“Great layout, awesome shower” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #8 of 13 hotels in Hanover
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great layout, awesome shower”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I'm a Starwood regular but this was my first Element stay. There were so many good things about it but it could have been a better stay if staff had tried a little bit harder. Often I criticize a hotel for architectural things that aren't easy to change in old hotels. Here the design and layout were awesome but staff and care of the property were the problems.
I checked in about 3 pm and there wasn't much going on in the lobby, yet I got minimal attention from Jessica as she checked me in. I was not told of any hotel amenities- not the free breakfast (which I only learned of from Tripadvisor reviews) or offered any amenity for my Platinum status, nor was my status acknowledged. That isn't a big deal to me but I know it is to Starwood since their surveys constantly ask that question. Usually at the least I get a free bottle of water- there was no water in the room- free or otherwise. While searching for water I came across a cabinet and a drawer in the kitchen with someone else's left over food. Aside from possibly getting bugs it made me wonder how well they cleaned the room if they left so much food there. Aside from the food and really dirty windows I didn't feel like the room was dirty- it just showed a lot of wear. All surfaces seemed to have marks of some kind.
The highlight was the bathroom! I loved the shower! It was very large and very clean. The shower was a large walk-in with a big square showerhead and a handheld wand.
The kitchen was also very nice with a beautiful glass tile backsplash, full-size refridgerator, etc.
I had a one bedroom which had wood floors except in the bedroom (carpet) and bathroom. The desk faced the wall and I wanted to work facing the TV so I just rolled out the white table that was tucked against the wall at the entrance and made an L-shaped work area that was great. I needed another surface in the bedroom so I rolled a little ottoman over and put my suitcase on it. I loved that the furnishings were flexible.
I was asked if I wanted a higher or lower floor at check-in and was given a room on the 7th floor. Problem was that when I looked out the windows I just saw other hotel room windows. I asked for an exterior view and was moved to a room with a much better view on the 3rd floor.
The person checking me out in the morning was very friendly.
Oh and the lumpy bed - well, just check out the picture. I don't think the quality of the bedding qualifies it to be called a "Heavenly Bed" It is a far cry from the quality of a Westin Heavenly Bed.

Room Tip: If you like to have your blinds up you should ask for an exterior view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Jenny M, AGM at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Greetings from the Element by Westin at Arundel Mills!
Thank you for the great feedback you have provided. This level of detail is important for us so we know exactly how we can improve for future experiences. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay, but please know that we look into every situation and use it as a learning tool. We also want to thank you for your loyalty to the Starwood Preferred Guest Program. We hope that you will stay with us again soon so that we may wow you upon your return! Happy Travels!

198 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Hollywood, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

This was my first time staying at ELEMENT. I was pleasantly surprised. The decor is very modern. And the amenities were very nice. The location is very close to Arundel Mills for shopping and dining. A free shuttle is offered to Casino Live as well. Free breakfast is offered every morning or there are many chain restaurants close by. If you are a light sleeper or enjoy sleeping in the walls were a little thin for my taste. That is the only slightly negative thing I could think of about this property. Great experience. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Greetings from the Element by Westin at Arundel Mills!
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit! We appreciate knowing that you were able to take advantage of our Complimentary Hot Breakfast and other amenities. We hope to be able to serve you again should your travels bring you back to the Arundel Mills area! Happy Travels!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Another nice room in a great hotel. Very friendly staff, great location, easy parking, good coffee and fruit in the morning for breakfast. Nothing more to say, check it out for yourself...................... I will be back again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Jenny M, AGM at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Greetings from the Element by Westin at Arundel Mills! Thank you very much for your review on your recent stay. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Hope we will see you again soon! Happy Travels!
Kaiserslautern, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I was traveling by myself with my small dog, just staying the night to catch my next flight in the morning. If you read any of my posts, they are generally positive, so when I comment negative you know it is something that really stood out to me.
1. My biggest complaint was that their airport shuttle has to be arranged PRIOR TO your arrival. I waited for 30 minutes and eventually gave up and got a cab ($30) who took me to the wrong hotel. Other hotel was nice enough to take me. Upon check-in I was able to request it for the next morning no problem. Driver was really helpful and nice.
2. My second complaint is that there was not a hotel/local area guide. I enjoy reading these because I never remember all the info told to me at reception (breakfast hours, check out time, etc.). Also has local restaurants that deliver or are within walking distance.
3. I was surprised to see staff in polo shirts and khakis. I've never been in a hotel where the staff are so casually dressed. Staff were helpful--no complaints there, it just makes them look less credible I suppose.
4. My room was super clean and functional...couldn't ask for more! Since I was only staying overnight I didn't utilize the functional kitchen, but definitely would if staying longer. Large window for natural light. My only complaint about my room was that I was in a wheelchair accessible room, so no tub. Not a big deal at all except that the shower's water stopping liner did not work, so the whole bathroom floor flooded. Internet worked very well. Lots of cable channels.
5. If you have a car there are plenty of places in the area to eat. If not, there are delivery options available. I did not see vending machines, but there is a pantry by reception where you can buy snacks and drinks.

