“Luxury Budget Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Hanover
Hopewell Junction, New York
“Luxury Budget Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

The elegant looking building, funky lobby, cool elevator means nothing when all you get are two dead pillows per bed. Then compound that with an out-of-order sign on the lobby coffee machine and told no more breakfast after 10am?! It is impossible to imagine this a Starwood/Westin property. This is a nice place but absolutely no more than a glorified Super 8. The next night I slept at a Best Western in North Carolina (Sprinfield) and had 4 full sized pillows and 6 working freshly brewed coffee machines! Now that felt like a Starwood brand!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
fmayes, General Manager at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, May 27, 2011
Thank you for staying with Aloft Arundel Mills. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced because of the espresso machine was inoperable. Yes, the cappuccino machine is not working but the hotel does offer complimentary regular coffee, decaf coffee and tea until 11:00AM. The F&B talent member and me are working to get it repairs. I do appreciate you bringing this to our attention rest assured, it is being addressed. The aloft brand is different, in fact the sassy savvy décor is what separates us from those other brands. I do hope you give us another opportunity to earn your business and show you the true difference.

Live. Life. Aloft!

Fletcher Mayes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Hanover, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

I travel to Hanover MD. every two weeks and I started by staying at the Element hotel which is directly attached to the aLoft. At first the Element was kinda cool but recent stays at the Element have been less than pleasant so I wanted to try the aLoft since it looked trendy and thought I might have better luck at this hotel. I was wrong. The aLoft is trendy, I will give you that. I am staying in a double room and it does feel rather large, but looks can be deceiving. There are no closets in the aLoft rooms, only cubby holes for things. The bathroom is also trendy but thank goodness I am by myself. The shower and toilet have a sliding type of door thing that doesn't really close so there is about a 1 inch gap between the wall and the end of the door, can you say HELLO! Privacy apparently is not a top priority in the European hotels. I arrived to the hotel last night and when I checked in the front desk representative asked me if I wanted a wakeup call. I said sure, she then took my card and I was off to my room. When I got to the room I turned on the T.V. and tried to use the "Wonder Box” that allows me to view my computer on the hotel T.V. and it did not work properly. I called the front desk and a young man from maintenance came up. He could not fix the issue and called another guy at home. They couldn't get the box to work so I told the guys that they could come back tomorrow. I would be out of the room until 8 or 9pm the following day so if they could get it fixed by the time I got back that would be great. They assured me that wouldn't be a problem. This morning I did not get the promised wakeup call however I always set my cell phone alarm as a back up so I was lucky not be late. I got back to the hotel tonight at 9:30pm tried to fire up my computer using the “Wonder Box” and still not luck. Called the front desk for help, they promised to send someone up. I have been waiting here for about an hour and nobody has come up. Now this is just one stay and I agree that this is a small thing but add in the fact the hard-wired Internet doesn't work in the room and the phone handset doesn't work on either phone (had to use the base speaker phone to call the front desk) I have had enough. For what it’s worth, others that I travel with have had similar issues with these hotels, nothing major mind you but minor details that keep getting looked over during the stay that ends up in a less than pleasant experience. So all in all I am swearing off the Element and the aLoft and will most likely stay at one of the other hotels that are around here. There are plenty to choose from so I suggest that you look elsewhere.
To the management of these hotels, I think your hotels are really trendy and unique and personally feel like you could provide a real unique experience to travelers but the lack of attention to detail is causing you to lose business to frequent travelers. Don’t think that just because you have a “cool” hotel that it makes up for not paying attention to your customers needs. Anybody can have cool lighting and furniture but I will always stay at a place that values me as a paying customer even if they aren’t “cool”.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
fmayes, General Manager at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Thank you for choosing to stay with the Element and the Aloft Arundel Mills. We apologize for the inconveniences that you have experienced during your stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to review your experiences and share them with us. When you check into a hotel, we understand the basic things that a guest needs and wants, unfortunately during your stay, we fell short of those expectations. It is reviews from guests like you that open our eyes to what is happening in our hotels. I have personally looked into this and have spoken with the department supervisors regarding the issues that you had. Rest assured, these issues have been addressed and I’m confident that they will not be an issue with other guests in the future. As a frequent traveler to the area, I hope you give us another opportunity to earn your business. Feel free to contact me directly at 443-577-0077 and I would be more than happy to discuss some of your concerns in more detail and welcome you back.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

I found out about aLoft when we were in another city adn the hotel we stayed in was directly beside the aLoft....I told my BF then that the next time we stayed somewhere I wanted it be there. Luckily when I planned to go to Arundel Mills area I was very pleased to find out that they had this hotel there. I had originally planned to stay at the Hampton Inn but when I found this hotel was only $10 more I booked right away.

