Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center
Ranked #15 of 21 hotels in Hagerstown
Crossville, Tennessee, United States
“Bed bug mess”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Reserved room thru Priceline. We were on our way home from a driving trip to Vermont from Tennessee. There were nine of us and we rented three rooms. The check in lady was overwhelmed and it took a long time to check in. About twenty minutes after check-in my son called from his room and said he found a bed bug when he pulled his sheet down. I didn't believe him. Went down and sure enough he had one. Went down and told front desk clerk. She made arrangements to move us. Went up to tell my wife about it she checked our room and found evidence of bed bugs (dead ones) and stains. Front desk moved us too. While searching we looked under the mattress and were surprised to find several handfuls of sunflowers seed shells between the mattress and box spring. Bad housekeeping. We had three rooms and found live bed bugs in one, dead bed bugs in the other and nothing in the third. We moved to new rooms and found nothing in those. Next morning manager informs us we will not be charged for the rooms and he would run our stuff thru the dryer to kill any stow aways. They fed us breakfast and dried our stuff. We didn't leave until two, way behind schedule. The staff seemed like they wanted to help and appeared to go out of the way to help. It wasn't till later after we returned home that I became upset. I did not notice things missing or destroyed until we unpacked. My son's library books had been run through the dryer and destroyed. We found pages in the laundry.. That was it. I had to pay for those. My magazines were missing and my sons socks were gone. I have no theories on the socks. The books and mags were just sloppy follow thru and they did not tell us of the mistake. I would rank this as one of my top three worst stays at any hotel. I think the staff wanted to do the right thing but it fell short and I am angry that I had to absorb the loss of time and money because of this episode.

Room Tip: Ask for one without bed bugs
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
venicegrand, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
I want to start off by expressing my sincerest apologies for the experience you had the Best Western Grand Venice Hotel this past weekend. We are very concerned about the incident you experienced at our hotel and we want you to know that this is something we did not know was a problem in your room until you notified us. It is something that is hard to detect and I want you to know that we take it very seriously.
Upon your departure we contacted Ecolab, our pest elimination service provider. He checked every room in the hotel and confirmed that the room your son stayed in was the only one with a problem. We have thrown away the mattresses from that room and we have already replaced with new mattresses. The room your son stayed in and all the surrounding rooms were treated, as well. If you require proof that we have taken care of the problem, I am more than happy to send you the paperwork from Ecolab.
Again, I truly apologize for the destroyed property and for your experience. If there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

154 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Kingston On
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We booked this Hotel through Hotels.com. It is the first time we have ever thought that we were treated as second class because of our booking method.
The room was in very poor shape, the bedding was ripped and the AC unit was very loud. The staff had located us beside the breakfast room which in itself would have been fine except that the two ball teams that were staying on the same floor were using it along with the hallways and some guest rooms as a party room. Eventually had to have the front desk shut them down.
The only professional person I dealt with was the night auditor. When we arrived I should have been more assertive with the location of our room but after 12 hours on the highway just wanted to relax. Besides, it seems we were interrupting the desk clerks supper by checking in at that time. She still had her mouth full when she came to check us in.
I have stayed at better motels on the highway for a much lesser cost.

Room Tip: Ask if they are hosting sports teams and stay away from the elevator lobbies. Do not stay on the sec...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Convenient location on Rt. 40 and a clean room, but the decor is outdated and the room had a musty smell. The price was right and it fit the bill for a place to spend a quick overnight, but I won't hurry back.

• Stayed July 2013
Milwaukee, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

It had clearly not been updated for a while. But everything seemed to be well maintained and clean. Decent sized rooms, comfortable beds and selection of pillows. So-so fitness room. Large public spaces, outside pool and hot tub.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I was looking for an inexpensive hotel near several historical sites (Gettysburg, Antietam, Harper's Ferry) that I wanted to visit, so I choose this Best Western hotel in Hagerstown, Maryland. Expedia had failed to fax my reservation, so at check in there was no reservation for me. The hotel clerk was kind enough to give me a larger room to accommodate for the long wait while a reservation was set up. In hindsight, maybe a smaller room would have been more updated. I did get a very large room with a soaker tub. The bathroom was very outdated with 70's brown tile covering the walls and the floor. The carpet in the room had holes in it and the shower stall had soap scum stains and some rust. I could not get the recess lighting to work, not sure if it was an electrical issue or if the light bulb was burned out, so the room was very dark. This hotel can definitely use some updating as well as a good scrubbing. I did not feel the room was clean to my standards nor were the common areas. The elevators could have used a vacuuming. It is near fast food restaurants and right off the highway. It was very handy to have a laundry on site.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center? Share your experiences!