“Restaurant Ruins Everything!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Hanover
Mechanicsburg, PA
“Restaurant Ruins Everything!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2007

What a stay! We picked the Ramada because it had the cheapest park and fly deal. Check in went smooth and our room was well, just a room. Two beds, a bathroom, and a TV. My family was hungry at the time because we hadn't eaten since lunch at home. We went the Key West Bar and Grill. We knew there would be issues the momment we stepped in because the woman sat us down and gave us no menus. What kind of restaurant is that?! Then she said she would get to us whenever she had a chance. There were 3 other parties of people in there (waiting just like us). After 15 minutes, I got up to get menus. 10 minutes after that, the bartender took our order. We waited around 35 minutes for the food then. The people beside us started talking to us and complain about the service. The waitress even told one of them to sit down when he wanted another drink. The food did taste good. I have to admit that. Then the waitress couldn't bring up the bill on the computer. She didn't know how to add or work the cash register. Throughout the meal, the bartender and waitress would argue. Then to make it worst; the bar started karoke. The people were half drunk and sounded horrible. My family and I were glad to leave that bad atmosphere. Oh gosh....then we had to get breakfast at this place. You get meal coupons when you check in. They are worth $8 each. We asked for it to be quick, since we had to make our flight. It actually didn't take that long. The bagels, toast, and English muffin were burnt. Thank goddness the ride to the airport wasn't too bad. It was about 10 minutes away.
To sum it up the food was expensive, workers need a lesson in customer service, and overall they need to speed up their act. I don't think you are going to catch me back here.

• Liked — blueberry pie in vending machine...quickest food service
  • Disliked — restaurant
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2007

We stayed at the BWI Ramada on an icy night in February when the airlines were cancelling flights out of BWI and about a third of the residences in Anne Arundel County were without power. The Ramada, in notable contrast to other properties around the airport, did not gouge its customers (other hotels were charging $50-$150 premiums over rack). The front desk staff were courteous and helpful. The hotel itself is rather ordinary -- clean and well-maintained, if cheaply appointed. The restaurant appears to be understaffed; while the food was surprisingly good for an airport hotel, the service was exceedingly slow.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2007

I'm quite surprised there's a Ramada in the chain this awful! Pulled down the bedspread and saw (a) Hair and (b) A little bug. Need I go further? Pillows were lumpy. Sheets are paper-thin. Furniture falling apart. Bathtub dented and chipped. Room was ice cold - heat ran all night and never warmed up the room. (20 degrees outside) Slept in my clothes. Honest! Skip this place. Tell your friends!

• Disliked — It was nasty!!
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2007

My family held a birthday/reunion celebration here in November. The site was chosen due to its central location amongst the families. It's your typical Ramada--a basic hotel at which to sleep. Outdated rooms but clean with not-so-comfortable beds.

The Ramada has a larger "suite" where the family gathered the first night to meet and greet and a decent ballroom for our celebration brunch the following day. The food was decent--I was surprised to see hummus there--but the raspberry sauce(?) on the fish was "interesting." It wasn't necessary and was kinda scary-looking. The food, overall, was still pretty fresh and tasty.

The location is near the Arundal Mills Mall and so a few of the younger crowd went over to Dave & Buster's the night before. Aside from the horrible parking situation, it was a fun time.

Back to the Ramada--there is a bar downstairs and they allowed us to use the back of the restaurant to hang out later the second night. The beer selection was very limited and they didn't offer too many "typical" beers. There were a few but there were some beers I'd never heard of (and I am a beer snob).

The problem I had with this place was the check out. I had called the hotel THREE times prior to confirm my reservation at the group rate they gave us (my mom wanted to add on and then decided not to after all). All was good each time. However, upon check in, they charged us the full rate. Once we checked out, the front desk clerk couldn't figure out how to adjust the price. I offered suggestions such as adjusting the rate on my credit card much like restaurants do when they swipe and adjust for the tip or mistakes. He could not figure this out and made us stand there for over a half hour!!! He went into the back, called someone on a cell phone and never apologized for the delay blaming us that we should've told him about the mistake in price before he checked us out. We were running on a tight schedule and got very behind because of this disasterous man. I'm just glad we didn't have a plane to catch; otherwise, I don't think we would've made it. My sister had the same problem except, lucky for her, she caught it in time.

Bottom line: double check your bill upon check in and prior to closing out! The Ramada has outdated computers and incompetent staff!

• Liked — nothing stood out really
  • Disliked — the front desk staff!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
York, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2006

We booked this hotel because of the park and fly. Arrived around 3 pm and dropped our bags and left right away to visit family. That was a mistake. I should have paid more attention to the room. When we returned around midnight is when I got a good look at the room. It was filthy. I called downstairs and told them and they pretty much told me, 'so what'. The ride to the airport was another filthy experience. The van driver was rude, the van was dirty and in horrible condition. I contacted Ramada Inn when we returned home. I requested a refund and they decided to send me a partial refund and now won't explain or return my emails or calls. I WILL NEVER TRUST RAMADA INN AGAIN. There are too many nice hotels near BWI to stay in this dump.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
State College, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2005

Was a bit worried after some other reviews, but booked this hotel as a park and cruise deal. They have stopped the park and cruise arrangement since I booked, but when we got there thay said no problem, since we had booked when they were doing that. We parked, and the shuttle took us to the pier. When we returned 15 days later, we were picked up promptly at the airport (one-way cruise) and returned to the hotel, where we spent the night. Our room was clean, and exactly what you would expect in a mid-level hotel - no complaints. Shuttle drivers and desk staff were courteous, and we ended up not even being charged the park and cruise rate. Even if we had, the whole package was less than the cost of pier parking, so basically we got a night's rest for free. Would use them again as a Park and Fly, no problem.

• Stayed November 2005
Potomac, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2005

What a nightmare. We booked our room well in advance of the date we would be staying and utilizing the Park and Fly feature of this Ramada. Upon arrival, we were told the place was overbooked, there was no place to park the car and leave it for the duration of the trip, with the exception of parking on the street where it's clearly marked No Parking Zone. It was chaos in the lobby; when trying to get a sandwich from the restaurant after 10 p.m., the female waitress clearly let us know she was "inconvenienced" by the request, despite the fact food was still available and offered for guests if they just wanted sandwiches. The hotel hallways need cleaning and upgrading of carpeting where it's very worn, the vending machines were empty on numerous floors if you wanted to get a soda, and most importantly, the next a.m. when we reported to the lobby for our shuttle service at 6 a.m., we were told the shuttle was overbooked, they couldn't take us and would have to call a cab. They offered to remove the cost of the cab ($20) from our bill. Did they? No. We shared a ride with a flight attendant who had the misfortune of staying there the previous night. She clearly told us to choose several other Park & Fly options available from other hotels which far exceeded this nightmare of an experience.

To top it all off, the staff indicated the Manager frequently overbooks leaving the staff to deal with the chaos and hostility of the guests, despite the staff advising the Manager of the problems guests face with the overbooking.

Was there anything good that happened? Yes, we returned to our car and it had not been broken into. And the shuttle service back to the hotel was convenient from BWI. Bottom line - don't stay at this Ramada EVER!

• Stayed June 2005

Been to Ramada BWI Airport/Arundel Mills? Share your experiences!