“Still a nice place! 2nd visit, would stay again!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Hanover
Buffalo, NY
“Still a nice place! 2nd visit, would stay again!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Our family of 4 (2 adults, 7-year old daughter, 3-year old son) stayed here for an overnight in April, 2012 as we were visiting friends in the area. We had stayed here once before, in July, 2010, and remembered it being a nice place to stay! We were very happy that we did. On this visit we stayed in a 1-bedroom suite which was a very small cost over staying in a regular room. This room suited our needs just fine, and we felt like we had plenty of space. Our 2 children slept on the pull-out sofa, and my husband and I shared the bed in the 1-bedroom. This worked great! The room was very clean. I am supportive of pets, but also allergic, so I was a bit nervous about encountering pet hair in the room. (We do not have pets). This worry went unfounded. I looked for it, and found no trace of dog hair anywhere :-) We loved the environmentally friendly soap and supplies in the room. We encountered one small issue, when we went to put the kids to bed at 8:30pm (1/2-hour past their normal bedtime) we noticed that there were no sheets, blankets, or pillows on the pull out sofa. We also only had 3 towels and there were 4 of us needing to bathe. We called the front desk, and they did not answer, so my husband went down to request sheets and towels. We waited approximately 45 minutes for the sheets to arrive. In the meantime, my husband called down again. This time they answered and said the sheets and towels were on their way. This was a bit of an annoyance since the kids ended up getting to bed close to 10pm. It would not deter us from staying again, but we would make sure to check for sheets earlier in the day instead of waiting until bedtime ;-). The free breakfast in the morning was perfect! Healthy choices such as fruit (bananas, apples, oranges), yogurt, granola, and raisins, as well as fruit smoothies were available and delicious! There were also more traditional hot foods (scrambled eggs, hash brown potatoes, sausage), and bagels, English muffins, and cereals. Our kids enjoyed the Fruit Loops (which they are not allowed to eat at home, but hey, this was vacation). There was also juice and coffee. Everything was hot, and seemingly fresh. The beds were VERY comfortable, and the shower was hot! We did not have any problems with hearing neighbors!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
virginia beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

(i am now typing this from there computer.) The breakfast was not much when i went the waffle maker was broken. The pool was not open when i wanted to go, it is open from 6-10 am on weekdas then reopens at 5 pm. Some housekeeping did not speek good english. Even though it was pet friendly it was smelling good and clean.

Room Tip: Get a room as far a possible from the elevator, so you dont hear the "dinging"
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Chris D, General Manager at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Dear cupcake3146,

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Element Arundel Mills! We pride ourselves on great guest service, and we are very pleased that you found our rooms to be "smelling good and clean."

Thank you for your feedback about breakfast and the pool. I am sorry the waffle maker was broken when you wanted to use it. The pool is not open without a lifeguard (per local laws) and we have found hardly any guests use the facility after 10am and before 5pm on weekdays. We have extended hours on the weekend and also provide access to a full-service gym with a pool that has longer opening hours during the week. I am disappointed about the comments about our associates not speaking "good English." Our associates are always looking for opportunities to improve their verbal language skills, as am I. I hope you bear with us.

Next time you are in the Hanover area, I hope you’ll be our guest!

Sumter, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

The staff were wonderful and I felt as if they genuinely cared. The general manager, Chris Dobi, would take time to talk to us if he saw us and even remembered our names and Jemica was great as well. I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Chris D, General Manager at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Dear jwilliams12345,

Thank you for commenting on your recent experience at the Element Arundel Mills. I am very happy to hear you had such a wonderful stay with us. We feel we set ourselves apart with our service and it sounds like we did just that! We do our best to personalize our guest stays. I will extend your comments to Jameca.

Thanks again for your kind words and we look forward to hosting you again next time you visit the Arundel Mills area.

Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012 via mobile

this is my new favorite hotel. there were some major crazy things that happened that could have riuned this girls trip weekend getaway but the staff was wayyyy more than we could have asked for. no need to go dropping bombs on them, lets just say they acknowledged the issues and were willing to do whatever it took to make things right for us. in the end we had a great stay and will use this hotel in the future when we are in the area.

• Stayed July 2011
Dear DoubleShotMargarita,

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Element Arundel Mills! We pride ourselves on great guest service, and we are very pleased that you found our staff to be ..."wayyyy more than we could have asked for".

Please consider us your accommodation central for your next "girls trip weekend getaway." I am sure there is still more to discover at Arundel Mills - including shopping, dining and entertainment.

Accra, Ghana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

Nice warm staff and lovely hotel! I really enjoyed my stay there! I would definitely recommend it to anyone in the area! Wonderful experience!

