“Good accomodations at a good price” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Hanover
California, Maryland
“Good accomodations at a good price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We booked our room via hotels.com based solely on the price and location. We arrived around 9 p.m. and the front desk seemed to be handling a lot of housekeeping mishaps. That said, because of the commotion when we arrived the front desk upgraded our room. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean (although the furniture was well used), the bathroom had exactly enough towels no more no less. Basically we got everything we expected from this hotel. I wouldn't go over the top and say it was 5-star quality, but I would certainly stay again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: They do accept pets if you find yourself traveling with one.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Soogat,
Thank you for your positive review. We're happy to hear that your recent stay in Hanover met your expectations. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Danville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

This hotel is nice, but it did have some flaws. Nothing major. It was a great value and a great location. Unlike some of the other reviewers I didn't have any issues with the staff at all, everyone was very nice.

Some flaws were stains on the carpet of the hallways, hot items not being put out on time for the free breakfast, debris and trash came out of the sofa bed when it was extended out, NO extra pillow, sheets, or blankets to put on the sleeper sofa, sticky floor in the kitchenette area of the room, rumbling in the room as the planes go by overhead.

All in all because of location and price and comfy beds I would return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We arrived at 3pm on Friday, August 30 for our family reunion. The hotel looked ok although oddly shaped. I requested to be relocated to another floor because the room was next to the elevator. We had to wait for 30 minutes for another room. The sheets in the room were dirty so we had to wait for another 30 minutes to get them to clean the room. According to the website the hotel had a pool, what it didn't say is it was a shared pool with the adjacent/attached Aloft hotel. The pool was smaller then my own backyard pool, indoors and wasn't open until 5pm on Friday. With a family reunion, a family birthday party and a wedding booked the pool was crowded. The hotel told us there was a happy hour at 5-7pm so having been to the Aloft in NJ happy hour we decided to go to the bar until our family events began. We were immediately told by someone at the hotel that the happy hour buffet was only for the wedding group, we couldn't use the pool table and we could only sit in one section of the lobby. Later that evening a family member discovered they also had dirty sheets and were told no one was on duty for housekeeping so they slept four people in one bed, which was an unacceptable answer. When they complained and asked to speak with the manager they were told, he won't be in until 11am. On Saturday, we came down for breakfast the next day which we were told was until 10am. The staff started breaking down breakfast at 9:15am and when I asked if she would bring out the items that ran out, she told me no. After returning from a day out with my family, I showered for the evening events and discovered we were given towels with spots all over them, I called the front desk but never received clean towels, luckily I always travel with my own, just in case. Sunday morning was when I finally broke, I was walking down the hall and saw a used condom. Now I didn't blame the hotel for this, it's what happened afterwards that I blame them. When I came off the elevator, I immediately told the front desk that there was a used condom in the hallway in front of room 517. I then went to breakfast and when I came back up to my floor after breakfast to my amazement the condom was still there on the floor. This was now a hotel management issue because they were aware of the problem. I decided to see how long it would take the to clean this up, well...2 hours after I reported the issue, the condom was removed from the hallway. The Element/Aloft Ardunel Mills could meet many people expectations but the lack of management oversight, horrible housekeeping and poor customer service makes this hotel a disgrace to the chain. Westin hotels needs to place this hotel on probation to clean itself up and send everyone to a customer service and hospitality class or they will face declining bookings because of these issues.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, you should ask to see the room and inspect the bathrooms and beds.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear pllrdtr1,
Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback. We are very concerned about your recent experience and the service you received. We would personally like to discuss your experience with you. Please reach out to our Assistant General Manager, Jose, at jzavala@ltdhospitality.com.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I arrived around 7 p.m. The staff was very helpful and was trying to help out a damsel in distress. They kept in contact with me while I was stranded at the airport. They were very helpful in recommending the Aloft bar next door (I really needed a drink) and they were quick to deliver extra towels and so forth. The room was very clean but I found the bedding to be a bit old. I do appreciate that they fulfilled my request to stay on the top floor away from the elevator and to avoid a pet friendly floor. The area is very nice and close to the major highways (It takes less than 40 minutes travel to DC). I did not eat in the area, decided the Wharf was the best place to find fresh fish. I did not eat the breakfast but it looked and smelled great. I only have three oooops to speak on: (1) They did not replenish the bathroom completely. (2) The keyboard and mouse in the business center area needs some major cleaning!!!!!! (3) The evening staff was delightful, but the gentleman manning the desk at 6 am in the morning was lacking. What I mean by this is he did not say "good morning, I hope you slept well" or "I hope you enjoyed your stay". He waited until we were walking out and mumbled something while he was eating his bagel. All in all, I would stay there again due to location. Last but not least, if you want a good adult beverage, walk over to the Aloft and see my buddy Christian!!!!

Room Tip: If you need to print out your boarding pass, take some wipes for the keyboard and mouse. The sevent...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

The very modern, clean appearance was pleasing... Service from (2 of the 3) front desk staff was cold & unhelpful. The only reason I am scoring higher on service is for the cleaning staff.

Cons:
Poor water pressure from the "rain shower"
Seemed like it was cheaply repainted
Terrible customer service
Bad road noise

Pros:
Comfortable bed
Blackout shade
Free hot breakfast
Appearance

Just from my experience, I wouldn't return! Which is too bad since this is part of the Starwood hotel group, I expected better!!

• Stayed August 2013
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear wideawake02,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent visit to Hanover. We're sorry to hear that your recent visit did not meet your expectations but appreciate your honest feedback. We have forwarded your comments and suggestions to our team and we will be addressing with the appropriate team leaders. We hope you give us another opportunity to impress you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

This past weekend was our time staying at the very hotel & we love it! It's like walking into a little studio apartment. It has a refrigerator, microwave & dishes in case you want to do a little something. The shower has a huge square shower head as though it's raining on you. Love that the door to the shower was glass. Lovely. We were on the 6th floor so our view was beautiful! Love that this hotel is also by the mall, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. We will definitely be returning,

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Msmaria_nicole,
We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and like our guest bathroom concept and amenities. It's great to hear you took advantage of our convenient location and we look forward to welcoming you back.
hpt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

This property still shows NEW! It has a VERY comfy bed.........OMG!!!
The walls are rather thin and NOISE can be heard from down the hall and right outside the doorway, although not so much once INSIDE.

It is located directly across from Arundel Mills and has a shuttle service.
There is also a parking garage, spaces for GREEN cars, and bowls of food out for your pet! The breakfast selection was ok, savory eggs, juicy links, an array of breads, juices, and fruit. The supply was ample for the sizable crowd that was present.

Now, inside the ROOM.....the cable line-up is vast..Showtime, TVOne, a classic VH1, and a few others outside of the "norm" of hotels. There is a happy hr (Mon-Thur), it NEEDS to be on Friday too! That sucked that it wasn't offered.

There is NO clock in the room. There is a built in one on the microwave, but after a short while it just streams the PUSH START menu data.....The desk is neat to look at but not that functional with the chair...it was a odd level. Some of the windows were UP so high, that it prevented many in our party from being able to look out of in the hallways, etc....As many others have stated, the pool is rather small and was almost always EMPTY. The gym, has a rather nice selection of machines. Some rooms, do NOT have the FULL kitchen......the hotels website makes it look like THEY ALL have that feature....we were disappointed on that aspect.

The shower was divine!
*Caution* The water gets VERY HOT!

Overall, this extended weekend trip, has been a relaxing one & when my travels place me in this region again, I will strongly consider giving THIS place my business again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Element Arundel Mills? Share your experiences!