“A couple of terminations are necessary with their staff....” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #10 of 13 hotels in Hanover
Appomattox, Virginia
“A couple of terminations are necessary with their staff....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

I was alerted to the aloft via Priceline.com. Looking at the reviews, I was very interested. I booked a room for two nights, for the 17th and 18th of September. Upon arrival to the hotel, I requested two additional rollaway beds( they are actually inflatable beds, acceptable to me as I have two children that wanted to sleep on them). I arrived to the room which is very nice, the bathroom is trendy and the room itself was very satisfactory. After leaving for the day, I came back later that night to the room expecting the extra beds to be in my room, but they weren't. I requested them again that night but was informed that maintenance had left for the day so I was outta luck. My son attempted to sleep on a cushioned bench to allow my two younger daughters to share one of the queen size beds but I found that next morning that he went and slept on the floor since the bench was too uncomfortable. That morning my wife requested the extra beds again for the last night of our stay, the girl working on that Saturday was not very nice and told my wife she would take care of it. That night, upon returning to our room, the beds were missing again!! We went down to the front desk and the two girls working Saturday night were very nice and apologetic but they couldn't do anything since maintenance had left, again!! The next morning we requested to see the manager to complain about our stay and to compliment the two girls that worked Saturday night, as I could tell they felt terrible about what happened to us. The manager was too busy to see us, so our number was taken instead and we were promised a call back either that day or the next. It has been three days now and we have not heard from the manager, which has made us feel that we are not important enough for him or his company. While there were some bright spots for this location, the rooms and a couple of good employees, the one girl that was rude and didnt take care of our request and the manager that was too busy to hear from his customers make me say that I can't recommend this hotel to anyone, until improvements are made with management and some of the staff.

p.s. The internet was slow as well, and look at all the deals for this hotel if you decide to stay, we went with Priceline.com and if we went with the hotel directly, we would have saved $$$, getting our third night free.....

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
elementgm, Manager at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, September 23, 2010
Aloha,

Thank you for your review. We always appreciate when our guests take the time to let us know how we are doing. I want to apologize for the lack of communication delivered to you by our staff. It seems that a fairly simple explanation could have relieved a huge amount of stress that was put on your family. The room type you were staying in a Queen Loft cannot have the inflatable mattress in the room as it is against fire code for our building. We could have put you in a different room with a single King bed that would have allowed an inflatable mattress had that been your preference. I am sorry once again that during your multiple night stay it was never explained that this was the policy. I did have a name and number brought to my attention this past Monday. However the number I was given doesn’t seem to be correct, I am sorry I have not been able to get in touch with you personally. If you would like you can certainly call me directly at the hotel and I would be more than happy to speak with you. I can be reached at (443) 577-3120.

258 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Malvern, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

My husband called the hotel directly to book the hotel on the morning of our arrival. He was told his credit card would be charged in full for the 2 queen bed reservation and we received an email for the 2 queen bed reservation. He also told them it would be a late check in, and they said that would be no problem. We arrived at the hotel with our two young children around 11:00pm and were told there were no 2 queen rooms left. I felt sorry for the girl checking us (and many others) in because it seems that the person who caused all this turmoil had left others to deal with it. The two girls at the desk said that "someone" apparently booked many more queen rooms than they have, resulting in our (and others) frustration. I reluctantly agreed to a king room and said that I would need 2 rollaway beds, but of course, there were no rollaway beds left. She then offered 2 king rooms at a very good price which we took. The hotel itself is very nice, and the rooms were also. I loved the Bliss products in the bathroom. The front desk clerk was very accommodating, and completely understood our frustration so at least there is SOME good customer service at this hotel. If they got rid of the person who caused this booking mess I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Aloha,