This hotel EXCEEDED what me and my boyfriend expected...we were on a mini getaway. The bed was very comfortable. The pillows were great. The decor was beautiful. I enjoyed the flat screen TV very much. I also enjoyed the very hot shower.

The ONLY complaint we had was the refridgerator didnt work in our room (728). Please fix that ASAP. But we will stay again!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Jersey City, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

OK, let me explain for some reason, my room didn’t get serviced for two days. This means garbage piled up, no clean towels. The hotels reasoning is the cleaning staff go’s home at 4:00 PM. Too make matters worse when I got back to my room after a long day of work, someone placed a “do not disturb sign on my door. It wasn’t me. Seems to me that the cleaning staff may have ran out of time and placed the sign on the door themselves. I informed the front desk (day 2) she said not a problem we will be up to clean the room in 20 minutes. It was around 3:00 PM. After returning from a business meeting I found the room not cleaned. I don’t expect much from a hotel, only a CLEAN room, Clean towels and the bed made when I return. That’s it…but ALOFT Arundel Mills this is not possible after 4:00 PM!!!!

Syracuse, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

My company put me up in the aloft Arundel Mills when my flight out of BWI was cancelled. When the shuttle dropped me off, I wasn't exactly sure what to think. The hotel facade had multicolored neon accent lighting, and the interior had cement floors and blaring music from the large bar area which was directly next to the lobby. The entire hotel had a hip, funky theme, including the pool area and the elevators. They even had a pool table in the lobby.

The room was nice enough. It was probably the only hotel I've ever been to that had copies of SPIN magazine, instead of the regular tourist brochures. It looked more like an uptown efficiency apartment than a hotel.

From what I can tell, they're aiming for the young, hip, party-going crowd. If that's what you're looking for, this is the place for you.

Friendswood, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

I stayed two nights at the Aloft. Upon entering, I was met with loud, clubby music, cement floors and a kiosk-like front desk. The front desk people were nice, but gave me a receipt printed on a photo-copy of their letterhead. Front desk staff also didn't seem to be trained well on making copies and printing receipts. I know good help is hard to find, but really?

Noise: This particular hotel is located on a very busy interchange. I stayed on the 6th floor, but the noise made me think I was on the ground floor next to the freeway. I didn't sleep either night.

Food: The hotel charges by the piece for their "breakfast", but in all fairness, I received a $10 coupon for breakfast both days. Some reservations include "breakfast". Also very spartan selection, but it did the job. Coffee, juice, breakfast sandwiches, cereal, milk and a waffle maker. I did spot some fresh fruit, which was nice.

Room: Rooms are sparse with clean lines; don't go there thinking you'll be in the lap of luxury. The concept is "spartan loft", and by gosh they stick to it like glue. Unfortunately, it comes across as cheap and not well made. The first morning I used my ONE coffee pod to make coffee, and then couldn't find a stir stick to save my life. The next morning, I realized that the staff did not include stir sticks on their checklist of items, so I ended up stirring my coffee with my finger.

Fitness center and pool were both very nice.

Westin needs to re-think this concept. I was not impressed and won't return.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
dstrayer, General Manager at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, March 17, 2011
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Aloft and we appreciate you taking time to write the review. We apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. I will discuss with the various departments your concerns and we will make sure that these items are taken care of. Unfortunately, Westin is another hotel in the brand that all falls under Starwood. We hope that you will reconsider staying with an Aloft Hotel and hope that you enjoy some of the other brands of Starwood such as Element, Sheraton and Westin.
Bowie, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

If you have been to a Hard rock hotel you will understand this hotel. They play dance/party music throughout the hotel its little touches are cool. The elevators have a gel floor that moves around when you step on it. A bar area that is open at night and every night there were lots of mingling and socializing. It's a cool hotel. Negatives.. for a woman the hotel has dim lighting in the bathroom, not good for makeup application. Our room only had a walk in shower which was nice, except i like a tub. Don't go with someone you aren't comfortable with because the open design isn't set up for bathroom privacy. There is only a sliding glass door. I also thought the bed was a tad too firm. But over all beautiful modern design and good value.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay with the Aloft Arundel Mills. We appreciate you taking time to write a review based on your experience with us. Our rooms are modern and we are glad to hear that you find it of good value. We look forward to welcoming you back again when your schedule has you in the Hanover area again.

Been to Aloft Arundel Mills? Share your experiences!