“Bogus charges?” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Hanover
Norfolk, Virginia, United States
“Bogus charges?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Liked the hotel, but the next day I saw two charges to my debit card... One for the normal 50 dollars hold and another for 152 dollars (my original booking was handled through Expedia and paid in full prior to check in). When I called to inquire, the young man who answered the phone had terrible trouble figuring out when I had even stayed there, although I had checked out less than 24 hours before. When he did figure it out, he could not explain the reason for the charge, said it was an error, and told me I would be refunded in a week or so. He said he didn't think I would be paid interest on the 200 dollar loan I was making to the hotel FROM MY CHECKING ACCOUNT. Nice place to stay, but dubious accounting practices. Traveler beware!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jenny M, AGM at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Greetings from the Element by Westin at Arundel Mills.
Thank you for your review. I am concerned to hear about these charges. I would love to be able to get more information. Please reach out to our hotel and we will be happy to address your concerns. Thank you for choosing the Element Arundel Mills. Happy Travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The rooms are large, well equipped, quiet, clean, basically every you want in a hotel room... The same can be said about the bathrooms, large, clean and the shower is amazing! A fully equipped kitchen is a bonus, as is the location being right next to an outlet mall!

The staff were always friendly and helpful, the internet was quick and reliable, and the free breakfast was second to none!

It's 10-15 mins away from Baltimore Airport, and it's an easy drive. Plenty of restaurants around, but a drive is a must to fully appreciate what is around you!

The only negative is the damn bed frames!!! Whoever designed them deserves to die a slow, painful death! I always manage to bash the hell out of my shins on them, I was covered in bruises for weeks!

Greetings from the Element by Westin at Arundel Mills!
Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the convenience of our proximity to local restaurants. We are sorry to hear about your shins! We do not wish the same fate upon the designer of the bed frames, but hope that they are aware of your plight. Thank you for choosing the Element Arundel Mills. We hope to serve you again soon should your travels bring you back to the Arundel Mills area. Happy Travels!
Catania, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The rooms were cute, clean, and very efficient! The only problem I had was the shower. Unfortunately I have had this happen at almost every Westin type hotel.. they offer these lavish shower heads, that make you feel like you are in a rainstorm..but when you step out the shower, you are walking through a river! They really need to work on a better option for sealing their showers, or possibly tile the lower portion, to give the water a bit of a barricade. Other than that, great hotel!

Jenny M, AGM at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Greetings from the Element by Westin at Arundel Mills.
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your candid feedback about the shower heads and will forward your feedback to our Maintenance Team. Our spa-inspired rainfall shouldn't be a river! Thank you for choosing the Element Arundel Mills. We hope to serve you again soon should your travels bring you back! Happy Travels!
Newport News, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

had a great time at the Element. Accomodations were very good and breakfast was outstanding.The staff was very helpful-francisco manned the front desk. The shuttles were timely and drivers were very courteous- Tina, Mary,Stacy and Amanda were great.I will stay there when in area again.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Greetings from the Element by Westin at Arundel Mills!
Thank you for your review from your recent stay. We love to hear that members of our Team made your stay memorable! We will share this feedback with them. We hope to serve you again soon! Happy Travels!
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

A group of us stayed her to celebrate the retirement of our friend/family member. I cannot begin to express how great of a choice this was for us! As soon as we walked in, we were greeted by the front desk staff. Siyon, Francisco and Tina were some of the Front Desk associates throughout our stay, that answered our questions and granted our request. Sheila and her team worked diligently to get rooms cleaned so that we could check in rooms located close to one another as soon as we arrived. Our rooms had a modern design, were very clean and came equipped with everything that we needed. The full size refrigerator, multiple storage areas and microwave in our rooms made it easy to have a central location for our entire group to store items, meet& hangout and share snacks. The breakfast was great and there was something for everyone. If you wanted fruit, juice and yogurt it was there but also they had sausage, waffles, fried potatoes, grits, eggs just to name a few. We are very close to the mall and casino but traffic/parking is really bad at both. Luckily we had Mary and Stacy to take us back and forth with the hotel’s shuttle service and we did not have to worry about it!

Greetings from the Element by Westin at Arundel Mills!
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with your friends and family. We also love seeing our Team members being recognized! We will share this feedback with them.
Woodbridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

I had an awesome stay there. The free breakfast is great and the complementary reception is great for a free light dinner. I loved the layout of my suite and the rain shower was neat. Some signs of wear here and there but overall very nice accommodations.

• Stayed February 2013
Jenny M, AGM at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Greetings from the Element by Westin at Arundel Mills. Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to enjoy our "Rise" hot breakfast and "Relax" evening reception. We hope to see you again soon! Happy Travels.
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed at the Element for a different SPG experience. I was a little hesitant based on past reviews, but thought I'd give it a try. I stayed in a one-bedroom suite for 4 nights while taking a professional certification class.
Cons:
The hotel was mostly quiet; you could hear people in hallway and for some reason, I could hear every flush from the room either above or next door to me. I must verify from previous reviews, the floors were not the cleanest, but in the Element's defense, they don't have carpet which makes it more difficult to keep the dust away. I also noticed a few different types of hair in my bathroom; but when I saw the lotion had been used and not thrown away from the previous guest, I began to think this hotel really was not all that clean, at least not the room I was staying in. Breakfast was not impressive, but there was usually a red meat alternative (turkey/chicken sausage). The Wi-Fi kept logging me out. When I used the network cable to connect to the internet, the service was not much better. Computers in the business center were fast and reliable, but one of the printers made awful prints.
Pros:
After I requested my bathroom be thoroughly cleaned I was happy to return to a room that had seemed much cleaner. The floors were still dusty, but honestly, this is probably more an issue of material than cleanliness (the floors are texturized and dark brown/black). The bed was comfortable and the room shades make sleeping in very easy. The lobby is very contemporary and comfortable. The workout area had a variety of machines, 2 treadmills, and 2 bicycles. Headphones were provided as were towels. I didn't try the food at the manager’s reception each night.
Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the Element. I think SPG should continue the concept, but step up their cleanliness and ensure the internet is consistent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Greetings from the Element by Westin at Arundel Mills. Thank you for your detailed feedback regarding your recent stay. It is unfortunate that you had to experience internet and housekeeping issues during your stay. We hope that we were able to rectify these inconveniences in a timely fashion prior to your departure. We have been in touch with our internet provider regarding these issues thanks to your feedback. Your cleanliness comments have been share with our staff. We appreciate detailed feedback like this to help us pinpoint areas for improvement. Thank you for choosing the Element by Westin. We hope to serve you again soon should your travels bring you back to the Arundel Mills area. Happy Travels!

Been to Element Arundel Mills? Share your experiences!