“HORRIBLE!!! Aloft Arundel Mills, Hanover MD” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Hanover
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“HORRIBLE!!! Aloft Arundel Mills, Hanover MD”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

If zero was a choice to use for ranking, that would be it for the pathetic service at this hotel. The service was soooo bad that the fact that the hotel is quite nice, made no difference. We arrived, reservation in hand at 10:15 pm (having specified our late arrival). Ahead of us in line was a young couple, plus two people who appeared to be waiting for some word from the lone reservation clerk. The clerk seemed to be chatting to one of the single women who was (we can only assume) waiting for a room assignment. The other single person at some point got a room key and left (around 10:30pm).

By this time, a young guy all dressed in his wedding suit was on line behind us, and another woman was waiting behind him. The female clerk had not made eye contact with anyone but the woman she had been speaking with since we got on line, nor of course had she made even the slightest attempt to explain what was going on to anyone. According to the woman guest she'd been speaking with all this time, the Starwood system had overbooked and there were three floors that had recently been painted and apparently were not supposed to be used for guests.

Around 10:40 pm, another clerk arrived, they conferred briefly, and the inept female left the area. The new clerk finally started checking folks in. But as it turns out, we were all being assigned to the newly painted rooms! At 11 pm, we got our room on the 6th floor, went in and nearly had tears in our eyes from the paint fumes. Tried the tv but the remote didn't work. As my partner went back down to demand a different room, the newly married bride and groom were on their way to their room --also on the 6th floor.

In the end we finally were given a room at the Element Hotel which is also a Starwood hotel and is adjacent to Aloft Arundel Starwood. The newlyweds came right on our heels. So after approximately one hour from the time we got on line, we had a room. Sort of an office. The king size bed was very comfortable and the pillows were great....I will never go back.

Room Tip: Don't go.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
AGM_aloft, Manager at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Aloft Arundel Mills. It has come to my attention that you had a few issues with the service while staying here at our property. First I want to apologize on behalf of the entire management team for the poor service you received. It is our goal to ensure that every guest receives excellence with caring from the moment they walk in the door until the time they leave and for not receiving such service we apologize.

In efforts to stay current and improve our product we have started renovating all the rooms and the floor you where on was just recently renovated , So we do apologize for the smell.
From your comments I gathered you did like the hotel , just had an issue with service , I wanted to ensure you that associate you delt with is no longer here and poor service to our guest is NOT something we tolerate or endorse.

I sincerely hope that you do not allow this one inceident by our hotel to serve as the ultimate reflection on us. We do not want to loose you as our customer and would be honored if you stayed with us again so we can restore your faith that we truly believe in delivering excellent service with a caring heart and a personal touch!

I hope that you’ll give us another try! Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Harry H Hawkins III

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed at Aloft Arundel Mills during a Trade Show in June. Value for money absolutely ok, staff was very friendly, like the quick breakfast concept, rooms are a bit noisy but that is part of the high end Motel concept. If you have a busy schedule around Baltimore area this Hotel is a good choice.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

It is our goal to ensure that every guest receives excellence with caring from the moment they walk in the door until the time they leave and I am overjoyed that we were succesful in provding such service during your stay , once again thank you for staying with us and look forward to serving you again !

Highland Park, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We visited the aloft on a last-minute weekend trip to the Baltimore area and it served its purpose. It was comfortable enough, but very basic. Rooms were a nice size with a nice television and decent bed. We traveled as two adults with an infant and were easily able to accommodate all of our baby gear, including a Pack 'N' Play.The rooms feature a refrigerator and microwave, but no table for dining so we ended up eating our take out on the bed. Also, our comforter was lumpy and it would have been nice to have more than one standard-size pillow per person. Everything was clean and the staff was friendly. The amenities in the lobby -- pool table, bar, televisions -- are a nice touch, but the little cafe that sells snacks is ridiculously overpriced. $2 for a CAN of coke! Though small,l the pool area was pleasant and clean even though the water was a tad cool for an indoor pool.

If we had stayed more than two nights, I might have found more to complain about. Also note that this hotel is an easy drive to and from downtown Baltimore, and we had no problem going back and forth. There's not a whole lot in the surrounding area as it is a suburb, but you'll find a lot of familiar chain stores and restaurants -- useful if you forget anything at home or have picky eaters with you. There's also a shopping mall with several outlet stores right across the highway.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
AGM_aloft, Manager at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Aloft Arundel Mills. On behalf of the entire Management team we want to thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you. It is our goal to ensure that every guest receives excellence with caring from the moment you walk in the door until the time you leave.

Your feedback is very valuable because it allows us to find out how we can continue to serve you better. I’m delighted that we met your expectations and can’t wait to see you again!!!

Live..Life..Aloft!!!!!

