“Decent property, but badly in need of upgrade” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   431 Dual Highway, Hagerstown, MD 21740-2601   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Hagerstown
Greenville, SC
“Decent property, but badly in need of upgrade”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I stayed here with three kids overnight on a road trip. Coming into town from the highway, at 25 miles per hour, I passed a few "invitations" from street walkers. Wasn't the best introduction. The hotel is comfortable, absolutely. But the décor is extremely worn and from decades past. Beds were very comfortable and clean. I cannot fathom how this location is chosen for weddings, but given the obvious poverty surrounding the hotel..... I guess that explains it.

Michele at the front desk was a delight. She tried to ensure my needs were handled but apparently housekeeping didn't follow through. I would not hesitate to stay here again on a road trip. Breakfast was fine - though seating was quite limited. I was thrilled that they use paper instead of Styrofoam given the horrific damage it does to our environment.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
venicegrand, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for your recent review! We always appreciate hearing back from our customers. I'm thrilled that your stay was comfortable and that Michelle was able to be of assistance. We are currently in the process of updating our hotel, so we hope that if you travel this way in the future, you will stop back by and see us and how we are progressing with our updates! Thank you again for choosing the Best Western Grand Venice!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Hagerstown, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

hot lobby, not cool noisy air conditioner and not adequate for the room no restaurant as it was under construction no local restaurant list to use as a guide no alcohol, found out the next morning that the "shop" was open to sell. In the morning waited 15 minutes at the desk for an attendant to show up. I kept calling the hotel thinking they would carry a phone. it never got picked up and was not able to take messages. Very unprofessional.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

venicegrand, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you for your recent review, we always appreciate hearing back from our guests! First off, let me apologize that you did not enjoy your stay, we strive to provide a clean, comfortable and courtesy environment for all of our guests and we're sorry that we did not live up to that for you!
Columbus, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I can't complain too much about this hotel -- Our stay was $54 per night through Priceline, including tax. We stayed one night while on a road trip to D.C. It was easy to find, and had ample parking in a well-lit lot. There are several late-night, and 24-hour fast food joints within walking distance should you arrive late. The staff member was friendly upon check-in and offered to sign us up for Best Western's frequent traveler program for a free night in the future. Our room was nicely sized, and rooms have a nice bank of windows. Most things in the room were clean, and furniture was free of dust, etc. The sheets were soft, crisp, and clean and the bed comfy. There was a chair and ottoman in the room that showed a few stains. The bathroom was clean and maintained.

My only complains are that the decor is out of date, and most areas of the hotel including wall covers, elevators, and flooring has signs of wear. The other complaint is that the A/C unit is few loud, and seems to kick on and off constantly (like cycles ever 3 minutes). It was bad enough to have to adjust the TV volume drastically as it cycled. It also kind of drove me crazy as I tried to sleep, and finally I just set the thermostat to 60F so it would just stay on and at least the noise level was constant.

There was also a nice size outdoor pool area at the hotel, which we checked out but didn't use. The free continental breakfast was good, with a relative good selection compared to other chain's.

Overall I would recommend this hotel, and my complaints are more for the management to take in consideration on making this place better.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review, we always appreciate hearing back from our guests. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, though we do apologize about the noise from the air conditioner. We will definitely take into consideration your comments on how we can approach updates in the future! Thank you for staying with the Grand Venice Best Western!
Houston, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

The hotel is the norm. Perfectly fine and good for our purposes. The staff, though, was friendly, helpful and helped us get our next accommodations. This is certainly over and above the call of duty. I would certainly pick this again if I was coming back to Hagerstown.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

venicegrand, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you for your recent review, we always appreciate hearing back from our guests! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and we were able to meet your expectations! Also we love hearing back about our staff members, so thank you for including that in your review! We strive to promote a staff that is out going and to try to always exceed the expectations of our guests, and I'm glad that we could provide that for you! Thank you again for staying with the Grand Venice Best Western, we hope if you are ever in the area again you will considering staying with us once more!
Elkin, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

This is not the worst hotel I've stayed in but it is a close second. The furniture in the room was stained and the floor appeared to not have been vacuumed in a while. I will not stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been vacuumed.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review, we always appreciate hearing back from our guests! We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, be sure we will look into why your room was not adequate and discuss any necessary steps with housekeeping! Please be sure to note that vacuuming is a part of our daily cleaning process after every stay, so again we do apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you for having considered the Grand Venice Best Western!
Horseheads, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We were in the area to visit Antietam Battle Field. This hotel was about 9 miles away. There are not any right in Sharpsburg the town adjacent to the Battle Field. This was definitely a good option. The entire price with tax etc was $86. The hotel has been there awhile apparently and could use some more updating. However, the room we got- which was a normal King Bed room was huge. If you were with kids you could put in a few cots or cribs to boot. It was very clean and everything worked. The bed was comfy. The AC worked fine and did not make too much noise.

The electrical outlets nearest to the bed were pretty far. If you have a cpap machine or other electric device like a phone charger that you want to set on the night stand - bring an extension cord. There were three lamps in the room and none were very bright.

Breakfast was ok. They had one of those flip over waffle machines that always makes my day.

There was an attached restaurant that was closed. This was a bit of an eye sore and there was a sign indicating that a new restaurant would be coming soon.

I did notice something that disturbed me. The guy who I believed was the manager - was talking with one of the young female workers there - he and she were sort of kidding around with each other in the breakfast area. ( nothing loud or serious) And then he gave the worker a little kiss on the cheek. This disturbed me because no on should have to put up with this at work. Very unprofessional. It did not disturb my husband - but I consider it out of place and inappropriate.

Room Tip: I think they are all big.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review, we always appreciate hearing back from our guests! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and sorry about the electrical outlets being too far from the bed. If you would have needed we do have a few extension cords at the front desk, even though this is the first time I've heard of this concern, but it is very valid, especially if you have a CPAP machine, so thank you for bringing this to our attention! We are glad the rest of the accommodations suited your needs though, and I know the waffle makers at hotels, always make me happy too, so we are thrilled that you were able to enjoy this! Also please note I will look into the employees at breakfast that you mention, so again thank you for voicing your concern! Thank you for staying with the Grand Venice Best Western, we hope you enjoyed your stay!
Ameliasburg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

We were travelling north from Hilton Head Island and stopped for a night that we booked on the internet in advance. The hotel was relatively convenient to the I-81. Our check-in was efficient and the young woman was pleasant and offered suggestions of restaurants. Our room was clean and adequately spacious. The wall paper in the bathroom needed refreshing. Wifi worked well and was complimentary.

Our reservation included a complimentary breakfast which was varied and generous.

In sum, this hotel met our needs and was a good value.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review, we always appreciate hearing back from our guests! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us while traveling through the area, and hope that if you are ever this way again in the future you will consider staying with us again! Thank you for choosing the Grand Venice Best Western!

Been to BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center? Share your experiences!