“Great hotel, lousy customer service” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Hanover
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great hotel, lousy customer service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

I love this hotel--unique decor, comfy beds, great lobby with a pool table, games, and a great courtyard for folks to hang out together. Will stay here again--but you have to put up with the staff attitude and lack of customer service. This staff attitude was best exemplified by the response my niece got when she asked about getting more coffee during breakfast and was told by a staff member: "Ask someone else--that's not my job."

I had booked about 10 rooms this past weekend and was told that I could check in early in 1 room--we had to get dressed for a wedding and had to leave the hotel by 3. Despite the reassurance when making the reservation and again when confirming the reservation--we were told when we arrived at the hotel that no rooms would be available until after 3. Now--practically we all know that some rooms are cleaned and ready very early and others not until much later--but the staff refused to budge from the party line that no rooms would be ready until after we had to leave for the wedding. Despite pleading with the hotel to let us at least check in so that we wouldn't have the hassle of checking in after the wedding--they refused. So--when we finally got back from the wedding at 11PM--no rooms were available in the category we had reserved --2 queen beds.. Eventually they got someone at the front desk who gave us some extra rooms free to compensate for the lack of extra beds--but this was a 20 minute process and we were exhausted. So--you can imagine all of us dragging our luggage up to our rooms after a 20 minute hassle at the front desk--and then having trouble getting off of the elevator because the police were hadcuffing someone right outside the elevator right on our floor. Can't blame that on the hotel--but it was just one of those situations that only occurs when you are exhausted and sleepy.

At breakfast I listened to several other groups who were complaining about similar customer service issues--so ours was not an isolated case.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
fmayes, General Manager at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, May 27, 2011
Thank you for choosing to stay with the Aloft Arundel Mills. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences with us. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during the check in process. Unfortunately an early arrival into any double room could not be accommodated that day because of our sold-out status from the night before. It is our desire to accommodate every request, but unfortunately some circumstances are beyond our control. I understand the stress of traveling, especially when attending a wedding. I do hope that you consider staying here again to give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the future.

Live, Life, Aloft!

Fletcher Mayes, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
DCA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

The room feels larger than it looks in the pictures. They've made great use of the available space by placing storage behind the bed near the sink, and hiding the ironing board in a cubby hole beside the bed. There's plenty of room to move around and a good amount of desk space to lay out items.

The frosted glass wall between the shower and the bed area was a nice touch. The bathroom "door" was a sliding wall that did not lock and had gaps all around. It's not exactly private, but the long wall between it and the bed area adds some privacy. The toiletries in the bathroom had a nice smell. It was hard to notice, but the top of the mirror had been damaged and was repaired with duct tape.

The location was a very short drive to Arundel Mills mall. The hotel itself is at the end of a road with a few others hotels. My room was on the top floor and I didn't have any noise issues other reviewers have commented on. Though I didn't make use of the amenities, I saw a lot of people enjoying the lobby at night and in the morning.

I was happy with the hotel and would stay here again or at another property.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
fmayes, General Manager at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Thank you for choosing to stay with the Aloft Arundel Mills. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review based on your experiences. We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel and hopefully, next time take advantage of some of the hotel’s amenities and all the fun things to do in the area.
Live, Life, Aloft!
Fletcher Mayes, General Manager
Hopewell Junction, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

The elegant looking building, funky lobby, cool elevator means nothing when all you get are two dead pillows per bed. Then compound that with an out-of-order sign on the lobby coffee machine and told no more breakfast after 10am?! It is impossible to imagine this a Starwood/Westin property. This is a nice place but absolutely no more than a glorified Super 8. The next night I slept at a Best Western in North Carolina (Sprinfield) and had 4 full sized pillows and 6 working freshly brewed coffee machines! Now that felt like a Starwood brand!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with Aloft Arundel Mills. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced because of the espresso machine was inoperable. Yes, the cappuccino machine is not working but the hotel does offer complimentary regular coffee, decaf coffee and tea until 11:00AM. The F&B talent member and me are working to get it repairs. I do appreciate you bringing this to our attention rest assured, it is being addressed. The aloft brand is different, in fact the sassy savvy décor is what separates us from those other brands. I do hope you give us another opportunity to earn your business and show you the true difference.

Live. Life. Aloft!

