“Good Hotel Overall” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Hanover
Dawgfan
“Good Hotel Overall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

I had a good stay at this hotel. I definitely has a Modern/European feel to it, which I don't particularly care for. Especially in the rooms. I saw someone post that the rooms look like a display out of an Ikea catalog, and that couldn't be more true. The most annoying thing to me was their attempt to be "green". They didn't even put trash can liners in their trash can's, which I found to be unsanitary.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the location can't be beat. Overall I would recommend it. It is leaps an bounds better than some of the other hotels in that area.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Sierra Madre, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

From what I've heard this hotel is in its first year of being open, but it has some major problems to overcome. This is a lengthy review, if you want to skip it just know that there is no general manager at this time for this hotel and any problems you encounter will not be resolved during the time you are actually staying at this hotel.

The first thing you will notice is that there is usually only one person working the front desk and at times there is a line of 5 to 8 people standing waiting to check in. This becomes a huge problem if you want to check in or need help with something.

Here are some major problems that I encountered during my 5-night stay:

1) Pet Allergies. I had no idea this was a "pet friendly" hotel. The first two floors are used if a guest has pets staying with them. During check-in the hotel failed to tell me that my room was used to house dogs before my stay. One would think that the hotel would ask if you have any pet allergies before booking you or inform you that the first two levels are used for pet friendly rooms. This made for a very uncomfortable stay as I'm allergic to cats and dogs, but could be even more serious to someone who has a stronger allergy to pets.

2) Problems with the room. During my first night, around 4am, the window shade came smashing down from the wall. It seems that it was not properly secured to the wall. Other minor things such as the cordless telephone not working due to it missing its battery and the noise of the refrigerator cycling were also somewhat annoying.

3) Problems with cleanliness. After our first night housekeeping changed the sheets on one of the two beds. One of the beds had a grapefruit sized urine stain on the sheets housekeeping had put on that day. It was BEYOND GROSS. I stopped by the front desk, which had 4 people waiting to be checked in, there was only one person working at the desk. When I asked for a manager and I was told there was not one there at that time and asked for my phone number. I was called two hours later with a brief apology from the front desk and was told that a manager would not be there to take a look at the bed, but that they would have housekeeping change the sheets.

4) Someone breaking into our room. The largest problem I encountered at the hotel was during our second night. Around 6 to 7 am we heard knocking on our door even though we had a do not disturb sign on the door. After 2 minutes of knocking the door opened and a young man walked into our room un-announced and not wearing any type of uniform. As soon as he saw us in bed he yelled SECURITY! and bolted out the door and into the hallway. The hotel had no clue who this was as their security had left at 5am that day. We told "Amil" who claimed he was the general manager of the hotel that someone had broken into our room, he told us that he would immediately start an investigation and assured us that it was safe to stay at the hotel that we should not leave and that he would contact us by 9 pm that night. We never heard from him again

It turns out there is no general manager for this hotel. Apparently the person who was the GM left and they are "in-between" managers. They did not get back to us until the day after we got home. They told us it was a "simple" mistake, and said it was an employee of the hotel. They did not provide any further detail. We felt HIGHLY uncomfortable during our stay not knowing who had barged into our room. They really showed that they are not concerned about the safety of the guests staying at this hotel. It is next to impossible to talk to a head manager while you are at the hotel and they only are willing to really address the problems 3 to 5 days after you have tried to contact them, well after you've already left the hotel.

Most people do not encounter problems during stays at a hotel, but it is usually comforting to know that when you do have a problem that it will be taken care of in a timely manner. This hotel has beyond horrible customer service and has shown that it does not care about its guests. I have never in my life needed to walk out of a hotel and book at stay at another property. If I could go back in time I would have left for another hotel during the middle of my stay. I would not recommended to anyone the gamble of staying at this hotel. I had to contact the Starwood corporate due to all the problems I encountered at this hotel. The person in charge of the hotel did not have the courtesy of taking my phone call when the corporate office called, but instead kept to email and did his best to down play the situation. Instead of issuing me a refund the hotel gave me the equivalent to just over one nights stay in Starwood points, which is faaaar from getting my money back for this horrible stay. Their correspondence has shown that they have no intention of looking in and fixing these problems.

