“Extremely clean & comfortable” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Hanover
NY
“Extremely clean & comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

This has to be one of the top 2 hotels for cleanliness & comfort I have ever stayed at. Check in is fast and pleasant with clerks who are willing to offer assistance with the area. The exterior of this property is well manicured & kept clean. Our room was a decent size, not huge but well thought out to maximize the space. In the room was a small kitchen stocked with dishes, utensils, a few pots and pans, glasses, coffee maker & coffee. The bed was very comfortable with crisp clean linens. The bathroom was very very clean and the towels were soft & large. I am happy to say that this room had not one thing I could complain about. Everything was clean even behind furniture which I had to move a piece, because my phone charger fell behind. Breakfast was complimentary with our "Stay park & fly package" Breakfast offerings were freshly made waffles (by you) scrambled eggs, biscuits & gravy, bagels, muffins, toast, juice & coffee. Marriott never lets us down and this was a great choice for us. I will highly recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: We were in room 216, I am a light sleeper but never was woken by planes from the nearby BWI
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Doug354, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Solaris1,

We wanted to take a moment to thank you for your recent visit. We are glad you were able to find value in the park and fly package that we offer. We love to hear positive feedback and will share your comments with our team. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I stayed here with my family for four nights on vacation. The hotel was as expected and the location was convenient to the mall and casino. My only complaint was that housekeeping started cleaning too early. At 8:00 in the morning housekeeping was already tapping their entry cards on my door to get in. This even occurred on the day I was checking out, a day in which I feel they should have been able to wait until after I actually checked out. One day I did end up putting a do not disturb sign so I could sleep in until a more reasonable 8:30, but my sleep was still disturbed since I could hear them tap tapping and yelling "housekeeping!" in nearby rooms. Most hotels I have stayed at usually don't make their rounds until 10:00 or so.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Doug354, Manager at TownePlace Suites Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience about your stay at our hotel. You indicated in your response that the housekeeping department starting cleaning too early and this disrupted your rest. During the week the housekeeping department starts cleaning rooms after 9:30 am and on the weekend they start after 10 am.

I certainly understand wanting to sleep in a little later while on vacation and I apologize that you were unable to do this. I have addressed your concerns with the housekeeping team and they apologize for disturbing you. We value you as a customer and we hope to see you again.

Regards,
Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

This hotel was in a very good location - quick walking distance to the shops, restaurants, and entertainment at Arundel Mills & Casino. That was excellent. Apparently the shuttle will take you there as well.

The room was pretty good. Full kitchen amenities in each room. Generally clean, but in my friend's room there appeared to be a lot of food splatter (hope it was good!) on the living room wall.

Gym was nice. A bit crowded, but good machines in working order that looked relatively new.

Breakfast was good. I didn't try it, but they had various food available in the evenings as well.

Most staff was very friendly. I wasn't pleased with the check-in experience (although it wasn't a huge deal - just not the best customer service). I was staying with a group (multiple rooms). The two people ahead of me were checked in right away (and upgraded) but I was told my room would be a 1/2 hour wait. That would've been fine if the person who came in after me (with the same room type) wasn't automatically given a room. Speaking to family in the hotel business, the proper thing to do would have been to check me in to a room of my type that was available rather than waiting for a specific room # when some were ready.

Overall, pretty good stay. I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: For some reason the fourth floor smelled really bad! Hopefully that's fixed.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Doug354, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
311Kim,

We are glad you took the time to let us know how we are doing. We appreciate the positive comments on your recent visit. We do typically assign rooms based on requests and I will share your thoughts with the staff. We look forward to having you visit again soon.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I absolutely loved staying at this hotel. It is close to EVERYTHING! most within walking distance. They even have a shuttle that can take you wherever in the vicinity. You can walk to the casino, Arundel Mills Mall, movie theater, lots of food options of most chains. The staff were easy and pleasant to deal with. The rooms were spacious suite style, so you can do your cooking. I had a conventional oven which was awesome although I didn't get to use it. They have a happy hour reception during the week. The breakfast was hot & cold items. They have a pool! Free parking. Next time I am in the area I will consider staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Doug354, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a great review. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and the Arundel Mills area. Thanks for choosing the TownePlace Suites, please visit us again when returning to the area.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is well situated, the staff is friendly and overall this is a great home away from home. I was there with my husband and 4 month old. There are parks and running trails within driving distance and the shopping mall is a 3 minute walk. There are many great restaurants nearby and the hotel food is pretty good too. The gym is quite small though..and missing the 10lb weights.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Doug354, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear Veronique L,

Thank you the staying with us at TownePlace Suites, we are gald that you and your family enjoyed the hotel and had time to see some of the surrounding area. Thanks for letting us know about the missing weights so we can get them replaced. Hope to see you next that you are in the area.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

I really love this hotel , we stayed with my husband one night for a convention , the place was clean , a little slow when you check in but was ok!! Very nice room, we sleep like we were home!!! The breakfast was pretty decent, i think management should include more things on the buffet like fresh eggs, and of course bacon . Really good the pancakes with bluberry , one of the receptionist were very polite with us ! The check out was quick!!!