Fletcher Mayes
Hanover, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

I travel to Hanover MD. every two weeks and I started by staying at the Element hotel which is directly attached to the aLoft. At first the Element was kinda cool but recent stays at the Element have been less than pleasant so I wanted to try the aLoft since it looked trendy and thought I might have better luck at this hotel. I was wrong. The aLoft is trendy, I will give you that. I am staying in a double room and it does feel rather large, but looks can be deceiving. There are no closets in the aLoft rooms, only cubby holes for things. The bathroom is also trendy but thank goodness I am by myself. The shower and toilet have a sliding type of door thing that doesn't really close so there is about a 1 inch gap between the wall and the end of the door, can you say HELLO! Privacy apparently is not a top priority in the European hotels. I arrived to the hotel last night and when I checked in the front desk representative asked me if I wanted a wakeup call. I said sure, she then took my card and I was off to my room. When I got to the room I turned on the T.V. and tried to use the "Wonder Box” that allows me to view my computer on the hotel T.V. and it did not work properly. I called the front desk and a young man from maintenance came up. He could not fix the issue and called another guy at home. They couldn't get the box to work so I told the guys that they could come back tomorrow. I would be out of the room until 8 or 9pm the following day so if they could get it fixed by the time I got back that would be great. They assured me that wouldn't be a problem. This morning I did not get the promised wakeup call however I always set my cell phone alarm as a back up so I was lucky not be late. I got back to the hotel tonight at 9:30pm tried to fire up my computer using the “Wonder Box” and still not luck. Called the front desk for help, they promised to send someone up. I have been waiting here for about an hour and nobody has come up. Now this is just one stay and I agree that this is a small thing but add in the fact the hard-wired Internet doesn't work in the room and the phone handset doesn't work on either phone (had to use the base speaker phone to call the front desk) I have had enough. For what it’s worth, others that I travel with have had similar issues with these hotels, nothing major mind you but minor details that keep getting looked over during the stay that ends up in a less than pleasant experience. So all in all I am swearing off the Element and the aLoft and will most likely stay at one of the other hotels that are around here. There are plenty to choose from so I suggest that you look elsewhere.
To the management of these hotels, I think your hotels are really trendy and unique and personally feel like you could provide a real unique experience to travelers but the lack of attention to detail is causing you to lose business to frequent travelers. Don’t think that just because you have a “cool” hotel that it makes up for not paying attention to your customers needs. Anybody can have cool lighting and furniture but I will always stay at a place that values me as a paying customer even if they aren’t “cool”.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
fmayes, General Manager at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Thank you for choosing to stay with the Element and the Aloft Arundel Mills. We apologize for the inconveniences that you have experienced during your stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to review your experiences and share them with us. When you check into a hotel, we understand the basic things that a guest needs and wants, unfortunately during your stay, we fell short of those expectations. It is reviews from guests like you that open our eyes to what is happening in our hotels. I have personally looked into this and have spoken with the department supervisors regarding the issues that you had. Rest assured, these issues have been addressed and I’m confident that they will not be an issue with other guests in the future. As a frequent traveler to the area, I hope you give us another opportunity to earn your business. Feel free to contact me directly at 443-577-0077 and I would be more than happy to discuss some of your concerns in more detail and welcome you back.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

I found out about aLoft when we were in another city adn the hotel we stayed in was directly beside the aLoft....I told my BF then that the next time we stayed somewhere I wanted it be there. Luckily when I planned to go to Arundel Mills area I was very pleased to find out that they had this hotel there. I had originally planned to stay at the Hampton Inn but when I found this hotel was only $10 more I booked right away.

This hotel EXCEEDED what me and my boyfriend expected...we were on a mini getaway. The bed was very comfortable. The pillows were great. The decor was beautiful. I enjoyed the flat screen TV very much. I also enjoyed the very hot shower.

The ONLY complaint we had was the refridgerator didnt work in our room (728). Please fix that ASAP. But we will stay again!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Jersey City, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

OK, let me explain for some reason, my room didn’t get serviced for two days. This means garbage piled up, no clean towels. The hotels reasoning is the cleaning staff go’s home at 4:00 PM. Too make matters worse when I got back to my room after a long day of work, someone placed a “do not disturb sign on my door. It wasn’t me. Seems to me that the cleaning staff may have ran out of time and placed the sign on the door themselves. I informed the front desk (day 2) she said not a problem we will be up to clean the room in 20 minutes. It was around 3:00 PM. After returning from a business meeting I found the room not cleaned. I don’t expect much from a hotel, only a CLEAN room, Clean towels and the bed made when I return. That’s it…but ALOFT Arundel Mills this is not possible after 4:00 PM!!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Syracuse, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

My company put me up in the aloft Arundel Mills when my flight out of BWI was cancelled. When the shuttle dropped me off, I wasn't exactly sure what to think. The hotel facade had multicolored neon accent lighting, and the interior had cement floors and blaring music from the large bar area which was directly next to the lobby. The entire hotel had a hip, funky theme, including the pool area and the elevators. They even had a pool table in the lobby.

The room was nice enough. It was probably the only hotel I've ever been to that had copies of SPIN magazine, instead of the regular tourist brochures. It looked more like an uptown efficiency apartment than a hotel.

From what I can tell, they're aiming for the young, hip, party-going crowd. If that's what you're looking for, this is the place for you.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Been to Aloft Arundel Mills? Share your experiences!