“More like a club with a hotel attached” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Hanover
Syracuse, New York
“More like a club with a hotel attached”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

My company put me up in the aloft Arundel Mills when my flight out of BWI was cancelled. When the shuttle dropped me off, I wasn't exactly sure what to think. The hotel facade had multicolored neon accent lighting, and the interior had cement floors and blaring music from the large bar area which was directly next to the lobby. The entire hotel had a hip, funky theme, including the pool area and the elevators. They even had a pool table in the lobby.

The room was nice enough. It was probably the only hotel I've ever been to that had copies of SPIN magazine, instead of the regular tourist brochures. It looked more like an uptown efficiency apartment than a hotel.

From what I can tell, they're aiming for the young, hip, party-going crowd. If that's what you're looking for, this is the place for you.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Friendswood, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

I stayed two nights at the Aloft. Upon entering, I was met with loud, clubby music, cement floors and a kiosk-like front desk. The front desk people were nice, but gave me a receipt printed on a photo-copy of their letterhead. Front desk staff also didn't seem to be trained well on making copies and printing receipts. I know good help is hard to find, but really?

Noise: This particular hotel is located on a very busy interchange. I stayed on the 6th floor, but the noise made me think I was on the ground floor next to the freeway. I didn't sleep either night.

Food: The hotel charges by the piece for their "breakfast", but in all fairness, I received a $10 coupon for breakfast both days. Some reservations include "breakfast". Also very spartan selection, but it did the job. Coffee, juice, breakfast sandwiches, cereal, milk and a waffle maker. I did spot some fresh fruit, which was nice.

Room: Rooms are sparse with clean lines; don't go there thinking you'll be in the lap of luxury. The concept is "spartan loft", and by gosh they stick to it like glue. Unfortunately, it comes across as cheap and not well made. The first morning I used my ONE coffee pod to make coffee, and then couldn't find a stir stick to save my life. The next morning, I realized that the staff did not include stir sticks on their checklist of items, so I ended up stirring my coffee with my finger.

Fitness center and pool were both very nice.

Westin needs to re-think this concept. I was not impressed and won't return.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
dstrayer, General Manager at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, March 17, 2011
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Aloft and we appreciate you taking time to write the review. We apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. I will discuss with the various departments your concerns and we will make sure that these items are taken care of. Unfortunately, Westin is another hotel in the brand that all falls under Starwood. We hope that you will reconsider staying with an Aloft Hotel and hope that you enjoy some of the other brands of Starwood such as Element, Sheraton and Westin.
Bowie, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

If you have been to a Hard rock hotel you will understand this hotel. They play dance/party music throughout the hotel its little touches are cool. The elevators have a gel floor that moves around when you step on it. A bar area that is open at night and every night there were lots of mingling and socializing. It's a cool hotel. Negatives.. for a woman the hotel has dim lighting in the bathroom, not good for makeup application. Our room only had a walk in shower which was nice, except i like a tub. Don't go with someone you aren't comfortable with because the open design isn't set up for bathroom privacy. There is only a sliding glass door. I also thought the bed was a tad too firm. But over all beautiful modern design and good value.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay with the Aloft Arundel Mills. We appreciate you taking time to write a review based on your experience with us. Our rooms are modern and we are glad to hear that you find it of good value. We look forward to welcoming you back again when your schedule has you in the Hanover area again.
Philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

I admit it, when I was looking for a Baltimore-area hotel, I found the aloft compelling for it's "attitude" and style. We're in our early 30s and this was a quick one-night trip, and the aloft's youngish atmosphere seemed appealing. I was excited by the media centers in the rooms that would let me play my iPod through the TV and "leave my chargers at home." Luckily, I didn't do that, because it didn't work. The sign in the room said the front desk would provide the cables, but when asked they just said "we don't do that."

The room itself was modern and fun - too fun. The sliding door that divided the toilet and shower from the sink area didn't actually close all the way, leaving a little window to whomever was on the john. No thanks. The sleek black-painted walls were dinged up and chipped, and the dance music in the elevator was a bit too much for me at 5 am.

The two-queen room was cramped, and the only seating was one desk chair, save for an awkwardly placed bench under the TV. This left two of us eating on the bed, which I found less than ideal.

The indoor pool had been a big selling point, but it's limited hours meant I never got to use it. I tried at 9pm on a Saturday, but it was full of children - because they don't tell you they share the pool with the more family-oriented hotel next door. The next morning it didn't open until 10 am, leaving little time before checkout.