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Punaiea,

Thank you for your kind words we are happy that you enjoyed your stay. Just to let you and other know we do offer eggs and bacon on a rotation. We try to serve something different everyday, thanks for the comment it is helpful and sorry you missed out on the bacon and eggs.
Please visit again when your in the area.
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

My friend and I decided to get away for a weekend, relax and ease some stress in our lives, so we split the bill for the room.

Photo's are provided for each room.

Check-in: Check-in was OK, it didn't take very long, but the elderly woman at the desk wasn't very nice, acted as if we were bothering her, but as time passed throughout the visit she got nicer. You MUST sign a form that states that you will not host a party in the hotel, I'm totally OK with this.

The room, first day: The room was very clean, and the only thing dirty was the pull-out sofa bed, it was covered in crumbs and black specks. The bathroom and bathtub were very clean, not a dot of dirt or anything gross anywhere to be seen. The room was a tad small, in the pictures it looked a lot bigger but it was fine, we didn't need that much room. The TV is in a awkward place, if you're laying on the bed you have to look to the side to see the screen. There was a problem with the TV, when you turned it on there was no video, only sound. The maintenance guy came and replaced something on the TV and it worked, kinda. This happens every time now. To fix it you must turn it on, turn it off, then back on again. You can control the temp in the room, we kept it cold and it worked fine. The window's only opened about 2 inches, 3 tops, but it's enough air. The light's in the room are very bright, the desk lamp is lighting up the whole room. There are electrical socket's everywhere, even right next to each side of the bed. One of my favorite things about this room is the desk, it's VERY spacious and has lot's of room for anything you need on it, as well as a light on the desktop and attached to the desk above the desktop, perfect for reading or using a laptop.

Each room in detail:
Kitchen: Very clean, only a little dust in places no one normally touches. It includes a refrigerator with a freezer, counter-top stove, microwave, dishwasher, sink, garbage disposal, and lots of cabinets. Inside the cabinets are only 4 small glasses to drink out of, and they were covered in dust. It also contained a set of 4 plastic bowls ranging from bigger to smaller, as well as small plates. The drawer under the stove contained some silverware, and under the sink there was a roll of paper towels. There was a tiny trashcan on the floor that barely fit any trash.

Bedroom/living room: Smaller than we expected, it included the bed, a huge desk, air conditioner unit under the window, a small sofa that has a fold out bed, 2 phones, and a Iphone dock radio speaker that showed the wrong time and can't be set to be correct, and the HDTV. It had a total of 5 lamps in the bedroom/living room area, 1 on each side of the bed (a outlet under each), one next to the couch, one on the desktop (again, outlet attached), and a hanging one attached to the top of the desktop. The TV was broken, still is after the maintenance man came and tried to fix it. The desk is huge, plenty of space for work to be done, there is even a extra desk under it that you pull out for even more space. There is a wooden piece on top of the foot rest near the sofa, if you take it off, you can use it to eat dinner or get work done on. This room also included a trash can, but this one was even smaller for recycle only. There is a lot of info in the flip on the desktop, including things near the hotel, numbers to call, and other useful info. Do not trust the channel listings, they are all wrong.

Bathroom: First time we walked in it smelled like fish, but it passed quickly. It was very clean, not a speck of anything gross anywhere to be seen. It included everything you normally would get in a bathroom, the sink, toilet, tub with shower head. WATCH OUT, the tub is very tall, the step in and out of the tub is a bit hard to reach for some. The tub was so high that me, not being very tall, the shower head was at my neck level. The towels are not replaced, they have a paper saying to re-use the towels, I do that at home so I didn't mind. The drain had a twist-on plug, it's hard to unplug it after use.

