“Reunion visit” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Hanover
London, United Kingdom
“Reunion visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Nice, modern suite hotel. The rooms are spacious and light with full kitchens and spa style showers. The rooms can easily accomodate 4 but there was just the two of us. The bed was very comfortable and the room quiet so had a great sleep! The breakfast was the standard eggs, sausage, pancake and a mix of cold foods. I would easily recommend this hotel to anyone...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jenny M, AGM at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Greetings from the Element by Westin at Arundel Mills!

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We are so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and your sleep on our "Heavenly Beds." We hope that if you attend another reunion that we can take care of you again!

Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

This property shares a building with the Aloft W Hotel but, they have separate reception and common areas and from what I could see separate gyms. The hotel is close to BWI Airport and a relatively short and quick drive in Baltimore (non rush hour traffic).
The staff at reception was pleasant and efficient- Now the not so good:
I had a one bedroom suite on the 5th floor. The elevator was the first negative- it was dirty and just seemed unwelcoming. On entering the room it looked nice but something seemed off- first I could tell that the only cleaning the room had received had been a superficial wipe down- I don't think they have done a deep clean since the place opened. I was scared to touch anything- nothing looked clean. There was funny odor in the bedroom that I can only imagine was a result of a water leak or a dog "accident"- In any case again the carpet just didn't look or feel clean. The couch in the living room same story dirty looking. Even the glasses and cups in the kitchen are seemed clean but on closer inspection one could clearly see finger prints all over them. Walls were scuffed- furniture also looked like it had seen better days. Overall very disappointed. Also was woken up at 10pm with people talking outside (no sound insulation whatsoever). I was also "behind" the exterior decorative lights that didn't go off until 10 pm so I had light shinning in even though I was try to get to bed early. I also noticed scotch tape on the drapes so I wasn't the first to have an issue with the outside light. Overall very bad experience- I won't be returning and suggest you avoid the place- You can see from my profile that I stay at a lot of hotels around the world and not often do I give such negative marks.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Greetings from the Element by Westin at Arundel Mills!

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We noticed from your score and feedback given to us that we did not meet your expectation nor ours. Like any hotel, we strive to make each and every visit a great experience. I hope that you had the chance to share these situations with our staff to give us the opportunity to correct them before your departure. It is always our goal to review all of the issues, addressed every concern, and come up with resolutions that are appreciative and acceptable. I apologize if we fell short in that department. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the Arundel Mills area, that you will visit us again and gives us the opportunity to WOW you!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Great hotel, when I arrived there was a line to check-in; No big deal 7pm it's shift change & there's a wedding party checking in. I had a studio king and I can say I absolutely loved the room; comfy bed, large couch, huge bathroom, full kitchen. Hotel is easy to find, across the street is a bank & 24hr grocery store. Mall and casino are close by as well. My biggest point of amazement was the noise level, hotel common areas were so noisy with the hotel being full but the moment I closed my door 0 noise. Hotel staff were helpful but, not obtrusive. Will stay here again on my next BWI layover.

