“I can NOT believe how nice this was........” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Maryland Live Casino Deal
Ranked #2 of 13 hotels in Hanover
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“I can NOT believe how nice this was........”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

This is a really nice hotel. I can't believe it.....you certainly wouldn't think so seeing as though it sits so far back in the hills of nowhere. OH! did I mention that its the BACK side of the Hilton???? Very weird. Anywho, It was great. Its so cozy, I felt like I was in my own apartment. It was very clean and the front desk staff of both side were the nicest people ever. The host on my side was Brandon.....I think that was his name......maybe Brenden???......well.....it was something alone those lines. He was amazing! He treated every guest like they were celebs! I love the separation of the bedroom from the living room and kitchen. Its definitely the best hotel near arundel mills.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

225 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Having already stayed at a few other hotels featuring a full kitchen and living quarters, I wanted to try something a little bit different. I have never tried the Homewood Suites brand and at the end of my trip, I was not disappointed.

The hotel was a tad difficult to locate at first because of the surrounding shrubbery and trees. The entrance is a little secluded and I ended up going into the Hilton part of the hotel first (Homewood Suites is on the 2nd floor).

The car rental building is also VERY close to the hotel. No need to hunt around and drive long distances to find it. It's practically just down the street! A few blocks away from the hotel is the Arundel Mills mall and is HUGE! (exactly similar to Vaughan Mills mall for those living in Toronto, Canada). If you need to get any shopping done, it is so convenient.

The staff was engaging and friendly. Cudos to the friendly staff serving food or cleaning the plates in the dining area. I loved the small snack meals offered by the hotel during the evening... it's a great way for me to at least curb some hunger after a busy day and to relax.

Upon entering my room, it had a very cozy feeling. I loved the sofa and ottaman.. I just lay back and let my weary feet relax. Room was clean and bed was comfortable. A plus is that the hotel is not located in the vicinity of traffic so it's nice and peaceful.

Minor annoyances -- business center could be improved. Seriously, one desktop computer isn't really enough. Have at least 2 or 3. Also, don't make them so slow... not sure what kind of machine it was but it was SLOW. Other similar hotels provide free printing as well.

I would surely come back again! In fact... I think I have another possibility of coming back to Maryland in a few weeks. This hotel is already penciled in as my first choice.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Sterling, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

Fairly new hotel but customer service seems to be lacking and not up to the usual Hilton standards. On the second day of our stay, my family returned at 9:30pm to our two bedroom suite after being out all day and were surprised to see that housekeeping did not service our room while we were out. I immediately called the front desk and spoke with the front desk representative who displayed what I can only describe as a "so what" attitude. She did not even offer an apology or offer to send housekeeping. Her uncaring and unprofessional attitude certianly did not meet Hilton's and Homewood Suites' promise to make it right. I had to ask for fresh towels which took almost 30 minutes to receive. There was no offer to empty trash or provide any other housekeeping services.

As a Hilton HHonors member for over 20 years and a frequent traveler, I know that not always do things run smoothly and there are oversights but at least it has been my experience that when the hotel has made an error there is usually an apology and a sincere effort to correct the problem and make it right. I, as the customer, shouldn't have to tell the hotel staff that I need housekeeping services and fresh towels when they failed to service the room. When housekeeping did service the room the next day, they did a very poor job in cleaning the room. The floors were not vacuumed, the shower and tub were not cleaned and the kitichen area was not cleaned. It's obvious that housekeeping is not a priority at this hotel and there isn't much oversight of housekeeping. Another issue is the smell of cigarette smoke in the common hallways. We had a non-smoking room; however, it seems the non-smoking rooms are not on a non-smoking floor. The hallways reeked of smoke. I don't understand how a hotel can still offer smoking rooms. Haven't they heard that cigerette smoke is harmful to include second-hand smoke. They just need to make Homewood Suites a smoke free environment like every other hotel. I also sent an email to the hotel manager outlining the problems with housekeeping which has gone unanswered. The accommodations at the hotel are nice hotel but it's really customer service that keeps the customers coming back and I'm not sure I would recommend coming back since there appears to be other hotel choices in the area that probably have better customer service, better attention to housekeeping, and can offer a completely smoke free environment.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
HWS-Arundel-Mills-GM, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Baltimore-Arundel Mills, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
jsg712 ,

I thought I had replied to this email last week upon returning from the holiday weekend, but I saw this review on Trip Advisor this morning and I wanted to make sure that you got my message. In addition, I wanted to inform you I had refunded one night of your stay due to the shortcomings of our housekeeping and guest service departments. Refunds usually take a few days to process, but you should definitely see the adjustment on your account by now. (my system says that it should have processed at your bank by 6/2, but please check)

While I understand that this does not rectify the problems you experienced at our hotel last weekend, we have a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee and I felt that in this particular instance that you should not be charged for the day of your stay that these problems occurred.

I agree completely with your email. When members of our staff are presented with service or product failures, it is their response and recovery efforts that measure our success. In your particular instance, our agent failed to take the proper steps to make sure that your problem was rectified promptly. This is obviously not the service culture that we are trying to create and I sincerely apologize for the lack of effort that was taken to correct your problem. I have shared your email with the staff in an effort to continually train our associates and improve upon our services. The exact situation you encountered will be a role-pay exercise in the future. Again, while this does not rectify the problems you encountered, your feedback will be used to improve upon our product and services and to assist in the professional development of our associates.