Thank you for your review it very important to get feedback directly from our guests. I am so sorry that we did not have the room type you booked at check in. There were a multitude of factors that contributed to our room inventory being so short on that particular room type. We the management team has been working and will continue to work to ensure this sort of issue does not occur again. I am very sorry for the delay it caused you and the hassle it put on you and your family. I am happy to hear that our team was able to accommodate you with the two king rooms. I will make sure to pass along the appreciation for the effort they put forth. Once again I apologize and hope that we will see you again sometime soon.
Hanover, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

I'm in a job where I use the internet quite a bit so I always look for hotels with high speed internet connections. Aloft advertises High Speed Internet so I thought I would give it shot. Sadly, their "High Speed" is 512Kbps (0.5Mbps) shared with the entire hotel. You can't even watch a tv show from hulu on the lowest resolution setting without it stopping every few minutes to buffer.

The only other issue I had is that I took the advise of another poster and used the hotel shuttle to go to the Mall. When I called to get picked up, they didn't show up for 90, after a few phone calls I just ended up taking a taxi back to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
elementgm, Manager at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, August 10, 2010
Aloha,

Thank you for staying with us here at the Aloft Arundel Mills. I am so sorry to hear that we failed to deliver the type of product you expect and deserve. I have our chief engineer working with our internet provider to see what is going on with our connection speed. What you experienced is certainly not the norm and we will get the problem solved immediately. I am also working with our Front Desk and Shuttle drivers to ensure there is proper communication, therefore, so no one has to wait as long as you did to be picked up from the mall. Please accept my sincere apologies and know that I am working tirelessly to fix our deficiencies. I hope that you will give us another chance when you are in our area again.
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

My wife and I just finished a weekend stay at the aloft near Arundel mills. IT WAS AWESOME! We have never stayed in an aloft before but had heard a lot of good things so we decided to give it a try. We are so happy we gave it a chance it was so much fun! We had a lot of interaction with the Front Desk staff who were all very friendly during our 2 night stay. We didn't go to the bar in the hotel but it looked really nice and was pretty busy so I am sure it is good. They have an interesing feel to the hotel we agree that it is very "trendy" but we really liked that part. They have a pool table in the lobby area which we enjoyed on saturday night. We had no issues with our reservation or our room. The hotel bath products were awesome! They are the Bliss brand which apparently you can buy (my wife looked it up). We will certainly be back and recommend all our friends to the aloft arundel mills. Thanks again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

We travel a LOT both for Leisure and Business. I have heard nice things about Aloft but have never stayed there. We always stay at the Hampton Inn Arundel Mills when we are in this area but this time figured we would try something different since we were only going to be there 1 night.

First, we checked in and went to our room - it was 100 degrees outside and it was 80 degrees in our room - the air was COMPLETELY off, not just at a reasonable setting.

Second, when I walked into the bed area of the room, the sheets and blanket looked as if someone had already used the bed. Not sure, I asked the front desk to move us. She did without any problem - I will mention again later but this particular staff person was the ONLY highlight of the stay. Also, in this room, the TV didn't work.

Third, we went to the new room, much cooler, bed was neat, but again TV did not work. We are very electronically savy people so it was NOT us. I called the same girl at the front desk and she had the guy on duty to come fix it - he couldn't fix it but he and his co-worker did replace it with another tv so that when we came back from dinner with friends it would be working.

So after all of this, we finally get back "home" at midnight, everything seems fine, we are all 3 looking forward to sleeping in after a great night out with friends. When at 5:45 AM - the Fire Alarm goes off and we are woken up terrified because we have our 7 year old and 6 flights of stairs to evacuate. We all rushed to grab shoes and rushed out the door - only to find, the ONLY ROOM WITH THE FIRE ALARM GOING OFF WAS OURS!!!! I called the front desk, a not so friendly person answered and actually laughed when I told him what was happening. The person comes to fix the alarm and he literally could not get it to stop, he had to rip it out of the wall. And as he did, he shook his head and apoligized profusely. He said make sure to mention this when we check out because he understands that this is unacceptable.