Room Tip: Studio rooms have more space & are only $10 more
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Jenny M, AGM at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Greetings from the Element by Westin at Arundel Mills! Thank you very much for your recent review here on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to hear that you had a great stay! We take pride in our hotel, your home away from home, and we always hope to provide our guests with a wonderful experience. We hope that if your travels bring you to the BWI area once more that we can serve you again!
Bryans Road, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Decided the stay at the Westin recently, because of it's proximity to the local Casino and the Mall. Check in was friendly and fast, room seemed to be clean. I had a studio king, non smoking. No ice machines to be found, front desk advised that I take a bag of ice from the amenities area located near the front desk. Hotel was quiet, bed slept well. Parking was limited during this visit, but available within a moderate walking distance. Breakfast was included in the reservation, it wasn't bad. Good coffee, included all of the basics. Check out was also fast and friendly, overall, a decent stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Jenny M, AGM at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Greetings from the Element by Westin Arundel Mills!
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope that you will visit us again soon! Happy Travels!
Port Washington, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I've stayed at a number of Aloft and Element hotels within the Starwood chain including both of the hotels in the Arundel Mill location when it first opened without any problems. As a platinum member, my expectations of a relatively new hotel/chain would be for a clean room (basically, the standard Element room usually found at each location) with good service. Usually, I stay at this location because there is a nice mall across the ways and its close to the Baltimore area which my family and friends frequent each year. For this trip, my family and my friend's family decided to just make this a pit stop just to rest as we drove from NY on our way to the Great Wolf Lodge in Va. After a long drive of 6+ hrs for both of us we arrived late hoping to rest up for the next mornings drive(rooms 303 and 215 on August 25th, 2012).
Everything was fine, until my friend's wife took out the pull out sofa of the 1 BR suite and saw that there were food particles everywhere, a very visible pee stain, and odor to go along with it. While this was a breakdown in housekeeping protocol, one would think that the problem would be solved readily by a proactive or capable hotel staff. While the staff was relatively friendly, they were not really helpful or able to solve the problem. When I went to the front desk, they mentioned that there were not any other of the same type of rooms available to move into (i.e. there were 2 available, but they were already reserved with guests just not checked-in). We then asked if they could just swap the mattresses from sofabed in another room, but supposedly the security guard had a bad back and was relatively frail, and they were short staffed so that there was no one that could do this. We offered of course, but my friend/attorney did not need to let me know that this wouldn't be allowed due to liability issues regardless of how simple the process might be.
After wasting much time, the kids had fallen asleep and since it was past midnight we didn't want to move them into another room. I made a quick call to corporate which ended up being a long call to corporate where I was placed on hold for 40 mins as they got someone who may have been an AGM from the aloft to come by. We were then told that floors 4-7 were being reconditioned which was the reason for lack of available rooms to swap when the problem was first brought up. We were also told that this relatively fit and strong hotel employee that most of the mattresses were locked to the sofa frame due to the hotels security procedure to prevent people from stealing them (strange and not quite believable as I've never seen it, and the mattress in my friends room was definitely not attached), and that it would take 1.5-2 hours to find a mattress that was "not locked" on one of those floors (again, not really believed..perhaps it was just laziness?). In the end, after standing in the lobby from midnight to 2am while trying to get a clean bed to sleep in, my friend was given a mattress pad and bed sheet to place over the pee stain.
Both corporate and the AGM?(wearing a baseball cap, jeans, etc.) promised some starpoints for both of us due to the problems encountered and the length of time to find a resolution that still wasn't really acceptable. Prior to leaving the hotel, I sent a quick email to the GM (pahmed@ltdhospitality.com) given to me by the front desk at checkout for follow up, but have yet to receive a response. Having just completed my trip, I have confirmed that neither of our accounts have been credited with any of the points promised. There were some other minor issues which didn't matter much in regards to the condition of the room itself but it appears that perhaps we were just unlucky to have gotten a dirty room and bed, while there was no staff willing or able to help solve the problem. Perhaps, the reviews of this area being not so safe or family friendly has lead to the hotel itself falling into disrepair as well.
Luckily we left early the next morning and had no problems during the rest of our trip.

Room Tip: I wish I had read some recent reviews as I assumed the hotel room would be clean based upon previous...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jenny M, AGM at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out to share your recent experience at the Element Arundel Mills. We were in communications with one of your colleagues that was with you on this given night. We reviewed all of the issues, addressed every concern, and came up with resolutions that was appreciative and acceptable. I am sure your colleague has updated you by now. Please accept my apologies if you were not kept in the loop at the time of our communications with your colleague.
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

In the US, you always seem to get what you pay for. The pics look good in this new hotel but with the low price attracts a dubious clientele. When we arrived late at night there was a cruising traffic jam in the car park full of dubious characters leaning out of windows in furtive discussions blocking the flow. In the lobby are ladies who sit and wait. Have I entered a bizarre suburban bordello? In the carpark are girls in very short dresses doing thing inside trucks ... very suspect place. The suite room was spartan fit for a bogan. Noisy aircon and not very comfortable.
You get what you pay for

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Jenny M, AGM at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of the Element by Westin at Arundel Mills. This situation is very disturbing indeed, and we will review more into this matter. Thank you for taking the time out and letting us know so that we may better tackle this problem. This is not something we take lightly, nor will we tolerate. Thank you again for your business and review. We hope that if your travels bring you out to the Arundel Mills area again that you choose the Element by Westin!
Shakopee, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Never before have I had hopes for a hotel and been SO disappointed. With the name of Westin, normally you can expect at least decent service. As we were here over a weekend, there was also a very LARGE family gathering down the hall and all over the hotel. This family was loud, rude, obnoxious and down right annoying. Well, Saturday night comes along, and while I don't mind noise, it got to be 12:30, 1:00 am!! After calling the desk THREE times to ask them to be quite in the court yard, and to stop the kids from running and screaming in the halls, I was DISMISSED saying "oh, it's just a party, there's nothing we can do." Finally I had to call Severn P.D. to find out the laws on noise. Turns out 11:00 pm begins "quiet hours." I didn't realize a hotel got to be above the law. When we talked to the front desk in the morning, they were just as dismissive and rude as the girl working the Saturday night shift. While the front desk was rude, we also were skipped over TWICE on room service (including toilet paper, which we ran out of!) Food for breakfast was cold and hard whilst advertised is a nice warm meal! Just completely 100% disappointing.

Room Tip: Go next door to another hotel!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Jenny M, AGM at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of the Element by Westin in Arundel Mills. It is important for us to know that we did not put our best foot forward during your stay. All feedback is shared with the staff and is used to help build a stronger team. We hope that if your travels bring you back to the Arundel Mills area that you will choose the Element again!

Been to Element Arundel Mills? Share your experiences!