“Disgusting, Repulsive, Revolting...and there's more” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Hanover
Chicago, Illinois
“Disgusting, Repulsive, Revolting...and there's more”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

The world is filled with crappy hotels, I have stayed in my last one...thanks Aloft Arundel Mills. When you take you first step into this 20-something themed party hotel, you are greeted by: neon lights, blaring music and bowls of cat and dog food...and a scent in the air, like desperation and pet farm. That aside, I was there only for one night, I figured how bad could it be? I checked in late and only wanted to sleep for a few hours.

I walk into a hyper bright room where the light attempts to shade the massive amount of stains on the floor. The rooms are set up like a dorm room for 30 year olds. The "beds" are mushy, filing free single mattress platform beds on what feels like steel rollers. The floor albeit filthy would have been more comfortable and possibly cleaner to sleep on. . ...

Nothing in that room looked, smelled or felt right. My room had two beds and a scent of a St. Bernard (I was on the no pet floor mind you). The first bed smelled like taint. There is no polite way to put it. I opted for bed # 2, hoping that ...with it being the farther of the two that it might be sanitary enough to sleep for 6 hours. I was woefully wrong. I conned myself into laying in that bed at 2:00 am. At 7:30 I awoke in a cold sweat to odd bites on my upper arm. I jumped up and pulled back the single sheet, the paper thin mattress cover (that only covered 70% of the bed) to find that I was sleeping on a bed fit for a $2.00 hooker. I couldn't help it, I had to take pictures of the massive multi stained mattress and of the strange blood spots on the underside of the cover (between the mattress and the mattress cover). I then immediately took an hour long steaming hot shower and then called for the manager. Although an apologetic housekeeping staff responded with promises of a "same day infestation investigation", I am still waiting for that manager and the report from the county to respond.

I simply can't put my head around what type of human would purposely stay at an Aloft? I got there through priceline's hotel roulette of hell. But people who willing stay there? I can't fathom. Had I laid my head down in the Aloft parking lot, I would have had a better night. Starwood should be appalled to own such a low rent chain of properties. I will forever keep that in mind the next time I consider bringing a conference to another Westin property.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Nikki_Darling,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent visit to Hanover. Your review is very alarming to us and we would love the opportunity to personally discuss your experience. Please reach out to the Assistant General Manager, Jarrod at jmanna@ltdhospitality.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed here for one night. Very clean, modern, and comfortable. Excellent value. Loved the Bliss products and slept very well. Very close to Outlets, Casino and many restaurants. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear cocolove78,
We're ecstatic to hear you enjoyed your recent stay in Hanover and benefitted from our convenient location. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Safe travels!
Fairfax VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Pleasant caring staff who worked hard to please guests. However the fit and finish of hotel was shabby chic at best. Loud wall unit AC does not do much for a restful night. Hotel seems to be a makeover of a Red Roof. Will not stay at another ALOFT - for the money they charge and the facility they provide - great staff cannot make amends.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear MysteryTravler
We are so sorry that your recent visit did not meet your expectations. We strive in providing each and every one of our guests with a comfortable, pleasant stay. Please contact me at pahmed@ltdhospitality.com to discuss your experience further. We hope this experience does not deter you from staying with us again.
East Point, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

My husband and I have 6 family and class reunions to attend this year! We had never stayed at an aloft before and were looking forward to it. I guess we were not hip enough because the layout is not conventional. We liked that aspect at first and then realized there was no bureau drawers - or any kind of drawers for out of sight storage. There were no privacy doors on bathroom. Just a kind of sliding contraption. No microwave either. But we were welcomed to take elevator down to lobby and use microwave there - which is what I did. Staff was very friendly and didn't make us wait until check-in time of 4pm to get our room just because we came in on early flight from Atlanta with our 10 yr old granddaughter. We very graciously waited a couple hours and were rewarded with our room by noon. Their was a hotel shuttle to take us to local attractions if needed.

