“Great Value!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 13 hotels in Hanover
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great Value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We were hosting thanksgiving at our house and since our house is small but we have a big family we booked a few rooms over the holiday at this hotel since it was a very good deal compared to the other hotels. I was a bit worried as my sister is a bit picky but the whole family was happy with the hotel as it was new and well kept. I was surprised when my sister showed up Thanksgiving morning with a couple of appetizers! She said the room had a kitchen with pots and pans and a cooktop so she went to the local Safeway and made them in the morning. I actually just came back with my husband one weekend and stayed while going out to the Casino nearby one night. We will recommend to others coming to the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

66 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

We were very impressed by the service the staff provided. The guestroom was also very well appointed and the whole family was happy. The bathroom and kitchen were spotless and it was helpful to have the kitchen with the family. Very good value and If we are in the area we will come again definitely.

• Stayed January 2013
Haverhill, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This hotel was filled with stink bugs. I flushed 17 of them down the toilet before bed. I asked for another room. The hotel said they were full. I asked for another hotel they said it would be on me. I wouldn't get a refund. The floor was not cleaned. The workspace was not washed. There was food left on it from the last guest. Stay AWAY

Room Tip: Please find another Hotel
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
cwsarundelmills, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Arundel Mills / BWI Airport, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback on your most recent stay at the Candlewood Suites. As General Manager, I was concerned to read of the challenges you experienced during your stay. I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you were faced with due to the stink bugs and cleanliness issues with your room. We do take guest feedback very seriously and have treated the entire hotel for stink bugs after reading your comments. We haven’t had any complaints since then. We have also addressed your concerns with our housekeeping staff. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Candlewood Suites in the future. We hope you will consider providing us with another opportunity to provide you with the levels of service we truly pride ourselves on.

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Nice fresh and new looking. It is close to the casino and shopping. But there is one HUGE issue. It had a strong smell of heating gas in it. I told the desk and they offered to switch me, but I did not bother because the whole place had a smell from gas. They girl at the desk said that she "smelled it to and that’s they "had been having issues with the strong smell" She then proceeded to call the gas company and they came to the hotel to check it out. . She told me later on that it was something to do with the heating system but it was not harmful. Well let me tell you I should of slept in my car !! I have health problems so I was sick all night from the smell. I could not check out as it was Xmas day and late and there was nowhere else to go. I talked to the staff in the morning and they acknowledged that the place had a strong gas smell as well. The girls at the desk were very nice about it to me and tried to make it right. I left a message for the manager to call me. When he called he basically called me a liar and said there was “no smell” When I told him how sick the smell made me, he told me he wanted to "see my medical records from the doctor" After much rudeness and talking to me like I was crazy he offered me a full refund. I was satisfied and told him I would return back when I’m in town someday when problem is resolved. He told me to "not come back" Two days later I got a call from a secretary telling me they were only going to refund half my money. I do not even care about the money, I care about the smell and the harm it did me and could do to others. I also am appalled by the way this manager spoke to me

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
cwsarundelmills, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Arundel Mills / BWI Airport, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay with us in December and for writing a review. My apologies for a less than perfect stay and especially for the gas smell issue that you had to face while staying with us. I apologize for the error on behalf of the entire Candlewood team for the inadequate manager’s response. Your feedback assisted us to revisit our normal high level of service and address both the maintenance and the customer service issue. We do take guest feedback very seriously and have rectified the gas smell issue as of now. In hopes of winning you over, I personally invite you back and would be happy to discuss a possible future stay with you at your convenience Thank you for staying with us and I am looking forward to our further communication on winning you back.

Waldorf, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed there for New Year's Eve. The look of the room and the mini kitchen in the rooms makes this a very impressive choice. However, when we got back to our shortly after midnight I instantly saw a stink bug on the wall. Captured the critter in the trash can and within 2 minutes saw 2 more. At that point I could no longer stay in the room. Called front desk and was told we would be moved to another floor. Waited for 20 minutes and no one ever came. Called back to front desk and was told we had to come downstairs to get the key becasue there was no one who could bring it to us. OK that was inconvenient but I had to get out of that room. Got to new room and went right to sleep. Woke up on New Year's Day to shower and the tub wasn't even clean. DISGUSTING. Called front desk but by this time I was disgusted so my son and I gathered up our things and checked out. I figured with all I had been through I would have gotten some kind compensation but the front desk took our key and said have a nice day. I have never stayed at a hotel chain where our problems were not only fixed but the staff acted as if they cared. I will never waste money on this hotel again. There are tons of hotels in Hanover so they need to step it up or continue to lose customers

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the Candlewood Suites. Unfortunately I wish I was informed of this during your stay so I could have resolved any issue including the employee that was not 100% professional. As the manager of this hotel, I make customer service and satisfaction a priority. I agree this employee was neither professional nor a representation of the more then 20 employees that work for the hotel. We do take guest feedback very seriously and have treated the entire hotel for stink bugs after reading your comments. We haven’t had any complaints since then. If you have time, please call the hotel and ask to speak to the General Manager so so I can resolve the issue and prevent it from ever happening again.

I hope I will be able to address your concerns. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any additional comments, concerns or questions.

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I needed a place to stay near Ft. Meade for 2 weeks so I picked this hotel. I am pretty picky so seeing a "Now Open" banner when I pulled in to the parking lot was a good sign. The room was a nice size but still had a cozy feel. I cook almost every day at home but tend not to on the road. This room had a kitchen with a cooktop and being there for 2 weeks I decided to go to the Safeway nearby and getting groceries. The room was immaculate and is a very good choice in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed here while in town for a wedding. We had a block of 10 rooms and the manager took extra special care of us. We had asked for our rooms to be ready before checkin time because we needed to get ready before we went to the wedding and everything was ready as promised. Rooms were very clean and well appointed. The hotel is around the corner from a large outlet mall with plenty of dining options. Thanks to Candlewood Hanover for a great stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Candlewood Suites Arundel Mills / BWI Airport? Share your experiences!