Dear MichelleK293797,

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Element Arundel Mills! We are happy that you found our staff to be warm and loved the hotel. We love it too!

We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Arundel Mills and can't wait to give you some more of that "wonderful experience"!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

I was looking forward to trying out the relatively new Element chain, but it did not impress me much. It seems the place is focusing way too much on being 'hip' and not enough on maintaining standard necesities. For example, the room I got had a full kitchen, but had almost no pots, pans, cooking utensils etc. It had 4 plates and four glasses, but only three butter knives, one fork and one spoon. It really would be impossible to actually cook anything in the full kitchen with the supplies provided.

The bathroom had no soap for the sink for my first three nights. When I finally asked at the desk if no soap was somehow the new hip/green thing to do, they said no and handed me a bar of soap saying that they had actually run out of soap and just got a box in??? There was also no trash can in the bathroom, which basically meant that all my bathroom trash ended up in the toilet.

I was also not impressed with the fact that the 'hip' stlye meant that there was no place to put anything. There is no dresser or counter in the bedroom, just some drawers in the closet. So with no where to put things, all of my stuff ended up lined up on the floor along the wall.

The breakfast food was pretty good, although I am usually in a hurry and like to grab stuff to go. But here there was nothing to grab for the road... no yogurt, no cereal boxes, no individually wrapped pastry etc. So if you want to eat, you pretty much have to sit down and eat it there. The dinner was much worse. Each night they put out a hot dish and a salad. The salad was good, but the hot choices that I witnessed were quite gross, to say the least. Mostly I saw people flock to the free beer and ignore the nasty food.

On a positive note, the bed was very comfortable and the pillows were great. The shower was also good. I also really liked the TV channel selection which included at least 50 channels.

But overall I did not really like the place and wouldn't choose it again. I get the feeling that the hotel is experiencing financial issues, which would help explain some of the shortfalls with the food, soap, etc. I agree with the review below that suggests that Starwood should do a surprise inspection of this place, and I don't think it would do very well.

Dear frank 3355,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience here at the Element Arundel Mills. I am glad you found the bed "very comfortable and the pillows.....great" but also am extremely concerned about the level of service you had vis-a-vis amenities in the room and the quality and selection of our breakfast and evening meals.

There is no excuse or reason for the level of service you received and I am taking this feedback as an opportunity to improve our service levels and exceed the expectations that you and all our guests expect from us.

I hope you stay with us again and give us the chance to wow you! Please, do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Nashua, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

You are greeted upon entering this hotel with dog dishes sporting dog food and water, to underscore their pet friendliness. A dog lover (traveling sans dogs), I found this clever and entertaining. The other thing I noted upon my arrival was the "no room parties allowed" in the list of rules presented. The reason why would become obvious when I got to my room.

The hotel is new and sports a very Swedish/European look, with clean lines, stainless steel, blonde wood, etc. The room was quite impressive. There were 3 distinct sections of the room. The bathroom was a large and stylish, with a big shower at the end with a large glass door and a big paddle shower head (plus a removable wand head), as well as a low counter with a high above-mounted bowl sink. The side mirror lighting was great, especially for makeup application. The work area half of the room had wood (fake?) floor (good for pets!), with -- all along the left side wall -- a large closet followed by a kitchen with a full-sized stainless steel fridge and a counter with a big microwave, a sink, a 2 burner electric stove, and two bar stools beneath. A European/minimalist desk with ergonomic chair was at the end of this space, and there was a large unit for plugging in your laptop, cell phone, ipod, etc. A credenza holding a swiveling flat screen TV and a knee wall with another small bar stool counter separated the work space from the living area. The living area had a king size bed and a low slung but large L shaped couch -- thus the admonishment against room parties. The bed was very comfortable. I heard not a noise from anyone/anything else.

The computer was down in the business center, meaning I could not print my boarding pass myself, although the desk clerk said she could do it through her computer. She also said a service call had been placed and that another local hotel whose business center I could use instead.

The fitness center was quite nice. 2 ellipticals, 2 treadmills, 2 bikes and I believe another machine or two plus weights, spring water and towels. The breakfast was okay. It included some hot items and some smoothies plus some cold cereal and toast/bagel/muffin options.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Chris D, General Manager at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Dear j1959c,

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Element Arundel Mills!

We pride ourselves on being a great place to stay in the Hanover - Arundel Mills area and I am thrilled you found our facilities and service to be top-notch. We love the way our suites are laid out and the numerous amenities we provide. Our gym happens to be the best in the Arundel Mills area. Thank you for your feedback about the business center computers. I hope it was not an inconvenience.

I am glad you are coming back to stay when you are in the area. Please stop by and say hello.

Thank you.

C. Dabi
Element Arundel Mills

Been to Element Arundel Mills? Share your experiences!