Room Tip: No complimentary breakfast. You have to pay for each item you select. Coffee was complimentary thoug...
wallingford, conn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

i got to see this hotel first hand with my family member for a weekend series of the Red Sox- Orioles games and much to my surprise i was so happy to see such great accomodations in our room.He has been here before and chose this hotel again ... beautiful layout of the bathroom area- nice huge vanity with absolutely full size mirrors and another full size mirror on the door in the vanity outside of the shower area. a nice mini fridge was a great plus to the room so we could keep our juices cold overnite. the bedding was just so comfortable with a nice light down comforter.a nice sitting area desk. all in all very appealing.very quiet as the hotel was full last weekend. again the price for the overnite stay was extremely reasonable and the location was awesome right near the mall for shopping.check in was fast and same for checkout. we didnt stay for breakfast the next morning as we had plans for the game at camden yards. i would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a great place to stay.
mittens - CT.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear mittens82755,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay. We are thrilled to hear you had a great first experience with Aloft Hotels and enjoyed the decor and layout of our spacious, loft-like rooms. Thanks again for sharing and we hope you come visit us again soon.
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Another great great comfortable stay this past weekend at Aloft. Negative reviews all over this board for this hotel, why! Bottom of the list of Hanover hotels on this site. I don't understand it. I'm nowhere near picky when staying at a hotel but will give piece of mind on dumpy lodgings, worn down lodgings, etc. This Aloft is very modern, updated, and clean. I've stayed here now 3 years in a row for Red Sox n Orioles games. Very conveniently located 10 minutes from Camden Yards and out of the area of high cost hotels the inner harbor has that come with high cost of parking. Aloft has free parking, free internet with password required which the front desk gives upon check in. Internet took a few tries to log on but no problem, it's called having patience.Tv is flat screen and worked fine. Phone in the room worked fine. Outlets all worked for charging phones. The carpet wasn't the super cleanest of all, looks like a couple deep stains but nothing that stands out. Bathroom was spotless, shower was clean, toilet was clean, and everything ran just perfect. Although I wonder why some of the water got out of the shower during my shower onto the bathroom floor but no big deal, maybe it was me. Hotel was packed full as it usually is when im there every summer. I love this place. I wouldnt stay anywhere else but I might try the Element next door just to see what that is all about. Other than that, I'll keep coming back to this place. It's a luxury feel for a days inn price. Then again it is the starwood chain with great hotels at the top of the chain that I'll never be able to afford to stay in.

Beds were super comfortable, pillows were comfortable. I checked every inch of the bed upon check in based on recent reviews about bugs or something. Not one. Not one around the bed. People need to realize, people bring bugs with them a lot of times to hotels from home. People have bad hygeine. I dont attract bugs and didnt find any in the room. I guess if I want to get stubborn, one of the shades was a challenge closing, could use a greasing or something.

Didn't take up on the breakfast. Staff was friendly with a smooth and fast check in and check out process, emailing the bill to me upon check out was cool.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Melissa C, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear RoadRabbitTC,
We really appreciate your review, thanks for sharing! We are so glad that you've continued to enjoy your experience at Aloft during your annual Red Sox v Orioles baseball games and we hope to see you soon. Take care!
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I've always wanted to stay at one since the concept sounded awesome and this finally happened in July 2013 since I had a work function to attend for a few days in Baltimore. Finding a low price on this place sealed the deal so I took advantage of it! The property is nice but both rooms I stayed had a little wear-and-tear, but nothing major or disturbing. The beds were very comfortable and the big flat-screens TV's and free wifi are a major plus. I might be crazy but the TV's seem like they are bigger than what I've had in a room at Hilton or Holiday Inn. I really dig their minimalist layout and the staff I encountered were very friendly if I had questions or needed anything. There is also a ton of parking (which is free) and I noticed shuttles to BWI which would be great for people traveling out of there. The only suggestion I have is putting up signs for Aloft when you enter the property through the courtyard gate. The Aloft is connected to the Element hotel and both exteriors look the same, this confused me at first but when I tried checking in at Element thinking it was Aloft they let me know where to go. All in all it's a great place to stay if the price is right and i would certainly stay here again or at another Aloft if I'm in a different city. For some reason I felt like I was living in the video game Grand Theft Auto since every time I came down on the elevator as soon as the doors opened I was greeted by loud trance/dance music, I'm not complaining at all I just found that funny.

Room Tip: There are tons of places restaurants across from Ridge Rd. in the plaza that has a Wells Fargo and S...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear KB630,
We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels, especially since this was your first experience with Aloft hotels. We hope you'll come back to see us soon. Take care!

Been to Aloft Arundel Mills? Share your experiences!