“Relaxing Retreat” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Hagerstown
Connecticut
“Relaxing Retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

We were in Hagerstown to attend my father's funeral and needed a quiet and relaxing place to stay for several days. We were surprised to find such a nice hotel in my old hometown. This hotel has been completely refurbished, clean and modern. It has a beautiful atrium with indoor pool and walkout from your room. The business center has 2 new computers and internet access from your room is fast and easy. Plenty of pillows on the bed and lots of towels in the bathroom - 2 of my biggest concerns in a hotel! Best of all, it is economically priced. We would stay there again in the future, hopefully under happier circumstances.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — TV was too small for the room
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Norwalk, CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

I recently stayed at the Clarion with my family for 1 night. We were looking for a Hotel close to I-81 with an indoor pool and had read decent reviews of this property. We were rather disappointed with our stay and the rudeness of the management.

The Hotel has a decent indoor pool, however the layout is not conducive for families. The pool is located in the atrium which faces guests rooms and has a loud echo. One rude manager came to the pool to ask my children to quiet down, even though they were not making much noise.

The same rude manager complained the next day again at Breakfast that my kids were being too loud. She was extremely rude and accusatory. I don't know if this property is trying to be a library or a hotel.

They claim to have a done a major renovation on the rooms, however the TV's are old and have not been replaced. We also had a problem with the bathroom as the tub would not drain and we were stuck with 6 inches of standing water.

The next time I am traveling on I-81 I will stay at the Hampton Inn which is closer to the highway, has an indoor pool, is less expensive and much more conducive for families.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2008

We've been staying at the Clarion for years and have seen the slow decline of the property. In the last year, under new ownership, we have seen an incredible turnaround. The indoor pool/atrium area has been totally restored to its old glory and has a resort feel. Rooms are being completely remodled, everything is cleaner and you can feel the care going into the place. The new owners are friendly, available and obviously love what they are doing. We don't consider staying anywhere else when we are in the area.
Mike D.

• Liked — pool
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

Just thanking you for the wonderful stay we had even though there were renovations being made.
The poolside continental breakfast was great as well as the service. Our friends and us are looking forward to staying with you again in May.
We consider the Clarion one of the best stays in Hagerstown.

John & Nancy Quino
Manheim, PA

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2008

In town for the JFK50 UltraMarathon, this hotel is by no means finished with the construction, and by the looks of it, they are in no hurry to complete the project. And worse yet, the reconstruction they are doing is not much more than a fresh coat of paint. The amenities are dated; the bedding dirty and tired; wireless internet service frustratingly slow; help behind the desk lacking; and, overall over-priced, considering the offering.
A big warning should have been in the difficulty making the reservation (on the phone directly with the hotel). And then when we arrived, we were told that there was no reservation, or that it was put down for an incorrect date. Then, after being advised that they could not recommend a local Italian restaurant, (despite a highly-rated establishment less than a mile away), the trip to the 2nd floor room began. One elevator, seemingly miles from the entrance, made the arrival after a six hour drive, interminable. Recommendations: DO NOT ACCEPT A ROOM ON ANY FLOOR OTHER THAN THE FIRST FLOOR. DO NOT STAY IN A ROOM THAT FRONTS THE POOL AREA AS THE WINDOWS ARE NOT SOUND-PROOF. DO NOT EXPECT HELP WITH CARRYING YOUR BAGS TO YOUR ROOM...THERE IS NO ONE.
If you're looking for an inexpensive one or two night stay, try the Day's Inn across the street, or, for something classier, the Sheraton is 2 miles down the road. You won't regret passing up The Clarion.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Westminster, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2008

We took an over night trip to Hagerstown to see a band that we enjoy at Cacun Catina night club adjacent to the hotel - It was a great location for our purpose - It was about a 100 foot walk from the hotel to the front door of the club.

The room we had was very nice - it had been recently remodelled. The bed was good & I have to admit I am pretty picky when it comes to beds. Check-in & check-out was easy.

We had a King room that opened out to the pool atrium area. If you are planning on sleeping in - I would recommend getting a room that is toward the outside of the building - we were disturbed by noise from the pool area in the morning - they use a room off of the pool atrium for breakfast and you could hear voices echoing loudly as people walk to & from the breakfast area.

The breakfast was just OK - typical Choice hotel continenetal; breakfast - the coffee was good though.

I thought this hotel was a little pricey for the area - the rack rate was around $120 - the manager gave us a 20% discount because I mentioned we were patronizing to the night club that night. Even with the dicount I thought the price was high - especially with all the other competing hotel chains in the area.

The whole hotel is being remodelled - most of the work in the hotel area appeared complete but there was still evidence of construction going on - the atrium had taped off areas and there is a huge banquet room area that was still under major renovation.

Overall it was a good stay - we had fun. I would probably stay here again if I was going to the same night club.

• Liked — The Locatiom relative to the night club
  • Disliked — the noise in the morning from the pool area
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ashland, KY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2008

This Clarion hotel is okay if you are on I-70 east or west (3 to 4 minutes). If you are on I-81 north or south, this hotel is not easy to get to. If you value your time, getting to this hotel from 81 will consume much too much.

Please consider that my comments are from the point of view of someone who makes 75 stays in hotels every 365 days (I stay neutral until something positive or negative about the hotel impacts me). I don't see the point of view of those who are giving this Clarion glowing ratings. Neither an A+ or an F, I rank it a C+.

Hotel's Good features
1. Room was comfortable (bed comfortable)
2. Room was clean
3. Atrium/pool area is interesting

Hotel's Average points
1. Hotel is remodeled, but it is the same structure I stayed in 40 years ago.
2. Breakfast is average for Clarion and below average for hotels as a whole. Fruit was tasty, but no eggs available, and only frozen waffles (a waffle maker would go a long way towards upgrading the breakfast).
3. Complimentary USA Today

Hotel's not-so-good features
1. Breakfast has to be eaten by the pool. Breathing the chlorine did not improve the meal.
2. They do not provide lids for the coffee cups. Of course, some spilled in the car.
3. Maid interrupted my morning at 9:30 knocking. Front desk miscommunication? Or hit the road we want to clean?
4. Wireless internet? Your room better be within a paper airplanes flight of the lobby.

Summary. Rooms are decent. They need to review and improve the breakfast and internet.

• Liked — Inside the room was comfortable and visually interesting
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)