“Good Hotel, but not a particularly attractive area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center

You added BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   431 Dual Highway, Hagerstown, MD 21740-2601   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Hagerstown
IPSWICH
“Good Hotel, but not a particularly attractive area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We only stayed here one night en route. It is a good hotel with a outside pool. It was comfortable & clean & the hotel was fine. The hotel was good value for money.The area is not particularly attractive, but it was not too far from the centre of town where there were a couple of good restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

After checking in, we noticed food crumbs and black stains on the sheets and comforter. We called the front desk and housekeeping arrived shortly after. Oddly, housekeeping entered without knocking. They asked us what the issue was and we repeated the problem. They responded by stating that they changed the sheets and started talking in their native language as they changed the sheets. While they changed the sheets, they threw the dirty comforter on our luggage and lunch. I told them that they threw the comforter on our lunch and they said "There is no food on the sheets." There was obviously a language barrier. So, I just moved the comforter to the empty desk. As changing the sheets, she returned the comforter to the bed by dragging it on the floor. My wife and I just looked at each other and laughed. Are they seriously dragging our bedding on the hotel floor in front of us. They really don't care. What do they do when we are not there?

I pointed out a black stain on the comforter and asked them to change it. They said they were no clean comforters. At this point I lost his patience. We are paying over 100 a night and we can't get clean sheets! I asked them to have your manager call me and explain this to me. At this point they left and I called the front desk. While talking to the manager, they entered again without knocking and put on a comforter. So how do you go from no clean comforters to a new one in two minutes? Maybe they grabbed one off of someone else's bed. The management gave us a discount. 5 stars for the management. 1 star for housekeeping.

Room Tip: We had a Jacuzzi suite so your room may not be as nice.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mansfield, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed here on the way to obx. We had to drive quite a ways off the highway to get there. The area wasn't great but it was ok. The lobby looked nice and the desk clerk was very nice. I needed 2 rooms for my family but they didn't have any available. The hotel got worse the further into it you went. It really needs updating like everyone says. It kind of smells funny and the elevator was loud and shaky. The room SMELLED. I think they tried to cover up a smoke smell. The room was pretty clean. We found ashes on the floor by the bed and hair in the bathtub. The tv was old but it worked. Breakfast was ok but there was no one attending it. There was no orange juice, milk, or coffee cups. also there wasn't much seating for a hotel of that size. Like I said it was ok but I would not stay there again. We are staying elsewhere on the way back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
west chester pa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed here during the recent Hagerstown Blues Festival on Friday May 31. As we entered the lobby, I said, welcome to the eighties, which was the age of the decor. The room was horrible. It had not been updated, ancient tube TV, mold and missing grout in the bathroom, lighting horrible, peeling wallpaper, kleenex box falling off the wall. There was a large stain on the bedspread. I mentioned this to the front desk, and asked for it changed by the time we came back. "oh I guess I'm going to have to do it, there's no one else here", the clerk said. I also told her the smoke alarm on the third floor was tweeting, like a battery needed to be replaced. It was never fixed. The sheets were worn and rough. We took on look at "breakfast", cereal and juice and walked out.

I travel over 50 nights a year for business, and have never experienced such a poor quality product as this hotel, and especially for the over $100 a night price!

Next year we'll go back to the Kabin at the KOA, which was much better!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
venicegrand, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay. We really do want to get honest feedback from our guests… both the good and bad. We listen to all guests comments and take them all very seriously. As a matter of fact many of our enhancements have come directly from our guests suggestions. Just to name a few, we have updated our breakfast to include hot sandwiches and waffles, added a brand new pool and added an elliptical to our in-house gym-all exciting changes based on our guests feedback and suggestions.