Harry H. Hawkins III
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This is the second time I've booked the property for an annual showcase. I was in search of a fun, funky atmosphere and this fit the bill perfectly. The staff was friendly, accommodating and easy to work with. Event attendees expressed they had a great time and look forward to the next event which I plan to hold at this property as well. I also booked a room for the night and couldn't have been happier. Despite there being a wedding party in the hotel, my room was quiet and I didn't have any problems at all. The proximity to Arundel Mills Mall and the new Casino is also a plus and draw for guests looking for a quick, easily accessible getaway.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
AGM_aloft, Manager at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Aloft Arundel Mills. It is our goal to ensure that every guest receives excellence with caring from the moment they walk in the door Your feedback is very valuable because it allows us to find out how we can continue to serve you ......

Hope To see you soon !!

Yours In service
Harry H. Hawkins III
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I had a 3 night stay for local business. The overall impression of the hotel is one that is in need of maintenance. The safe in my room did not work and was not repaired after a number of requests. The espresso maker was broken the entire visit and the complimentary coffee was empty each morning. The hallways have torn light fixtures, scuffed walls, and stained carpet. The staff is not friendly or accommodating in any way. When I checked in, I was sent to a room with someone in it. It was uncomfortable for both of us, yet not even a comment from the front desk on the situation. Maybe an apology would have been nice. All and all, I would stick to another hotel in the area. This is the only contemporary one, but not worth the trouble.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Aloft Arundel Mills. First I want to apologize on behalf of the entire Management team for the poor service you received. It is our goal to ensure that every guest receives excellence with caring from the moment they walk in the door until the time they leave and for not receiving such service we apologize.

Your feedback is very valuable because it allows us to find out where we are lacking in our responsibilities to you, our valued guests. I am glad that you enjoyed the staff and the other services we offer .

I do hope that you do not allow this incident by our hotel to serve as the

yours In Service

VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Stayed here on the night of 7/14. I'm a Starwood Platinum member an have stayed at numerous properties and this was bad. When we checked in the lobby was jam packed with seedy looking people - it looked like we were in some kind of club instead of a hotel. Everyone was in street clothes but apparently this was a wedding party.

The girl at the front desk was pleasant and assured us that we would be away from the noise in room 612. The first ting I noticed when we got to the 6th floor was that there were scuff marks all along the walls, I felt like I was in an office building. The room itself was very quiet but not attractive. Very spartan and I think on purpose, reminded me of a Sofitel in Paris. Nt to the bathroom and the toilet seat was covered with a bunch of pubic hair. Not talking about a few hairs, more like some guy shaved right in front of the toilet. That right there ruined it for me. The young male at the desk the next morning was very unprofessional and should not be working the front desk of any hotel. Not very rude but doesn't seem to understand the basic principles of basic grammar.

I'll never stay here again and would not advise my friends to stay here either. I might give this chain another shot in another city for a short stay.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
AGM_aloft, General Manager at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Hello to you! My name is Harry H. Hawkins and I am the Assitant General manager of the Aloft. First I want to apologize on behalf of the entire Management team for the cleanliness issues you encountered. It is our goal to ensure that every guest receives excellence with caring from the moment they walk in the door until the time they leave and for not receiving such service we apologize.

I do hope that you do not allow this inceident by our hotel to serve as the ultimate reflection on us. We do not want to loose you as our customer and would be honored if you stayed with us again so we can restore your faith that we truly believe in delivering excellent service with a caring heart and a personal touch!
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Today is Saturday July 14th - I am due to check in to Aloft arundel mills on Monday July 16th. I called Startwood to received the Credit Card authorization form so I can bill the room to my company credit card. After waiting for 2 two days I never received it, then I called the hotel once again on July 11, after four hours I received the Credit Card form. I filled it out, and sent in back to "Cecil". After 48 hours, I wanted to confirm that the hotel received it - so I called again. I called the hotel 4 times (Sat July 14 between 930a-10am EST) and no one answered. So I called Starwood reservations. I spoke to Casey, who called the hotel, (after 10mins on hold) I was told that they hotel did not received the form. Casey asked me to if I could Fax it. I responded, the issue is not one of Technology but one of people. "If they didn't get my form by email what is to ensure that they get it by fax??". She asked me then to send it again to Cecil (who has a Yahoo address, is that Starwood procedure - employees using personal email address to company business?? odd). I have sent it again to Cecil - and Casey advised I send it to Sales. Now I have been on hold for 29 mins. At 35 mins, Casey got back on the line and said they have received it - WOW! 30 mins, a yahoo personal address, aloft not picking up calls, and 35 minute call - just for a Credit Card Authorization form. When Casey got back on the line - no "I am sorry", no "please have great stay" - just "Cecil got the form" - If this is the way aloft arundel mills treats you BEFORE you check in, I can only imagine what this stay is going to be like. More updates to come.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Hello to you! My name is Harry H. Hawkins and I Assitant General Manager of the Aloft First I want to apologize on behalf of the entire Management team for the inconveinced wait time you encounter prior to check in trying to get a cc authroization form In efforts to be proactive and tech savvy we encourag our front desk staff to create "work "emails under a yahoo account in efforts to serve you and so many of our other guest that communicate soley by email. It is our goal to ensure that every guest receives excellence with caring and for not receiving such service we apologize.

Been to Aloft Arundel Mills? Share your experiences!