“Mean Spirited Front Desk Manager” 2 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save Big
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Hagerstown
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Mean Spirited Front Desk Manager”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

We generally find Homewood Suites a great choice for our family. Recently we booked this hotel while travelling last minute. There was a mix up with our reservation (not our fault) and on arrival we find our reservation was for a VA H'wood Suites not Hagertown. It seems there was an error with the 1-800 phone booking. We found the Front Desk Manager to be rude, unprofessional and unhelpful. Her attitude was this was not something she should worry about as this was a "Homewood Suites" problem. Well... I actually thought we were supposed to be staying in a Homewood Suites Hotel ? To sort this problem out we had to get on our cell phone in the hotel lobby to the main Homewood Suites number (this is late at night with tired children). Is it too much to expect that front desk staff have some sense of empathy and interest in doing a good job ? This was a very unpleasant experience.

Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
alsadler, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites Hagerstown, responded to this review, July 2, 2010
Valued guest,

For myself and on behalf of the Homewood Suites by Hilton in Hagerstown, please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience and/or problems that you experienced during you stay at our hotel.

We are in the process of reviewing your issues, to come up with ways to ensure that they are not repeated in the future.

Again please accept our sincere apology. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

If you have any additional questions or wish to discuss this matter further, please don’t hesitate to contact me by email and either I or the appropriate department manager will get in contact with you. My email address is kelly.stuber@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
US
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

This hotel definitely has good points - nice great room for hanging out.

Don't consider myself picky, have lived in very basic conditions in the third world, but housekeeping was really horrible during my four night stay. When I checked in there was hair all over the bathroom floor. Didn't want to be overly fussy so just mentioned it to front desk and tidied it most of it up myself, asking them to do a more thorough cleaning the next day - but. it was readily apparent the floors and shower were never cleaned during my entire stay. The following days, towels were left strewn about on the floor or in the sink. Just didn't give a good confidence boost regarding the cleanliness of the place.

Could have just been my room, but there was a pervasive damp / musty smell everywhere. I ended up buying air freshener and febreze spray it was that bad.

I've stayed both here and the Springhill Suites across the road. Experience there was definitely better, rooms were immaculate. If you're looking for a place near the mall, would try there first.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Maiden, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

I have to admit, I am a very picky hotel guest, mostly because I was a resort manager for 10 years. I tend to look at everything with a magnifying glass because I know what to look for. The Homewood Suites in Hagerstown would have been my pride and joy.....I kept waiting for the other shoe to fall and it never did. First of all, the front desk clerk was very pleasant, checked me in in about 1 minute flat, and gave me a free upgrade (having the Hilton Honors membership card helps). The suite was big, immaculate, very well appointed, and comfortable. A/C was in top working order, kitchen had granite counters and full size refrigerator-freezer, and cabinets were fully stocked with dishes, utensils, pots and pans. The appliances looked brand new. The internet was free. The bathroom was also granite, spotless, and had a great shower with quality bath amenities, even a night light on the hair dryer stand. The bed was a dream - very comfortable, with a down quilt and feather pillows. The mirrored closet contained a full ironing board and iron. There was an HD TV in both the bedroom and the living room.
We were delighted to find a free dinner buffet and complimentary beer/wine in the lobby area (I understand this is Monday - Thursday only) and there was a free hot and cold breakfast buffet also (every day but weekend is slightly fancier).
There is an exercise room, and the nicest indoor pool and hot tub I've ever seen in a hotel. Again, immaculate, and after a long drive it felt great. There is a courtyard outside the pool with a small basketball court, putting green, shuffleboard, and lounge chairs and tables. The landscaping is pretty and well tended.
I found all of the employees to be very courteous (thank you, Marilyn, for your personable attention during dinner).
All in all, it was the cleanest, most pleasant hotel I've ever been in, and the rate was much lower than what I would have expected. Homewood Suites, you're doin' it right! Next time we do the long trek to CT, we will be sure to stop here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Stevensville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

Have to agree with the other reviewers - top notch hotel and an excellent choice in Hagerstown. Can't beat the free evening meal and drinks. Slept well, shower nice, amenities great.

Only issue, if you can call it one, was that the temperature between the outer living area and bedroom was off by, I'd assess, 3-4 degrees. Made it hard to adjust to make our infants comfy.

All in all, we'd go back if we're back in the area. Excellent stop ...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

Hands down - the nicest, off the highway, overnight choice. The suite was PERFECT. Conveniently off Hwy 81, easy in and out. Why all hotels can't live up to their standards is a mystery. Professional, clean, nearly brand new, comfortable bed, excellent shower. Great job and thank you.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
NEW JERSEY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

Just returned from a 4 day stay at this hotel.Great location near all attractions ,and many restaraunts.You can drive to Harpers Ferry from here,highly recomended.This hotel serves a free hot breakfast,and dinner,good value for the money.Bed very comfortable,room very clean.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
bethesda, md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2010

We reserved both a one-bedroom and a two-bedroom suite for our large group of scouts for a Saturday evening stay, since we were skiing the next day at Whitetail and wanted to get a good head-start on Sunday morning. Rooms were spacious and nicely appointed and we especially enjoyed cooking in the kitchen, which was well-stocked with dishes, silverware, plates, glasses, pots, dishwasher and detergent, etc. Front desk staff was super-friendly and helpful (gave us good directions to the local outlets, the grocery store and to Whitetail). We enjoyed the pool from 9-10 p.m. -- clean and well-stocked with towels. Only oddity was that there seemed to be a lot of chlorine in the air (non-swimmer adult eyes started burning a bit after a while...not sure what that was about). We didn't play basketball but the court looked nice. We also enjoyed the hot breakfast (oatmeal, eggs, cereal, what I think was creamed-chipped-beef, bagels, waffles-you- make-yourself, etc.). Everything there was fresh and continuously replenished. Though we did not stay on a weekday, could see from the menu posted on the fridge that they serve what almost sounded like free, light dinner fare during the early evening (tacos, etc.).
A couple of my girls ended up leaving their bathing suits in the room and we called the next day and were told that they had found them and would be happy to mail them back to us, which they did promptly and at no cost!
Super experience. If you don't mind spending a few extra dollars for nice accommodations and service, this Homewood Suites is A+!

• Stayed January 2010

Been to Homewood Suites Hagerstown? Share your experiences!