“Do not stay here - unless you like the hood” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$10 Breakfast Credit
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Hanover
Virginia
“Do not stay here - unless you like the hood”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

I stayed at Aloft last month due to weekend orders to report to Fort Meade. I brought my wife and 2 kids with me (8 and 2) and thought we might enjoy a peaceful weekend away. We pulled into the hotel around 9:00 p.m. and the first thing that caught my attention was the LOUD music pumping out speakers in the lobby area when I checked in. The lobby wasn't so much a hotel lobby as it was a ghetto club, rap music blaring and people everywhere. I almost turned around and went to a new hotel but I had already pre-paid online. The only thing worse than checking in in this environment was having to go get my wife and kids and bring them through "da club" and to the elevator. I can understand trying to be young and hip, but seriously, I was afraid that someone was going to whip out a gun during the middle of the 50 cent song and clear the place out. Unbelievable. I booked this hotel based upon the internet photos of game tables and a nice pool for my kids, but I was always afraid to take my kids near any of these places. The bottom line is that unless you love rap music and heading into the hood to go clubbing - stay away.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
elementgm, General Manager at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, May 26, 2010
First and foremost thank you for your comments about our hotel. We have been working hard to create a fun, relaxed and inviting atmosphere in our hotel for all our guests. We have made a lot of changes in order to fulfill those ideas since your stay. We also want to make sure that we are creating a place where families and indidviduals alike can feel comfortable with our space. I certainly hope that if in the area you will stay with us again; we would love you return and I think you would find our atmosphere much different from what you encountered.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

We stayed here over a long weekend with our two kids. The hotel was "hip" and contemporary. The rooms were comfortable, the beds we excellent! We enjoyed the lobby or the "loft" as they called it, playing board games, the pool to splash and relax, and even checked out the state of the art workout room. Location is excellent, just far enough way from the mall, but still a 5 minute drive. The staff went out of thier way to make us comfortable! Kudos to all the staff at the Aloft!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2009

Absolutely loved this place! I loved the ultra contemporary design and decorations! I'm often leary of "internet advertisements", and the price made me even more leary but I took a gamble and made my reservations online anyway..... AND BOY WAS I ELATED!!!

The receptionist was pleasant and check in was a breeze. The room was so clean I almost didn't want to touch anything. I loved everything about it ie the sliding, mirror bathroom door, the large flat screen tv mounted on the wall, the frosted glass, ceiling-to floor shower window visable from inside both the shower and the bedroom, the comfortable platform bed, the round, bowl sink, the storage space, the BLISS CONDIMENTS etc etc etc etc

SO LONG MICROTEL AND HAMPTON INN... MY HEART BELONGS TO ALOFT!!!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

I stayed at the aloft arundel mills this past weekend (Oct 30- Nov 1) for two nights from the beginning they were very accommodating. I booked online in september and when I went back to check the rates two weeks before the trip the rate decreased. I called them and they gave me the lower rate. I also needed to check in very late, that was also no problem. As soon as pulled into the parking lot and saw the nice colors we knew we were going to enjoy our stay. We walked into the lobby and was greeted with Aloha. The lobby had lots of color, a bar, pool table and lots of tables, chairs and couches for seating. We checked in quickly (two adults and one nine year old). When we arrived at the room we were very pleased. It was very modern. The only complaint my friend had was that their was no dresser. I didn't mind this because I never use the dresser when I travel. The closet also is not your conventional closet (but it is roomy enough for all to hang your clothes if you want. The bathroom also didn't have a bathtub but that was also fine with me. The shower had shampoo anf body wash dispensers in them. We called the front desk for an extra set of towels and they arrived in less than 10 minutes. The hotel was close to a huge mall. When I am looking for hotels I will definately check to see if there is an Aloft in that city.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

This was the best hotel I think I've ever stayed in. It was beautiful! I didn't want to leave. Very clean, lots of activity.

Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Virginia Beach, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

We held our 3rd TCE Career & Business Meetup at this event and they delivered EXTREME customer service and presentation. Food was excellent, ambiance was exceptional, Brian the Operations Manager got the vision...and delivered it! The Aloft talent team Yolanda, Franky, Marilyn & Martin the General Manager exceeded ALL expectations and made our guest and my company http://TceNow.com "look good". In this economy customer service is KING...and Aloft Arundel Mills delivers. I STRONGLY suggest you hold YOUR next business event (large or small) here, you will be more than satisfied! Based on the performance and RED CARPET presentation, we will bring our events here for the 2010 season.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
new york, ny
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

We stayed at the Aloft for two nights to attend a family wedding in Baltimore. We have a 14 month old child and found it difficult to find things we needed to make it a good stay. First the rooms were small- we ended up getting 2 adjoining rooms and leaving the door open because the room was too small to accomodate our pack and play and allow us to move about the room. There are no bathtubs. The sinks are a contemporary stylye and TINY: a bath in the sink was not possible. The food selection in the lobby is poor and you pay for everything, including a cup of coffee. There is a large mall across the street which could be entertaining if that interests you but the restaraunt choices in the area are very unhealthy- fast food. There is a very nice supermarket very close and that was a lifesaver but the minifridge in the room didnt work which i realized after keeping a half gallon of milk for bottles in overnight only to find it warm in the morning.
It is a 20-30 min drive to Baltimore, further than we thought.
The pool is very nice and fitness center is nice. The staff is very friendly and helpful. However, at the end of a day of feeling that most basic daily acitivities for the family (eating, finding child appropriate entertainment, and bathing) were a huge struggle, my husband and i decided to rent a movie after our son went to bed. There are no movies available through the cable service at the hotel.
This hotel is an affordable and fine option for a business traveler but not good for families with young children.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanover
The Hotel at Arundel Preserve
#8 of 14 in Hanover
4.0 of 5 stars 288 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Baltimore - BWI Airport West
Homewood Suites by Hilton Baltimore-Arundel Mills

Been to Aloft Arundel Mills? Share your experiences!