“Last resort” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Hanover
Montreal, QC, Canada
“Last resort”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

When you pull up the hotel looks very modern and chic. Check in was a little hectic. Only one person at the front desk at peak check-in hours. Room is a good size, however bathroom door didn't close, entire room (especially the bathroom) smelled of urine. Mirror above bathroom sink is being held up my duct tape. Noisy too. Very thin walls. Probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear guest2009,
We're sorry your recent experience did not meet your expectations. Thank you for reporting the issues with your guest room, we will look to make improvements.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Abington, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

The cool "liquid tiles"in the elevators are all blown out, leaking on the floor - stepping in it and tracking it throughout the place. My room had a funky smell, guess I got used to it.

The bed is.... Ehhh. Not a bed I would attempt to fold in half and put in my carry on luggage, I did sleep pretty good though (here for a week).

The TV remote and phones (2) in the rooms are a joke, I truly thought the phones were fake, I still can't get them to work. You have to push the buttons on the TV remote so hard to get them to work - I was ready to perform a handstand on the thing. I truly thought the remote was broken, as I was at the front desk asking for a replacement, another guest sayed "push the buttons really hard"....

No storage, no closet, no nothing. currently have my bag and clothes layed out on one of the desks.

Aloft, I think it's pretty obvious you guys need to start tightening up some stuff.

Good luck

• Stayed September 2013
Ringwood, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My first Aloft experience was outside of Kansas City. Aside from the loud party at the bar right below my room, I thought that was a really nice, modern hotel. I was excited to stay at another Aloft during a drive to Florida - I refuse to stay at "cheap motels!" I decided to bid on a room for the first stop along the way, and I was delighted that Aloft Arundel Mills accepted my bid. This Aloft was not quite as nice, unfortunately, though it was much quieter! I suspect the Aloft Arundel Mills is on the older side or just has really high traffic. It is showing signs of wear and tear and was not as clean as I would expect a 3 star hotel to be. Perhaps the owner should consider investing in a remodel at some point soon. I probably would not stay here again, as I am sure there are nicer, newer properties to stay at while in the area.

Room Tip: Don't pay full price!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear A C,
Thank you for staying with Aloft Hotels during your recent travel to the Baltimore area. Our hotel is a little bit older, however, that is not an excuse for the cleanliness issue you experienced. We have forwarded your comments to the appropriate teams, as well as, management. We hope you try us out again and give us another opportunity to host you on your next road trip.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

The world is filled with crappy hotels, I have stayed in my last one...thanks Aloft Arundel Mills. When you take you first step into this 20-something themed party hotel, you are greeted by: neon lights, blaring music and bowls of cat and dog food...and a scent in the air, like desperation and pet farm. That aside, I was there only for one night, I figured how bad could it be? I checked in late and only wanted to sleep for a few hours.

I walk into a hyper bright room where the light attempts to shade the massive amount of stains on the floor. The rooms are set up like a dorm room for 30 year olds. The "beds" are mushy, filing free single mattress platform beds on what feels like steel rollers. The floor albeit filthy would have been more comfortable and possibly cleaner to sleep on. . ...

Nothing in that room looked, smelled or felt right. My room had two beds and a scent of a St. Bernard (I was on the no pet floor mind you). The first bed smelled like taint. There is no polite way to put it. I opted for bed # 2, hoping that ...with it being the farther of the two that it might be sanitary enough to sleep for 6 hours. I was woefully wrong. I conned myself into laying in that bed at 2:00 am. At 7:30 I awoke in a cold sweat to odd bites on my upper arm. I jumped up and pulled back the single sheet, the paper thin mattress cover (that only covered 70% of the bed) to find that I was sleeping on a bed fit for a $2.00 hooker. I couldn't help it, I had to take pictures of the massive multi stained mattress and of the strange blood spots on the underside of the cover (between the mattress and the mattress cover). I then immediately took an hour long steaming hot shower and then called for the manager. Although an apologetic housekeeping staff responded with promises of a "same day infestation investigation", I am still waiting for that manager and the report from the county to respond.

I simply can't put my head around what type of human would purposely stay at an Aloft? I got there through priceline's hotel roulette of hell. But people who willing stay there? I can't fathom. Had I laid my head down in the Aloft parking lot, I would have had a better night. Starwood should be appalled to own such a low rent chain of properties. I will forever keep that in mind the next time I consider bringing a conference to another Westin property.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Nikki_Darling,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent visit to Hanover. Your review is very alarming to us and we would love the opportunity to personally discuss your experience. Please reach out to the Assistant General Manager, Jarrod at jmanna@ltdhospitality.com. We look forward to speaking with you.
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed here for one night. Very clean, modern, and comfortable. Excellent value. Loved the Bliss products and slept very well. Very close to Outlets, Casino and many restaurants. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear cocolove78,
We're ecstatic to hear you enjoyed your recent stay in Hanover and benefitted from our convenient location. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Safe travels!
Fairfax VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Pleasant caring staff who worked hard to please guests. However the fit and finish of hotel was shabby chic at best. Loud wall unit AC does not do much for a restful night. Hotel seems to be a makeover of a Red Roof. Will not stay at another ALOFT - for the money they charge and the facility they provide - great staff cannot make amends.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear MysteryTravler
We are so sorry that your recent visit did not meet your expectations. We strive in providing each and every one of our guests with a comfortable, pleasant stay. Please contact me at pahmed@ltdhospitality.com to discuss your experience further. We hope this experience does not deter you from staying with us again.
East Point, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

My husband and I have 6 family and class reunions to attend this year! We had never stayed at an aloft before and were looking forward to it. I guess we were not hip enough because the layout is not conventional. We liked that aspect at first and then realized there was no bureau drawers - or any kind of drawers for out of sight storage. There were no privacy doors on bathroom. Just a kind of sliding contraption. No microwave either. But we were welcomed to take elevator down to lobby and use microwave there - which is what I did. Staff was very friendly and didn't make us wait until check-in time of 4pm to get our room just because we came in on early flight from Atlanta with our 10 yr old granddaughter. We very graciously waited a couple hours and were rewarded with our room by noon. Their was a hotel shuttle to take us to local attractions if needed.

Room Tip: No complimentary breakfast. You have to pay for each item you select. Coffee was complimentary thoug...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Aloft Arundel Mills? Share your experiences!