lobby, library, billiard room, dining room and hallways. Please come and check it out in Spring 2013!
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My family and I had a great stay at this hotel while we were in town to visit the Arundel Mills outlet and Maryland Live! Casino. The facility itself is right across the street from the Mall/Casino. They offer a 24 hour shuttle back and forth. All you have to do is call!
Our suites were just as described! If we had not eaten out, we could have cooked in our rooms easily. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were very clean. Our one bedroom suite had a tv in the "great room" and the bedroom. My sister had a studio suite. This is more suitable for pepole who don't mind sharing open spaces ( a family with young children, girl/guy friends, etc)
The stay also includes a free hot/cold breakfast,which on Sunday included scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, oatmeal, yogurt, etc. a selection of juices. Coffee and Hot Chocolate are availbale 24-7.
The first floor also accomodated a two computer business center, a sitting room with a TV, a room with a billiard table. All of the first floor was nicely decorated for the Christmas holidays.There is a pool, but it is outdoors.
The staff was SUPER friendly and helpful. We thank Michelle Attai and Sharon Dorsey! We didn't get the name of the the lady who was on duty when we checked out Sunday afternoon. She was just as awesome!
When we come back to the area again, we will be sure to book our stay at this hotel again. We could make this trip in a day, but it would be SO worth it to us to book another stay at this fabulous facility!

Room Tip: Our room faced the front, but we could not hear any noises from the road.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments about our hotel. Our team works hard make each of our guests feel appreciated. We are glad we made a connection with you and look forward to welcoming you back!
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

The perfect stay for a rewards guest. I'm sure the service is equally great for any guest and was very pleased with the upgrade and treatment staying on reward points. It is ideally central to many attractions, a short drive from Baltimore's Inner Harbor, and shopping/casino within walking distance. Lots of restaurant choices are also within a short walk or drive. You can't beat the price for all of this in an ideal location...and again, the service was superb at every encounter from checkin to breakfast to departure.

Room Tip: excellent value and upgrade using gold level points
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
York, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

This was a last minute Saturday stay decision for my husband and I. Glad we did. First let me say, that I made the reservation online and there was no problem checking in. I requested an early check-in and it was made available. Front desk staff, "AWESOME". Made us feel special from the time we arrived. The room was nice and comfy. Separate living room area with large color tv, kitchenette, separate bedroom w/queen bed w/color tv, and bathroom w/full bath and shower. We even forgot some of our toiletries and the front desk was more than accommodating.

Did I mention, location, location? We were .1 miles from Arundel Mills Mall. Obviously shopping abounds, but Arundel Mills also includes the new casino, "Maryland Live" for those that enjoy the sport. There are several restaurants within the casino including the Cheesecake Factory. There is also a buffet for those that simply want an array of selections. For those that may not want to be a little more frugal, there are many restaurants right on the strip and an eatery within the mall.

So after a full day at the mall and all its offerings, head back to Residence Inn to a very comfy bed and a good night of slumber. Don't forget to make it down to the FREE breakfast buffet the next morning. The offerings were scrambled eggs, cereal, sausage, salsa and fixings (for the eggs), fruit, waffles, biscuits, juices, milk, etc. I think you get the picture….a little something for everyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel for quick stop over to experience dc area. Apartment are large and comfortable. Bed are a little be hard but sleeps well. Hotel has a shuttle bus to airport and nearby mall and train station so call before coming to avoid paying for cab. Breakfast is nice though limited in spread. Hotel also has a pool and very nice snooker table. Have no regret staying here.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport? Share your experiences!