“Just Hanging On” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Hanover
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Just Hanging On”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2008

The room was clean. The sheets were pristine, and the mattress was new. Some of the furniture in the room looked new, but this is an old hotel, and there were problems, particularly with the heat in my room.

The hotel is tucked off of the main road in a business area. I arrived Wednesday at 1am, and though the lot was well-lit, parking was scarce. The lobby was empty, and I could see 3 workers in the back room behind the front desk. There were Budweiser beer bottles on the table back there, and they were laughing and having a good time. Despite this, the desk clerk who assisted me was very professional. She put me on the top floor, in the very last room at the end of the hall. I think the hotel must have been unusually full because the heat was turned to "off" in my room, and it felt like they hadn't warmed up the room all season.

But the room was clean--there are barriers under the bed to make sure stuff doesn't roll under there; the bathroom was clean, and for someone slightly OCD about cleanliness, I had no concerns. The room itself heated slowly, but the bed's mattress remained icy throughout the night. When I moved the chair away from the radiator to allow for more heat to circulate, I found some men's socks balled up underneath that chair. Like I said--I'm a little OCD--so instead of touching them with my hands, I hackey-sacked them into the trash can. They went right in! Score! Though the room got hot, the bed remained cold. I slept with towels wrapped around my feet to keep warm.

Checkout was at noon and went very smoothly. I was there for a conference, so I quickly dropped my bags in my car and went back in. Their three conference rooms were nice, but you had to walk through the hotel's restaurant/bar, "Key West" to get to them, and even during a Thursday lunchtime, the bar was very smoky and busy. But the staff there were very professional and clearly tried to provide excellent customer service.

Overall, I would most likely not stay there again. The room was inexpensive--$99--but there are a lot of nice hotels in the area and would probably try something different next time.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2007

When we arrived at the BWI airport called for the hotel shuttle. We we told to wait 15 minutes. Twenty minutes passed and no shuttle. We called the hotel again and the reception said nobody called for shuttle from the airport so we waited for another 20 minutes and finally the shuttle showed up.

At the hotel we booked a room where our group (37 persons) can dine and use the room from 7pm to 12pm. We were quoted $30/person for buffet dinner. The food was not bad. At 10pm the server told us we have to leave the room because our time was up. We wanted to talk to the manager but nowhere to be found. Our party was spoiled because of the argument. The waiter started clearing the table and we all went outside and just continue our chats and because it was Christmas season we just shrugged off the incident as a lesson to be learned. Next time everything must be in black and white and not trust the word of any hotel manager.

Considering that all of us were checked in the hotel another two-hour stay in the part room would not make much difference.

The hotel itself is conveniently located near the airport and the facilities like restaurant, bar, and wifi were very good.

The shuttle service was not reliable. The free shuttle service going to the Arundal shopping mall was fine but going back to the hotel took a taxi because the shuttle did not show up. The other group has to call the hotel twice for the shuttle.
The hotel should let the guests know in advance if it would be able to pick them up.

Stayed December 2007
Richmond, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2007

My family and I just stayed here for one night and it was a great place to stay. Despite the fact that the pillows were very soft - which can make it a little uncomfortable at times - the room and staff were very helpful.

We stayed Thanksgiving night and there was nothing open for us to catch a meal. However, the night clerk directed us to the nearest mall ((which was obviously closed)) in hopes that maybe we would be fortunate enough to find an establishment open. And we did!

It was McDonald's, but you know what? Many people were on line there getting their "late-night snack on".

As I mentioned before, we only stayed one night ((for a Park-N-Fly purpose)) and the stay was perfect! The shuttle to the airport was on time and the driver was quite animated, and friendly and a pleasant person to meet. Thank you Mr. Driver! ;-)

Would we stay again? I would say Yes..

• Liked — The Park and Fly/Stay program. Excellent way to travel and be able to take your own vehicle.
  • Disliked — Their continental breakfast times are too short..I would love to see the hotel expand the hours for later commuters.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ft. Myers, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2007

Have stayed at this hotel at least a dozen times over the last seven years. However, we will NEVER stay there again. We booked a room for 20 July 07 on line on their website. Our plans changed and we cancelled. We were given a Cancellation Number, which we kept for reference. NOw we get our credit card bill, and there is a charge for a no show. The price is more than what we were initially going to pay. We called the hotel, spoke to the manager who was quite rude. He told us that according to their records when we called we made a second reservation. (WE did NOT), it was to cancel, because we were going to be in NJ that night not MD. We said we were calling AMEX and disputing the charge. He said he didn't care, and that we could NOT win this. So I can assume that they do this all the time. When one calls to cancel, it would be helpful if the clerk understands English, and knows the difference between cancel and reserve.

• Liked — Free Parking
  • Disliked — Customer Service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Clovis, NM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2007

Checked into the Ramada on 7/19/07. The sink didn't drain in my room so I was switched to another room. Room was clean and bed was comfortable. AC was noisy on low setting but worked fine. Ramada has a 4:40-6:30 Continental Breakfast which was great for people getting early flights. There were lots of guests down in the lobby at 5 AM. I wish that other hotels offered this. The Ramada compares favorably to other chain hotels and offers a restaurant and bar. Service was fast and prices were very reasonable. They had a breakfast buffet on the weekends. I don't agree with the other ratings. My room was clean and comparable to other hotels/motels in the same price range.

Stayed July 2007
Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2007

We stayed at the Ramada for our Family Reunion. We were told that the hotel had been recently renovated. The renovations must've been done in a secret location. The staff seriously lacked customer service. Almost all of our family members complained about something and were told..."There's nothing we can do about it". A few were even told to go find another hotel. If you desperately need a place to stay, I would recommend your car over this hotel.

• Liked — Checking out
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mechanicsburg, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2007

What a stay! We picked the Ramada because it had the cheapest park and fly deal. Check in went smooth and our room was well, just a room. Two beds, a bathroom, and a TV. My family was hungry at the time because we hadn't eaten since lunch at home. We went the Key West Bar and Grill. We knew there would be issues the momment we stepped in because the woman sat us down and gave us no menus. What kind of restaurant is that?! Then she said she would get to us whenever she had a chance. There were 3 other parties of people in there (waiting just like us). After 15 minutes, I got up to get menus. 10 minutes after that, the bartender took our order. We waited around 35 minutes for the food then. The people beside us started talking to us and complain about the service. The waitress even told one of them to sit down when he wanted another drink. The food did taste good. I have to admit that. Then the waitress couldn't bring up the bill on the computer. She didn't know how to add or work the cash register. Throughout the meal, the bartender and waitress would argue. Then to make it worst; the bar started karoke. The people were half drunk and sounded horrible. My family and I were glad to leave that bad atmosphere. Oh gosh....then we had to get breakfast at this place. You get meal coupons when you check in. They are worth $8 each. We asked for it to be quick, since we had to make our flight. It actually didn't take that long. The bagels, toast, and English muffin were burnt. Thank goddness the ride to the airport wasn't too bad. It was about 10 minutes away.
To sum it up the food was expensive, workers need a lesson in customer service, and overall they need to speed up their act. I don't think you are going to catch me back here.

• Liked — blueberry pie in vending machine...quickest food service
  • Disliked — restaurant
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Ramada BWI Airport/Arundel Mills? Share your experiences!