Thank you again for your feedback and I apologize in the delay of the response. If you do not see the adjustment that I made reflected in your account, please contact me. I hope that we may serve you in the future.

Warm Regards,

Bradford Clark
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

Stayed in Room 701 for a week last year while attending training in downtown Baltimore. Very clean, spacious, and comfortable. Evening "dinner" and breakfast was awesome, as was the staff. Although a 10 minute drive from the downtown area, it is right across the highway from Arundel Mills Mall and other shopping. I wholeheartedly recommend this hotel and hope to stay there again when I'm in the area.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Kaysville, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

This hotel is rather new (if you've ever stayed at the Baltimore-BWI Airport Homewood Suites, you'll appreciate the difference), and the entire building and rooms are in great condition. Our room, a one-bedroom suite, was clean and everything worked very well. The breakfast selection was good and included all the usual from Homewood Suites, including hot stuff like eggs, sausage, and hash browns, as well as fruit, muffins, bagels, cold and hot cereal, and yogurt. Dinner was adequate for something included in the price of your hotel stay. We were especially happy with the tortellini they had one night. The swimming pool was fun for the kids, and my wife and I tried out the hot tub, which was nice and relaxing. The cable channel selection is wider than at many hotels I've stayed at. Internet access in your room (wired or wireless) is free and I have never had any connectivity problems at this hotel. Housekeeping, overall, did a great job.

There were a few things — most minor, one major — that keep me from giving this hotel a better overall rating, though. Here is the list:

1. (This was the major problem for us.) Upon checking in, we asked for a crib for our baby. Staff promptly brought one up to our room. (Many hotels have those travel-style play pens, but here you actually get a crib.) The side did not work (did not slide up and down), so it wasn't possible for my wife to get the baby in and out. We called maintenance, and they did their best to fix the crib, which they said was the last one in the building. They couldn't fix it, and staff decided it was unsafe to use the crib after they'd been fiddling with it (we agreed). That was the end of having a crib, though. That was going to be interesting for a 5-night stay. They took the crib away and never offered to bring one if someone else checked out or to go buy a new one for us. We rigged something up and it worked, but that doesn't make you feel welcome at a hotel like they always claim to want you to feel.
2. Limited drink selection at dinner. They provide wine, beer, coffee, and Coke. What if you don't drink alcohol or caffeine? They had Sprite and apple juice. Seeing as how they have three kinds of juice out at breakfast and that Coca-Cola makes more than Coke and Sprite, I think they could have some more selection that way.
3. Unlike other Homewood Suites hotels, this one does not ever seem to have cookies out at dinner.
4. No caffeine-free teas.
5. Unlike other Homewood Suites, the coffee, tea, and hot chocolate stuff is put away after dinner and breakfast. You're out of luck if you come back from a meeting in the afternoon or want something a couple hours after dinner.
6. In my previous experience with Homewood Suites, housekeeping always loaded the dishwasher. On the one day we left dirty dishes, they did not.
7. Scanner in business center only scans to a USB drive. So, unless you've got a USB drive on hand, you can't scan documents. You'll end up having to fax stuff to people who need it (which they charge for). The busines center computer (there's only 1) worked correctly, but it's not really set up in such a way to truly help you manage paperwork you might have to work on.
8. The rooms do not have bathtubs. This would normally not be a problem, but if you travel with young children, baths are usually preferable to showers.

Except for the crib, those are minor quibbles. One should also be aware that since Maryland law requires pools to have life guards on duty, the hotel pool is only open from 4:00–9:00 p.m. on weekdays. We still recommend the hotel. Having a breakfast and dinner included, even if they're not just totally awesome, makes the stay a great deal, and the nice, new, clean hotel and grounds are much appreciated.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Dawgfan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

I must say I was very disappointed in my stay at the Homewood Suites Arundel Mills. The room I was assigned reeked of smoke. Also, the bathroom smelled like a locker room, disgusting. When I asked to change rooms, I was told they were all full. They claimed the room was non-smoking, but if definitely had been heavily smoked in. I had to stay in that room for 4 weeks (I was on an extended business trip). I finally got them to change out the shower curtain, which at least helped the bathroom a little.
Overall, the staff were not particularly friendly or helpful either. The front desk was pretty inept and could not do even the smallest task without the help of a manager. The only positive was the free dinner was great. Also, it is in a very good location, quick access to the mall and the airport. If I was paying $70 a night, this hotel would be fine, but definitely not worth anywhere near $150 per night.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Ft. Meade
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

Was here about two weeks ago before my housing was ready and noticed the horrific status of the stars and stripes. Mentioned it to front desk and they said vlad would square it away and that they had some bad storms. Cool.

Came back today to pick up a buddy in my unit for the o's game and saw they still haven't fixed it! There are tons of us guys in uniform that they stay here and they can't even get Old Glory right? I wouldn't stay here again ever!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
HWS-Arundel-Mills-GM, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Baltimore-Arundel Mills, responded to this review, July 26, 2010
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. As you know, our hotel caters to many government and military travelers and it is certainly not our intention to show disrespect to Old Glory by displaying a worn, tattered flag on our property. We have replace the flag and sent the old one to our local VFW for proper disposal. Thank you again for your feedback.

Bradford Clark
General Manger

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Baltimore-Arundel Mills? Share your experiences!