“Great stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Hanover
San Diego, California
“Great stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I hadn't read any of the negative reviews, but I came back here in October of 2013 after a wonderful stay in June of 2010 before I was using yelp. This time, we had our wedding party stay here and the rooms were priced reasonably and it was a good location relative to Annapolis and the town we had our reception in.

The hotel itself, along with the Element hotel it's attached to is a modern, well appointed hotel. The Aloft are all suites which include full size fridges, furniture, flat screen TVs, free wifi, and even a nice little happy hour with free appetizers and free or very cheap wine and beer and a nice breakfast buffet in the morning. The service was adequate, our first night was questionable, but never had a problem the remainder of the stay. The gym and courtyard are nice- even had a fire pit; the pool is very tiny.

Ultimately, it's clean, it's modern, it's a good place to unwind, it's close to area restaurants, mall and casino and is very close to the airport and a quick drive to nicer towns like Annapolis. I say enjoy your stay!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Danma11,
Thank you for your honest review. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and that your guests enjoyed their time at the Aloft and Element. The free breakfast and evening reception are perks at the Element Hotel. At Aloft, we provide made-to-order breakfast options at an additional fee and small bites and signature cocktails for you to order at W XYZ . Otherwise, we're happy to hear you enjoyed our convenient location to the mall, casino, and airport. We look forward to you returning in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Crofton, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My husband and I went here the night of our wedding for a lay over while we waited for our flight the next day. The staff was unprofessional - had a smart attitude and did not want to assist us in getting food. The lines were messed up in the hotel so we could not order room service. Not to mention that we asked for any local recommendations and they told us to come down and get the menu's....
The room was nothing as it appeared on line the furniture looked like it was misplaced or maybe just not properly disigned. As soon as you come in the door there is a refrigerator in the bathroom - it looked awkward...oh and there was duck tape up around a ceiling lamp and there were water spots on the ceiling in the bathroom this was definetly not the worst but not worth the money that was paid.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

This property boasts a very modern design in the building, common areas, and guest rooms. Upon arrival, you’ll notice a well kept vibrant exterior which houses an urban lobby and bar area. The design of this property seems to promote relaxation. The guest services representatives behind a round front desk checked me in with speed and efficiency, although they weren’t the most personable. The gentlemen checking me in barely said hello and had more interest in carrying on a conversation with his coworker. In the lobby you’ll find a very modern bar offering a nice selection of beer and mixed drinks. Two tablet style computers are located adjacent to the front desk and are a nice convenience to guests travelling without their own. Although I didn’t have a chance to use the pool, I did notice that it too boasted a very modern design and looked to be very clean. The gym continues the modern look with bright lighting and carpeting and a nice selection of clean equipment. After looking around the property I then went up to my room. The guest rooms offer a nice use of space and are well appointed with modern amenities and designs. Blues and natural woods adorn the room with silvers and glass in the bathrooms. Upon entering the room you’ll notice the bathroom off to your right with a sliding door to the toilet and glass enclosed standup shower. I’m a big fan of water conservation but the shower heads in this hotel seem to be ultra water saving units as the water flow was minimal. I did like that the shower was equipped with stocked shampoo and body wash dispensers. The sink and vanity area was bright and offered a nice tile floor that also lead into the bathroom. Continuing into the room you’ll find a platform style bed. Those not used to firmer mattresses might need to get used to this style of bed. Unlike some other reviews I did not find any signs of bed bugs in this room. All of the rooms offer tall ceilings which give a sense that the room is slightly larger. A large flat screen TV adorns the wall in front of the bed and offered a decent channel selection. There are also input jacks that allow you to connect a DVD player or the like to the TV. Two cordless phones are in the room as well as hardwired and wireless internet. Unfortunately I was not able to utilize WIFI because I had no signal in my room, but the wired connection worked flawlessly. This should be addressed as most devices on the market no longer have network jacks. As far as sleep went, I got it the first night after getting used to a constant sound of running water seemingly coming from the ceiling in my bathroom. The second night however, I did not sleep. I heard people talking and laughing in the rooms above me and next door. Because they were not being extremely loud, I did not call the front desk. Overall, the stay was ok. Price point was inline with what was offered and was competitive to the area. Security wasn’t an issue either with this hotel as a key card is required to access any entry doors other than the main entrance.

Room Tip: Light sleeper? Try asking for a room on a floor that doesn’t have a lot of people staying on it.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Belvidere, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Stayed here while in town for Baltimore Running Festival. The first night a noisy neighbor woke us at 4 a.m. with strange noises (not quite animal, not quite human). Not management's fault I guess, but the walls sure seemed thin. We had race to run in the morning so were unhappy to be awoken. The management apologized and the next night was noiseless.
The location was good--close enough to the city and Annapolis. The towels were good as were the shampoos and soaps. I did not see bugs and found the bed comfortable. The bar area was kind of trippy and the front desk staff were overwhelmed much of the time.
If they threw in a free continental breakfast, it might have helped my attitude.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear peggymalone,
Thank you for your review. We hope you had a great time at the Baltimore Running Festival and beat your personal time in the race. We're sorry your first night's sleep was not as great as you would have liked but happy to hear the 2nd night was much better. We unfortunately do not have free breakfast, but do offer made-to-order breakfast options at Re:fuel. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Chicagoland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My first stay at an Aloft, and I enjoyed my stay a lot. The rooms are small, but I really liked the design/furnishings and the prices are competitive. The bar was nicer than most hotels at similar price points, and so was the fitness area and pool. I will definitely try Aloft in other locations now.

The guy who checked me in and the girl who checked me out were efficient, but being personable doesn't seem to be in the Aloft training manual, just piggybacking on this observation from others. Yes, the folks at some hotels may go a little overboard with "nice" - but no harm in that...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Craig J,
Thank you for your positive review. We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed our stay and appreciate our urban-inspired design. Thank you for letting us know of the experience you had at check-in and checkout, while they were effecient, providing great customer service is one of our priorities and will be addressed at our next Welcome Desk team training. We appreciate your comments and look forward to your return.
Marlton, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Location is right across the street of a huge mall and great restaurants. Overall room, very small, cute, but the bed was horrible. My husband and I woke up with massive back pains. We are 25- 30 years old, don't suffer from back issues. The bed feels like a sofa bed, no comfort what so ever. Won't return.

• Stayed October 2013
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear jeanreg13,
Thank you for your online review. We're happy to hear you enjoyed our convenient location and apologize that you did not have an as comfortable stay as you would have liked. Our Aloft beds are platform beds and do take some time to get used to.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was traveling for a 3 day business trip, the hotel attempts for modern chic it does an ok job. The rooms layout is not the norm, which gives it a different flare. Don't let the layout, modern boutique style furniture fool you the rooms are small. The bed was comfortable, rooms were clean (I didn't experience any bugs). The staff was nice, helpful.
The location is great, across the street from Arundel Mills, which has a huge mall and casino. There surrounding area also has lots of shopping malls, with multiple food options.
This hotel is on the same property as the Elements hotel, which is less chic but better quality.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear jdmrent,
Thank you for choosing Aloft Hotels. We're glad you enjoyed your room and our convenience location to Arundel Mills Mall, Maryland Live Casino and other area shops and restaurants. Thank you for sharing and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to Aloft Arundel Mills? Share your experiences!