I'm a Starwood gold member and frequently stay at their properties. Usually when I face a problem during my hotel stay it is quickly resolved. I would not stay at either the Element hotel or the connected Aloft hotel. I would suggest staying at a Starwood property near the BWI airport or pick a different chain to stay at. It's sad that I have to vent my frustrations with this hotel over the Internet.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
elementgm, Manager at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, August 9, 2010
Hello and thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us at the Element Arundel mills. I want to take the time to apologize again for all the issues you encountered during your stay and the inconveniences that followed. You and I did not have the pleasure of meeting; however I know that you spoke with several members of our management team including our Regional Director of Operations during and after your stay. You brought several key areas of concern to our attention and I assure you the entire management team has been working tirelessly to ensure that these issues do not affect any future guests. Once again I am tremendously sorry for everything you encountered. I hope that you will continue to be loyal to the Starwood brand and perhaps one day stay with us again.
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Stayed at the Element for 3 days in June. Had a wonderful stay. Great personnel, super showers, exceptionally clean, comfortable beds, etc. The first time I went by myself. When I go back next week, my husband and daughter are going with me. I know the stay will be phenomenal.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Virginia Beach, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

This is perhaps my 8th time having a B2B networking event at the dual properties of the Aloft & Element Arundel Mills and without ANY doubt or hesitation...strongly recommend this property for business and consumer events. In fact this is the ONLY property I will stay at and/or have an event in the Baltimore area...and that decision is based on staff excellence and exceeding my hospitality needs.

First, I am month's past due for a written testimonial of service that my organization http://TceNow.com has received from entire talent team, but specifically Sr. Sales Manager Marilyn Conwell. In this age of economic recession which has led to the lack of true customer service or B2B relationship building...Marilyn sets a high standard of service and professionalism that I have not seen in a long time . She delivers "good business" extreme hospitality, event planning intelligence and partners with her clients understanding our needs.

As a national career, business and networking strategist, I say BOOK YOUR next company event, conference, reception, training, wedding or family reunion at EITHER of Marilyn's properties and you will be uniquely satisfied. Element & Aloft, you can quote me on that....ANY DAY, ANY TIME.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Hello and thank you so much for your positive remarks. It is so great to hear back from our guests. I will make sure Marilyn knows the very kind things you said. We are so happy that you have chosen us as your destination and hope to continue to provide you with the best service possible. Thank you again and we can't wait to see you again soon!
Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

If you like contemporary, modern, clean, upscale.....and you have a pet, this is your hotel. Love this place for allowing pets. Its hard to travel with a pet (7 yr old boxer) and stay in a super nice hotel. The price is right too. I wish all hotels chains would get on board like The Element Weston in reguards to pets. People that travel with pets take good care of thier pets. Thanks for being a pioneer for upscale hotels that allows pets!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
elementgm, General Manager at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, June 24, 2010
Thank you so much for your positive feedback. It is so nice to hear that soemone enjoyed our property and its amentities. Also it is always great when our guests bring thier four legged family members with them. We take pride in being a dog friendly hotel, we know how hard it is to travel with dogs sometimes. We are so happy to be a clean upscale destination for you and your best friend. We can't wait to see you and your boxer some time soon.
boston, ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

This hotel is beautiful, modern, and comfortable. All the details have been organized to ensure that families and business travelers have a comfortable stay. The bathrooms are spacious, and the rain showers are just marvelous. The stainless kitchen with the small sitting area is great for families on a budget or people on a special diet.

Breakfast was good: fresh fruits, breakfast burritos, cereal, yogurt, and hot drinks; the coffee bar in the lobby was a plus as well.

The only concern with this hotel, is that it is at a 25 minute drive from Baltimore, so if you are on a tourist visit, it is impossible to walk to town, or feel Baltimore's character, but if you need to be in the area for a business meeting, or a particular event in the area such as: a wedding, or a graduation, this is the hotel to be.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Macon, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

This place was absolutely fantastic. Extremely nice rooms with plenty room to spread out. Very large walk in shower. Lots of closet space and more drawer space than you could ever need. Great location with the Arundel Mall within walking distance. If you prefer not to walk, they will furnish a shuttle ride to the mall or several other restaurants that are close by. You may not need to go out to eat since they have some really good snacks and drinks in the afternoon. Don't miss the free breakfast either, there is a good selection from fruit to cereal to hot breakfast sandwiches. I spoke with 4 different employees during my one night stay and everyone of them were extremely friendly and very helpful in answering my questions. If you like the quiet bar scene there is a nice one in "The Loft" which is another motel that is connected to the Element. Check in and check out couldn't get any easier. This was my first stay at an "Element" but it definitely won't be the last. I am returning in early June for a few days along with two of my co-workers and have already made our reservations.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
elementgm, General Manager at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, May 28, 2010
Thank you so much for your review and all of your many compliments. It is always a pleasure to hear from a satisfied guest. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to our entire staff here and tell them to keep up the good work. We can't wait for you to come back and be your home away from home! Thank you again and see you soon.

Been to Element Arundel Mills? Share your experiences!