So, when we went to check out, the nice girl (her name was Mocha) said that she was not going to check us out because we had been through so much in our short stay. She was very nice about it and must have said she was sorry about 5 or 6 times. I was hopeful that her manager would be just as understanding......

NOPE, the manager was supposed to call me and didn't. I called her the next morning only to be hung up on. I called right back and she was laughing as she answered the phone which was completely unprofessional. I explained that Mocha was going to speak with her about my situation and said she would call me and never did - she said she didn't have a number for me (although I am a Starwood member and my profile is updated with all my information). She NEVER apoligized, only said she could give me 1000 Starwood points and "call it even" ummmm not even acceptable. She then offered me a $20 refund which I still found unacceptable so I called the 800 customer service number where they did offer me another $20 refund.

My poing here is I did receive $40 refund but considering I slept there 5 hours and 45 minutes and had several things happen to us, a free nights stay was in order. More importantly everyone EXCEPT the manager was apoligetic and professional. Whomever does the hiring at this hotel needs to re-evaluate their choice.

MOCHA was THE absolute best customer service representative before and after our incidents.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
elementgm, Manager at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, August 9, 2010
Aloha,

I am so sorry to hear about all the issues you encountered during your stay. Obviously we want to make every one of our guests feel comfortable, at ease and be able to enjoy their sleep. Unfortunately as you stated you were disturbed very early and again I apologize for having to deal with that. I am not sure who you spoke with on our management team but I assure you that the treatment you received will not happen again. Being treated in the way you described as unprofessional is well below our standards for acceptable. Thank you for all of your input especially kinds words about our Talent member Mocha I will make sure to pass your kinds words along. I am so sorry for your ordeal and hope that one day you will give us another chance and we will be able to give you a much more pleasant stay.
Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

I stayed for one evening on business. The first thing I'll say is that the front desk staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. I arrived at 9am, expecting just to drop my bags, but the front desk had a room and put me into it right away. The room was clean, and neat. It had plenty of room to work, and the desk was in front of the window, so I could look out. That's always a nice touch as so many hotel desks face away from the outdoors. The beds were comfortable and the price was reasonable. The only negative was slow service in the lobby bar, and a cap'n and coke was $10. That's a little higher than necessary, even after taking into account a 'hotel upcharge'. Though, truthfully, it annoyed me only because it was so hard to get it in the first place. Service would have been 5 stars if I hadn't gone to the lobby bar.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

We stayed at the Aloft Arundel Hills this week and must say this hotel (and chain) is a refreshing new addition to the hotel industry. Aloft has turned a lot of the standards in the hotel business upside down, and we were pleasantly surprised by our stay.

Upon entering the lobby the first time, we were almost stunned by what we saw. A very eclectic style, with upbeat pop/dance music, cheery staff, and LOTS of color. There was a pool table in the lobby too which is odd for a typical Starwood hotel. Check-in was a breeze, and when we entered our room, we were equally as stunned. Not your typical hotel room, but rather a quasi NYC loft kind of space. Again, lots of cool soothing colors, retro furnishings, and a room layout which was more like a Kimpton hotel. Bathroom was cool, walk in shower with big glass door, rainfall showerhead, and shampoo/soap in a dispenser. Free bottled water and free wi-fi IN ROOM, were great! Ample space overall, with a lively vibe to the room.

Staff was very good and professional, always greeting guests with "ALOHA". Read some of the other reviews about how the lobby was busy on Fri/Sat nights. We didn't think was busy at all either nite, even with the posh WXYZ bar in full action.

Oh and they allow pets with no fee and no hassle. They even provide bowls, treats, and toys for the dogs.

Overall, loved the hotel and will definitely return to another ALOFT soon.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Aloha,

Thank you so much for your review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your first experience with the Aloft Vibe. We are so glad you chose us and can't wait until you return. Also you are right we love our four legged friends to be our guests as well. Thank you again and we can't wait to welcome you again with a warm Aloha.

Been to Aloft Arundel Mills? Share your experiences!