“Average weekend stay.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Hanover
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Average weekend stay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

If you're looking for a hotel for a quick in-town stay,and don't need all the extra amenities, then this is the hotel for you. The hotel is purely average. Nothing spectacular about about it. Our hotel room was quiet and I liked the open loft feel. The sun blockers were great, too. The service was fine for an in and out stay, but if you're looking for impeccable service for more than a weekend, move on. There is a weight room (apparently) and a pool. The pool was small and filled with children most of the time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Montagma,
Thank you for taking the time to write an online review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay at Aloft. Aloft Hotels is one of Starwood's select service brands and is geared towards the self-sufficien traveler looking for something different than the typical cookie-cutter experience. Thank you for sharing and we look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

First off, I am not usually that critical of hotels because I understand that sometimes a thing or two may be out of line but the hotel normally makes up for it in other ways. Secondly, I am a devoted SPG member and have come to expect a certain level of service. To begin, I have stayed at the Aloft in Arundel Mills, MD on many occasions since it opened. I can truly say that the impeccable service that is exuded at the many other Starwood hotels is non-existent at this hotel. I had pre-paid for a 2 night stay over Thanksgiving weekend but realized that I would be arriving a day late. To not have my room released I called the front desk to make them aware of the small change. The person at the front desk said it would not be a problem. He mispronounced my name and when I nicely corrected him, sucked his teeth and chuckled. The following day when I arrived at about 3pm, the same person was at the front desk. There was a line of about a half dozen guests who were waiting for rooms. They were being told that rooms were not ready yet or released into the computer system. I proceeded to tell the person at the front desk that I was the person that called the night before and requested that my room be held. He told me that he understood what I was saying but that there were no rooms available yet I waited about 30 minutes before given a room. Upon getting to my room, I discovered hair on one of my pillows and the sheets did not look clean. There was someone vacuuming the hallway so I told them of the situation. She told them they would take my room key card to the front desk to rectify the situation. They were in agreement that hair was on the pillow and also concurred that it wasn’t my hair as I am bald. The front desk told me they would send someone up with clean sheets and pillowcases. The straw that broke the camel’s back was seeing a broken soap gel bottle in the shower. I have been too many Aloft and Element hotels and the soap gel bottle design is less to be desired of but at other location where they have fallen off the wall there were fixed the same day. At this location you would think that with the change of a new person coming into the room they would change the cracked dispenser bottle, but that was not the case. This stay will in no way stray me away from the Starwood brand. I will definitely not be staying at this again. It is clear that there is an evidence problem from the top of management on down at this location. The service at this hotel was nothing like this when they first opened a few years ago. Something has drastically changed since their first days of opening. I am sure with just a major change in management and the people we will be right back to this hotel being a part of the great Starwood brand, I know and love.

Dear worldtravellersnyc,
Thank you for being loyal to Starwood and to our hotel in particular. We apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations this time around and your trust in us has been diminishing. We would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally about your past experiences. Please reach out to our General Manager, Dan at dan.jasinski@aloftarundelmills.com. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.
Northern Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Good hotel with reasonable prices (at least when we went). Hotel was clean and modern in design. Room and bathroom was spacious all with normal amenities. Lobby area had a bar with large screen tv along with a pool table (which was very nice as my husband and I enjoyed several games). Hotel provides a free shuttle to local attractions (mall, casino, airport, etc). Which was great. Staff was also very pleasant. Enjoy the one night stay and would recommend.

Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

our flight got cancelled at the Baltimore airport so we called reservations.com to get a cheap room. it was 12pm during a snowstorm and aloft, which I had never heard of, and holiday inn were the options. Both were ~$100 a night. We decided to give this a try for something different. Luckily, the shuttle came to get us at the airport even though it was late.

when we arrived at aloft, we found out it was the wrong one. we were booked at the Arundel mills location and had accidentally gotten on the airport aloft shuttle. we call Arundel mills and they said it happens quite often and to ask the driver to take us there. the driver replied that it was past his shift and we "wasn't going nowhere." Luckily, the manager got a hold of the other driver and she came to pick us up. Thank goodness. She was very nice. we were cold, tired, and stranded without luggage on our way back from Jamaica.

the resort has somewhat of an ikea feel. modern looking (I know my parents wouldn't like it) but not very lux. I later found out it is part of the W chain but a cheaper alternative.

this hotel seems like it was in a great location - there was shopping and a casino near by. it was in a nice part of town.

not the nicest hotel but a good option for the price.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear kaylin m,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We're sorry to hear about the airport shuttle mess up, but glad you were able to get to the hotel safely. Aloft Hotels is part of the Starwood family and one of the nine lifestyle brands within the portfolio. Thanks for sharing and we look forward to the opportunity to host you again.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I liked the layout of the property as soon as you come in you can see the pool table...there is a bar however I did not see anyone bartending it when I came in at 12:00pm...maybe it opens later...although I did not see any bartender there when I came back to hotel at around 1:15am. The hotel does look trendy and VERY close to the casino. They also have a shuttle that can bring you to the casino anytime and pick you up. Overall, I would come back to this property if I had to come into the area again, however I do not anticpating coming back to Handover, MD anytime in the near or distant future. Almost, forgot...the air conditioning was too extreme either way to cold or to hot had to change it mutiple times throughout night...after reviewing that aspect I would actually prefer to stay in different hotel...although maybe it was just that room's issue and ac could be better throughout property.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Michael C,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent visit to Hanover. We're glad you enjoyed our convenient location to Maryland Live Casino. Thanks for sharing and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Aloft is made to look ritzy but in all actuality is cheap. Pool does not have a whirlpool. Nice room set ups yet beds are horrible.Second one I have went to with a bad back both times. I got this on a casino comp, and that is the only reason I would stay here. No breakfast either.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear hokieman90,
Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry to hear your recent stay did not meet your expectations. Aloft Hotels is not a full-service property, we are one of the select service brands within the Starwood portfolio. We have an indoor, heated pool and made-to-order breakfast options for purchase at Re:fuel. Starwood has six full service, lifestyle brands should that be a better fit for your travel style. Thank you again for sharing.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

My husband and I loved this hotel.
We won a free night stay and we were very impressed.
Customer service was awesome. Very close to restaurants and shopping area too.
We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear robynvitto,
We're happy you were able to try out Aloft Hotels. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you choose Aloft Hotels for your future travels.

Been to Aloft Arundel Mills? Share your experiences!