You added BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Hagerstown
Seattle
“Needs updating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I was looking for an inexpensive hotel near several historical sites (Gettysburg, Antietam, Harper's Ferry) that I wanted to visit, so I choose this Best Western hotel in Hagerstown, Maryland. Expedia had failed to fax my reservation, so at check in there was no reservation for me. The hotel clerk was kind enough to give me a larger room to accommodate for the long wait while a reservation was set up. In hindsight, maybe a smaller room would have been more updated. I did get a very large room with a soaker tub. The bathroom was very outdated with 70's brown tile covering the walls and the floor. The carpet in the room had holes in it and the shower stall had soap scum stains and some rust. I could not get the recess lighting to work, not sure if it was an electrical issue or if the light bulb was burned out, so the room was very dark. This hotel can definitely use some updating as well as a good scrubbing. I did not feel the room was clean to my standards nor were the common areas. The elevators could have used a vacuuming. It is near fast food restaurants and right off the highway. It was very handy to have a laundry on site.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Virginia Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Whenever we travel north to Ohio or south back to our home in Virginia, we always make it a point to stop in Hagerstown, Maryland and stay at the comfortable, friendly and lavish Grand Venice Hotel - which is a BEST WESTERN franchise. The Grand Venice also offers services for weddings and serves as a Conference Center for the business community.

But for us, the Grand Venice is a wonderful value for a good night's rest. As you enter the hotel and leave the bustling world behind, you are greeted by friendly and smiling Front Desk Attendent's, many of whom speak with lovely European accents. One is also treated to a lobby furnished with beautiful, and invitiing decor that hints at European eligance. After an efficient and speedy check in, your attention is drawn to the posh and comfortable vignettes as you make your way to your room. We always try to get a room on the fourth floor, and we've never failed to have a quiet comfortable sleep.

If you are an early riser, and maybe enjoy a short workout to get your day started; the Grand Venice offers a nice exercise room, or you can flex your tight muscles with a swim in the pool followed by a relaxing dip in the hot tub. The hotel offers a well stocked help-yourself continental breakfast that won't leave you hungry or disappointed.

So, if you travel through the Hagerstown area on Interstate 81 or 70; going East, West, North or South our recommendation for a wonderful night's rest is the Grand Venice Best Western Hotel.... you can't go wrong!!

• Stayed June 2013
IPSWICH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We only stayed here one night en route. It is a good hotel with a outside pool. It was comfortable & clean & the hotel was fine. The hotel was good value for money.The area is not particularly attractive, but it was not too far from the centre of town where there were a couple of good restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

After checking in, we noticed food crumbs and black stains on the sheets and comforter. We called the front desk and housekeeping arrived shortly after. Oddly, housekeeping entered without knocking. They asked us what the issue was and we repeated the problem. They responded by stating that they changed the sheets and started talking in their native language as they changed the sheets. While they changed the sheets, they threw the dirty comforter on our luggage and lunch. I told them that they threw the comforter on our lunch and they said "There is no food on the sheets." There was obviously a language barrier. So, I just moved the comforter to the empty desk. As changing the sheets, she returned the comforter to the bed by dragging it on the floor. My wife and I just looked at each other and laughed. Are they seriously dragging our bedding on the hotel floor in front of us. They really don't care. What do they do when we are not there?

I pointed out a black stain on the comforter and asked them to change it. They said they were no clean comforters. At this point I lost his patience. We are paying over 100 a night and we can't get clean sheets! I asked them to have your manager call me and explain this to me. At this point they left and I called the front desk. While talking to the manager, they entered again without knocking and put on a comforter. So how do you go from no clean comforters to a new one in two minutes? Maybe they grabbed one off of someone else's bed. The management gave us a discount. 5 stars for the management. 1 star for housekeeping.

Room Tip: We had a Jacuzzi suite so your room may not be as nice.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mansfield, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed here on the way to obx. We had to drive quite a ways off the highway to get there. The area wasn't great but it was ok. The lobby looked nice and the desk clerk was very nice. I needed 2 rooms for my family but they didn't have any available. The hotel got worse the further into it you went. It really needs updating like everyone says. It kind of smells funny and the elevator was loud and shaky. The room SMELLED. I think they tried to cover up a smoke smell. The room was pretty clean. We found ashes on the floor by the bed and hair in the bathtub. The tv was old but it worked. Breakfast was ok but there was no one attending it. There was no orange juice, milk, or coffee cups. also there wasn't much seating for a hotel of that size. Like I said it was ok but I would not stay there again. We are staying elsewhere on the way back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center? Share your experiences!