The only other complaint I had was finding toiletries from the previous guest in the room upon arrival - sure, hidden behind the complimentary copies of Spin magazine, but still dismaying.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
dstrayer, General Manager at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am so sorry to hear that we didn’t meet your expectations of the hotel. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. Rest assured that I have followed up with the appropriate managers and departments and that corrective action will be taken immediately. Your business and patronage is very important to us. We count on your continued goodwill to keep us in business. We take pride in delivering exceptional guest service. I am disappointed to learn that we fell short in this case. I hope that your negative experience will not sour you on our hotel, and that you will consider us for your future stays when next you visit the area.
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

I have stayed at this Aloft as well as the Aloft right next to the airport in Linthicum. Both of these properties met and exceeded my expectations of comfort, value and cleanliness. I travel to Baltimore every 2-3 weeks for work, so it's nice to find a clean property that is convenient, close to everything I need and close to a place to grab some food and some entertainment. The rooms are smaller, but how much do you need for a few days? The value was fantastic, approx 100/night or a little less. Big windows, large HDTV on the wall, comfy beds, modern decor. I even enjoy the bar in the lobby. Didn't necessarily like my windows opening up directly on the Element hotel, but that's only a small problem. Very much like this hotel. Lastly, the fitness center was actually really good, not just for a hotel, but the equipment was new and top of the line.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
dstrayer, General Manager at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, February 18, 2011
Thank you for choosing to stay with the Aloft Arundel Mills. We appreciate you writing a review about your recent experience and stay with us. As you know, we are very convenient to many things with a complimentary shuttle that takes you within a five mile radius of the hotel including BWI Airport and Arundel Mills Mall. I am glad to hear that you have utilized and enjoyed the w xyz bar and lounge along with re:charge (fitness center) for some exercise and appreciate the condition that they are in. May we suggest that when you are making your reservation and checking in, you might want to request an exterior room so that your view is not of our backyard and the Element Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back when your business travel brings you back to the Hanover area!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

We were 'assigned' this hotel through a HotWire deal and got a GREAT price for our stay. This was the first time we have stayed in an Aloft hotel, and my finance and I were impressed! Their style is like no other, which is what we liked the most! Very modern!

They had a lobby with a cute bar, pool table and lounge spots, an indoor pool and gym and a cute breakfast/lunch area for eating. I have seen complaints on here about them having no food, but at our stay they offered made to order omelets, breakfast sandwiches, waffles, muffins, fruits, cereals and much more for breakfast and they only charge for the hot food, all cold food (yogurts, muffins, fruits, etc.) were free! The also had wraps and sandwiches listed for lunchtime.

We had a king room. It was very spacious and clean. We definitely appreciated the style that is NOTHING like all of the other hotels out there. The only thing I could complain about is that we could hear the people in the room next door -- AND their music :oP.

The hotel is right across from one of the biggest shopping centers I have probably ever seen (Arundel Mills). We had dinner at Medieval Times, which was right in the plaza, and it was great!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
dstrayer, General Manager at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, February 15, 2011
Thank you and we appreciate you writing a review about our property. We are glad to hear that you and your fiancé found the hotel to meet and exceed your expectations! We apologize for the inconvenience of the music and people in the room next to you. Now that you have experienced everything that Aloft has to offer, we hope that you come back to us on your own! We look forward to welcoming you back when you are in the area again!
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

After I had booked my stay at ALOFT (a great price for the night I needed the room), I read many poor reviews of the hotel and needless to say I was a little wary of my stay and wasn't sure what to expect. Upon arriving, I was greated by Monica who was pleasant and helpful. There was one little problem with my booking, but Monica was apologetic and helped me solve the issue. The hotel has a great modern and chic atmosphere. It is clean and well kept. I stayed in a king sized room and I must say the decor was a wonderful change from the drab places I normally stay. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the bathroom was clean (the two biggest things I look for when staying at a hotel). The drinks at the bar were comparable to the other places in the area and the bartender was friendly. Playing pool and hanging out in the lounge was a great way to wind down. The following day, check out was simple and the front desk staff member (Vera) was chatty, friendly and helpful. The breakfast area was clean and the food was decent (better than you can expect). My colleague had a made-to-order omelet and said it was well made and the staff member working in the kitchen was friendly and helpful! Overall, I have nothing to complain about. You get a lot for the price you pay and I plan on using ALOFT for future stays. Thank you!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
dstrayer, General Manager at Aloft Arundel Mills, responded to this review, January 24, 2011
Thank you and we appreciate your honesty about your pre-arrival thoughts and you sharing your experience with us. I am glad to hear that you had a great stay with us and were pleasantly surprised and enjoyed your experience with Aloft Hotels! Thank for the great feedback of our housekeeping, front desk associates and our food and beverage service as well. We look forward to welcoming you back to Aloft when you are in the area!

Been to Aloft Arundel Mills? Share your experiences!