“Smoky Rooms; Unhelpful Front Desk” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Hagerstown
Arlington, Virginia
“Smoky Rooms; Unhelpful Front Desk”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I reserved and paid for a room in advance. The hotel is supposed to be completely non-smoking (they have numerous ads in the hotel and on the room key holder touting the clean air). The first room I was shown smelled of cig. smoke. The second room I was shown smelled even more strongly of cig. smoke. I told the front desk person that the rooms were unacceptable because they smelled of smoke and because of my asthma I could not stay in either room. I was told that no other rooms were available. I asked to speak to the manager. The front desk person told me that "no managers were available because they were both out of town." I then asked the front desk person to find me an alternative hotel given that they were unable to provide me with my promised and paid for smoke-free room. Essentially, I was told "Find your own hotel room." The attitude of the front desk person was "too bad, nothing I can do for you" and a direct quote from him was "If you don't take the room, I can easily fill the room for over $100." Then when I asked for the front desk person's name for reference he gave me his first name. When I asked him for his last name, his response was "I won't give it to you, you know with things like Facebook and privacy and contacting me."

Altogether horrible experience, smelly rooms, cavalier and flippant front desk person.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
comfortsuiteshagerst, Webmaster at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Comfort Suites in Hagerstown, MD during your recent visit to our area.

Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

• Maintenance was informed of the odor of cigarette smoke you reported smelling in the non-smoking area and instructed to see what could be done to eliminate it.

• Front desk staff received additional training in the courteous, helpful manner in which they are to treat our valued guests.

I hope that the next time you are in our area you will once again choose to stay at the Comfort Suites in Hagerstown, MD. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Pompano Beach Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed at the Comfort Suites in Hagerstown, MD one night while traveling for work.

After waiting in line for 20 minutes to check in, I went to a room that was very small. It was much smaller than a regular hotel room. I thought since it was "Comfort Suites" that all rooms would be suites. The room had a fold out sofa.. but it was so tight in its space, that no one could sit on the sofa, much less pull it out to sleep on. The room was located behind the ice & soda machine. The soda machine did not work & people kept dropping the money in & not getting soda. When the soda didnt come out, they would start to beat the machine.. This was right outside the door of my room (inches away, not feet)

The internet did not work at all. When I called the front desk the agent told me that the internet in the lobby was working fine. but she could not test or check the connection in my room.

The breakfast area was not clean. I didn't eat anything.

By the way, I am a Diamond Elite member of this chains club & travel very often.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

• Maintenance was informed of your report of Not working soda machine and Internet and instructed to look into the matter and see to any necessary replacement or repair.

• Breakfast staff received additional training in cleaning the breakfast area.

Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

My family and I enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It was a nice building with a pleasant staff and a cozy lobby and breakfast area. The room was a "suite" which meant it had two beds plus a sleeper sofa. The room was clean and spacious. My only minor complaint is that it looked like the sofa bed (which I used) wasn't kept as clean as the two beds. Not that it was dirty by any means, but I felt like the sofa bed didn't get as much attention as the other beds.

On a plus side, the breakfast was a very nice hotel breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Webster, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We booked 2 rooms on Sept 6-7, 2012 for an overnight stay and what a great place to stay! My granddaughter was looking forward to swimming after a long car drive and was pleasantly surprised to discover how warm the indoor pool water was.
The front desk person, Ryan was extremely welcoming & knowledgeable about the area. We received a 10% discount for dinner after asking him how the Texas Roadhouse food was. He made an excellent first impression after a long day on the road.
The hotel was extremely well appointed with an impressive lobby, very clean rooms and large bathrooms with very fluffy towels. The love seat or armchair in our rooms was a pleasant surprise.
Breakfast was much better than your an average hotel breakfast and we will definitely stay here again. This is a great value for the price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Fishers, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Stayed here last year and thought it deserved a return visit. Just as nice this time around .... CLEAN, ample parking, FRIENDLY staff, large rooms ..... probably the nicest Comfort properties I've ever stayed in, absolutely no complaints or issues.

Easy on / off to the Interstate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We were forced to change hotels because the hotel we originally made reservations with had been sold and closed. We reviewed what others had said about Comfort Suites and made our reservations.

We found the rooms to be clean, spacious and generally comfortable. Nice water pressure and plenty of hot water. Nice breakfast. Nice but small indoor pool. Quiet rooms. The bed was very comfortable. TV was a nice large flat screen. Staff was always friendly. The only issue we had is the room safe would not work.

Not a destination but a nice clean place to stay when your in Hagerstown, MD.

Room Tip: Third floor was nice and quiet. Even number suits are somewhat larger than the odd numbered units.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
WILLISTON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

This hotel room was nice and clean but we got in at 9pm and the air was completely shut off in the room.Took forever to cool down so we could go to sleep.
The hot breakfast bar was a joke. The scrambled eggs come in a bag and are heated in the microwave right in front of the hotel gusts. They were small crumbs.You couldn't make a sandwich with them because of their texture.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
comfortsuiteshagerst, Webmaster at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Comfort Suites for your recent stay in our area.

• Breakfast staff received additional training in presenting a proper breakfast, having the area properly maintained and ready to open at the time designated.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Comfort Suites. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!