“The Place For a Crab Cake Fix!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 102 Restaurants in Hanover
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“The Place For a Crab Cake Fix!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I heard this was one of the best places in the area for Crab cakes, so finally decided to give it a try.

We went on a Saturday night, early, at about 5 PM. This was good because within a hour there was a wait. So, if you are like us and not on a schedule, if you arrive prior to 5 PM then you won’t have much of a wait, if at all.

Service was pretty good. No complaints. For my main I had the double
Crab cake offering, which was about $28.00. The single Crab cake was like $18.00 so I went for the two. For appetizers we thoroughly enjoyed the mushroom stuffed with crab. I also had the cream of crab soup between the appetizer and the entrée. For the Crab cakes, I picked one broiled and one fried. Both were delicious, stuffed with crab, and I ended up having to take half of a Crab cake home because I was stuffed. We had to pass on desert. People keep asking me if I liked the fried or broiled better and while I would give the nod to the fried, both were outstanding.

While the restaurant is large, there really is not much room for customers waiting for a table, with it being a bit crowded between the check in and the front door. On the way out we were treated to some ear bleeding Hip Hop or Gangsta (or whatever it’s called these days) music by a young man sitting in his car in the parking lot who saw the need to blast dinner goers with a chorus that simply repeated the “N” word followed by “be drivers.” I just thought it was really rude to do that in a crowded parking lot, regardless of the music and I hope that was just a one off. Otherwise, a really good, filling, somewhat pricey meal, which we thought was well worth the trip.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Norfolk Virginia
“Timbuktu muah”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We found this restaurant as we were driving around to find a nice place for dinner. The food here is fabulous and the waiter that we had was spectacular I wish I wrote his name down. I would call him out by name and tell you to ask for him. The portions were fanominal they gave us such large portions of cole slaw that we asked for a to go container and brought it back to the hotel for a snack later on. The only issue that I had is we were sitting right under an air condition vent and I got cold. The restaurant is just off the interstate and definitely worth going to. We will definitely return there next time we are in the area.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Charlottesville, VA
“Stay far Away from Timbuktu”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This has to be one of the worst restaurants at which I have eaten. The overall odor in the restaurant of dirty dishwater and old fish is more than off-putting. I have dined here on more than one occasion and every time it has been the same. All of the food looks the same and pretty much tastes the same. I don't care how good someone tells you the crab cakes are; it is not worth it.

• Visited February 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Littleton, North Carolina
“"of all the gin joints ...."”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

when you walk in you feel you are in a different time. along the walls there are caravans, camels, palm trees and sand. I kept looking for Rick and expecting Sam to play it again. the food is good the clam chowder and cream of crab were yummy! we had the rainbow trout from the lunch specials and it was delicious! we had margaritas, rocks w/salt and they actually had tequila in them! (: we left happy and I couldn't help but hum "as time goes by"

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“No food worth the terrible service.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

A group of 11 got together for dinner. Due to our party being over 6 a tip of 18% automatically was added to our bill.
Our waitress, Nina, was terrible. We sat down, had to wait to even give our drink order. Ok she got that right. Then the bread. Well we didn't see her again until our dinner came. Now mind you, we had to go get a bus boy to find her so we could order more drinks. Dinner comes she gives us our food and leaves. Never once asked if we needed anything else. Hello we needed crackers and mustard for crab cakes and steak sauce for our steaks. Thank god for the bus boys.
The service was lousy. All 11 of us are not going back there again. If I need a great crab cake with excellent service, I know where to get one. G & M or Gunnings Two. They are not that far from this place.