Room Tip: Pets are only allowed on 2 floors, so you can request a non-pet room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Jenny M, AGM at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Greetings from the Element by Westin at Arundel Mills! Thank you for the great feedback you have provided. This level of detail is important for us so we know exactly how we can improve for future experiences. I am glad to hear that a majority of your stay with us was satisfactory. We thank you for choosing Starwood Hotels. We hope to serve you again soon!
New York,NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Me and some friends came to visit the Balitmore area from NYC. We arrived and were promptly greeted by friendly staff. Our room was ready and it was clean, modern, comfortable and had a sexiness to it. Its located next to Arundel Mills a huge shopping, casino complex with plenty of choices to eat. About 20 minutes from Baltimore. Would definately come back again.

Room Tip: Beautiful comfortable rooms. My new place to stay when visiting Baltimore/DC area.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Jenny M, AGM at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Greetings from the Element by Westin at Arundel Mills! Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our local attractions. We would love to have you back again soon! Thank you!
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I put together a reunion weekend at this hotel and I have to say that the management team of Elizabeth and Sesley were awesome! They accommodated all of the reunion attendees even after the cut off date. It was marvelous and my first time staying at the Element, but not my first time at a Wyndham property. A bonus was the comp breakfast that I had no idea was included.

The only downside is that I do not like staying in pet friendly hotels, because I don't like the fact of possibly sleeping in a room where a dog laid on a couch or bed. BUT I made the exception because I loved the layout of the hotel and the rooms.

We will definitely use this location as our host hotel for our next annual MD venue.

Room Tip: The windows open and the corner units are the larger rooms...more bang for the buck!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Greetings from the Element by Westin at Arundel Mills! Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. We are so thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay! We love to hear guest comments and we share them with the team. Thank you for choosing us and we hope to see you next year and host your next reunion!
Hanoi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

A typical highway hotel. Lobby is trendy and nice. Dog food at the entry, and this to welcome dogs, so so in terms of hygiene.Not that I do not like dogs, but in a hotel, it just does not fit in. Check in fast and easy.
Rooms are on the rather bigger side, maybe too big (feel empty).
Cons:
- no the best impression of a clean room. Carpet dirty and wooden floor dusty;
- bed linens had not been ironed. Not a good looking bed, just a wrinkled one. At first, I thought they had not changed the sheets, but no
- bed is really too soft
- air conditioning which is really, really noisy, and blows directly on your bed
- in the hallway, electrical rooms in maintained open with a towel (!!!) maybe because they did not have the keys to open it
If not very quiet hotel.
Breakfast so so, not very qualitative and lacking space. They should create a dedicated bft room, as it is taken in the lobby, and get dirty fast

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Jenny M, AGM at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Greetings from the Element by Westin at Arundel Mills!

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. One of our top features of being an extended stay hotel is that we allow pets. This gives our guests the freedom and comfort of bringing their favorite furball along for what can be a weeks long trip. We also have larger rooms than the average highway hotel due to the fact that we have kitchenettes and living rooms in all our suites. As a Westin property, we have the ever so soft "Heavenly Beds." We understand that this may not be something that all our guests prefer, but we do our best to accomodate all our guests and requests. Thank you for staying with us at the Element by Westin, and we hope to serve you again.

Been to Element Arundel Mills? Share your experiences!