“Worth a trip to Timbuktu” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 103 Restaurants in Hanover
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Baltimore, Maryland
“Worth a trip to Timbuktu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

A friend of mine wanted to go out for dinner on a weeknight, and he just happened to remember eating at a nice restaurant ten years earlier. We drove up to what seemed a desolate hill and drove into a brightly lit restaurant parking lot filled with cars. We checked in with the hostess and then waited about 20 minutes for our table. The place is modestly decorated...a kind of subdued elegance...with a series of connected dining rooms with tables to seat six, so you don't feel like your in a huge restaurant or banquet hall. Our waitress, Kathleen, arrived almost immediately. She said she had been working at Timbuktu for 15 years and I could tell with her bubbly personality that she really enjoyed working there. She knew the menu forward and back, and made recommendations.

My friend had the cream of crab soup while I had the more standard crab soup, both of which turned out to be excellent choices. Along with soup came our house salads and some fresh baked dinner rolls with room temp. butter (a nice detail). Our main courses both consisted of Tiimbuktu's crabcake, fist sized (or maybe a bit larger), broiled, nicely seasoned, and full of crab meat. My friend ordered the sirloin with his meal while I opted for the 1/2 baby back ribs. We also had baked potatoes which went mostly uneaten...there was just too much food!

Without drinks (we both had iced tea), our total bill came out to an unbelievable $64.00. That's low compared to the amount and quality of the food, not to mention the EXCELLENT service. If you're thinking seafood or steak, I'd put this place on your list for sure. I can't wait to go back, and take some more friends along.

Visited February 2012

ruth345
“Fantastic Crab Cakes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

When you reach the top placed in MD to have a crab cake, it becomes a matter of personal choice and quality. While Timbuktu always had a very good crab cake, on this visit they seem to have gotten even better. As a life long Marylander who has consumed more that her fair share of crab cakes, I can say this one was even better than G&M, but again, a personal choice. My brother had the crab imperial which was also first class. They have side dishes, but who cares! Everyone goes for the crab.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Lots of great seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed dinning here. I have always heard good things about this place , well after visiting last week, I am looking forward to returning. The food was delicious. Lots of crab in the crab cake... great prices too. We shall return. Job well done Timbuktu.

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Great Seafood!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Great Seafood! Good for family dinner. Recommend reservations for special occasions.

Alexandria, Virginia
“Outstanding crab cakes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

Best crab cake we ever tasted. Anytime we are in the area again, would definitely go back. Ambience 3 our of 5 but entree 5 our of 5. Good service from Kyle. Reasonable prices. Close to BWI.

• Visited December 2011