Lobby/Breakfast Area: Clean enough, not enough tables for everyone, very loud in the morning. On weekends, you must get there by 10am or you can't get breakfast, little strange because if you are on a mini vacation, you would want to sleep in till about 10am and eat around 10:30am, in my opinion at least. You just come down and pick your food, you don't need your room key to show to anyone or get any vouchers, just grab it and eat. Breakfast included coffee, donuts, bread, beagles, orange juice or fruit cocktail, cereal, "make your own" waffles, yogurt, fruit, and a few other things I can't exactly remember. There were no silverware, only plastic spoons forks and knives, and foam plates and bowls. There were 2 microwaves and a toaster.

Please keep in mind if you're looking for a very quiet place to sleep, ask for a room facing the mall, the other way is pointed at the highway and it get's very loud with bikers at night. Also, whenever a hotel room door closes that's not ours, it slams so loud it sounds like it's your door, you can't even close your own door without making a loud sound.

The Staff: The woman who checked us in (older woman) was kind of in a bad mood, like she didn't want us there. The maintenance man who fixed the TV was nice enough. When my friend went downstairs to get detergent because there wasn't any in the room (around 9pm) the lobby was packed but he was handed 2 packets of detergent and a bottle of liquor, saying "Here, have this, sorry for the wait". When he returned with booze I was confused, but I didn't complain. When we figured out that you go to the lobby to get a shuttle to take us places, every time we asked the receptionist they were nice about it.

The Shuttle Bus Drivers: Horrible. Only the first one we met was nice, actually was very kind and talkative, everyone else was in a bad mood or didn't want us to be there. One driver in particular was very rude both times we were picked up, he tried to run a red light but failed and made a sudden stop, causing my friend to fall forward but not getting injured. The second ride we had with this guy he had serious road rage, cursing at drivers because they wouldn't move up so he can pass the line of cars going out of the mall, almost rammed a car. That driver was the only driver we met that only had a 5$ bill on the dash, I'm guessing tips, and everyone else had a ton of cash on their dash. I normally tolerate employee's who don't care you're there but this guy almost killed us.

The Shuttle Bus will take you within 5 miles of the hotel, including the Mall, Walmart, Costco, and other dinner locations nearby. Keep in mind they may take up to 30 mins to come get you, sometimes you're better off walking to the mall in the beautiful weather.

The pool and hot tub outside were not available, and wont be opened till Memorial Day, pity.

All in all, this would be a hotel you would plan a long visit in.

The good in a nutshell:
-Room was very clean (except sofa bed)
-Check-in was fast
-Shuttle takes you wherever you want
-Room temp controls
-Convenient utilities in the room like hotplate, microwave, dishwasher, and garbage disposal
-Huge desk to get work done on
-Location, right next to the mall
-Does have a "home" feel to it

The bad in a nutshell:
-Bathroom smelled nasty when we came in the first time, but it went away
-Not so nice receptionist
-Insane shuttle driver
-TV is broken
-Dish Washer kept running all night
-Loud sounds from the highway right outside as well as the loud slams of doors at night
-Only 4 very small glasses to drink from, bring your own plastic disposable cups if you want more
-Expensive "snacks" in the lobby
-The "Do not disturb" sign is a magnet that does not stay on the door very well

Suggestions for the manager:
-Make the shuttle come at certain times, I felt bad calling and keep making them come pick me up.
-Provide bigger trash cans, no way more than 4 bottles of soda could fit in the recycle bin.
-Anyone could just walk in and steal breakfast food, have one employee check for room keys or breakfast vouchers so no one just walks in from the mall for free breakfast without paying.
-Have anonymous driver tests, to see how your shuttle drivers are dealing with costumers.
-Fix the channel listings, they are all wrong.
-Fix the doors so they don't slam no matter how much you try to shut them slowly.
-Provide more info on checking into the hotel, we ended up walking all the way to the Walmart and back before realizing we could have gotten a ride.

I actually wrote a note for the next guests of the room we stayed in, it includes tips on the room and how to fix the TV.

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing the mall, otherwise you might be woken up a few times at night because of...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Doug354, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete our survey regarding your positive and negative experiences with the TownePlace Suites Arundel Mills BWI Airport. I appreciate the detailed information you provided.

Please accept our sincere apologies for negative services you experienced. I have addressed your feedback with my entire team and we are making adjustments to the items you suggested for the manager. Similarly, prior to getting our liquor license in May 2013, complimentary beer was provided to our guests during our weekly evening social. Since getting our liquor license we adhere to the Liquor Board regulations and no longer provide complimentary alcoholic beverages. All alcoholic beverages are purchased by our guests of legal drinking age or we or we would lose our license.

I appreciate you giving up an opportunity and everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future. If I may be of assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Doug Bither

Been to TownePlace Suites Arundel Mills BWI Airport? Share your experiences!