It pains me to read a review where a guest was not happy with us. As you can see from other glowing reviews you did not receive the service and quality product that many of our other guests have and I am truly sorry for that. I will definitely be sure our executive housekeeper will look into the problems you found with your room and be sure they are up to the high standards that our guests have grown to expect from us.You mentioned that you would not be returning next year. Should you wish to give us another chance, please contact me directly via this site and I will personally take care of your reservation from start to finish to be sure that you are happy and receive the best service and product.

Lauren Detwiler
Director of Sales
Birmingham, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I had a one night stay during my trip across Maryland. The check-in was handled courteously and efficiently. The lobby was very nice. Usually things get worse as you go into the hotel proper. This time, they didn't. I was on the 3rd floor. I had what I thought was a corner room (but there are several of those due to the layout. There were 2 sets of windows giving a lot of light into the room).

The room was large and comfortable and seemingly very clean. Unfortunately, upon closer inspection, the bedspread had a stain on it (see the photos).

The complimentary breakfast was served on the second floor and had a good enough supply of hot and cold items to satisfy most tastes, even this fussy veggie!

The hotel smelled quite nice – I saw that they had air freshener plug-ins plugged into sockets on all of the floors.

Due to the thunderstorm, I was unable to try out the outside swimming pool.

I was amazed at the price I paid for the room. I would have expected to have paid so little for a low-end motel, rather than for a Best Western hotel.

But for the stain on the bedspread, this hotel might have earned 5 stars!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for your kinds words about our hotel and our staff. We really do have a great team here. I apologize for the problem with your comforter and I will make sure this is addressed with our housekeeping staff.

We hope to see you here again at the BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel!!
�����
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

To be honest I picked this hotel because of it's location and affordable pricing on Priceline, but I enjoyed it so much that I wished I had more time just to be at the hotel! The lighting is a little dim and the hotel is showing its age, but everything is in good working order. The staff was courteous without being intrusive.

My room was easily the best part. As a light sleeper I am not a fan of places that are too noisy or bright when I want to go to sleep. With the blinds drawn, I was very comfortable in my cozy king bed.

They have soap dispensers in the shower which to me was handier than the packets most hotels have.

I enjoyed a cup of green tea on arrival and breakfast was nice, if not spectacular. I recommend the Belgian waffles. The hotel had very nice panoramic views of the city as well as being located convenient to a strip mall with several dining choices for dinner. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: recommend higher floors due to road noise
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
venicegrand, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel. We work really hard to make sure our guests have a great stay and feel at home. We look forward to having you back as our special guest the next time you are in Hagerstown!

Thank you again!!
Lauren Detwiler
Director of Sales
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I booked this hotel through priceline.com, not knowing anything about it except its star rating. I was very pleasantly surprised by how wonderful it is. On a Saturday evening there was ample parking by the front door. The front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The lobby was grand by any standard, and a table with a coffee machine and pastries welcomed me and my family after a long trip. As we were traveling with a baby, we were very surprised and happy to see that the room came with a refrigerator, so we could store the baby's milk and other perishables we had. The room was clean, the shower was luxuriant, and the beds were soft. Complimentary toiletries were available at the front desk, which we availed ourselves of, as we had forgotten toothpaste. The room had free wifi, which was very easy to connect to. Actually, I just opened my laptop and was automatically connected. The hotel offered a complimentary breakfast in the morning which was plentiful and delicious. And as I was leaving I used the "business office" in the lobby, which allowed me to print out directions to my destination. I was extremely pleased by this great hotel, which was not only without flaw, but affordable to boot. My compliments to the staff at the Hagerstown Best Western Grand Venice!

Room Tip: We stayed on the thrid floor, overlooking the front entrance and had no problem with noise. It was g...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
venicegrand, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you so much for all your kind words! Our staff works very hard to ensure that all our guests have a great stay. We are glad you took advantage of our complimentary coffee and snacks at check in. We just recently updated all the wi-fi in the rooms and are glad it is working great!! Thank you again for all your kind words and we look forward to having you back at the Best Western Grand Venice in the future!

Been to BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center? Share your experiences!