“Good Value, But I'd Rather Stay Across the Road” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Hagerstown
Orlando, Florida
“Good Value, But I'd Rather Stay Across the Road”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed here for 5 months from February to July 2012. It’s an OK hotel. I was working at the West Virginia Air National Guard Base in Martinsburg WV; about a 22-23 min drive on I-81. Rooms have a 32 inch Phillips LCD TV, DVD player, a desk, sleeper sofa and High Speed Internet and Wifi. The hotel has an Indoor pool and hot tub, 24 fitness center and two floors with 2 washer and dryers. The biggest selling point for this hotel is the full kitchen; full size frig, full size dish washer, two burner stove, microwave, sink w/ garbage disposal, dishware and free food. The kitchen is what kept me from leaving until I started getting bug bites in May/June. All rooms are suites. I moved rooms several times to see if the bug bite problem would change; and it did. But I just finally decided I needed a change and moved to the Courtyard by Marriott across the road; which I’m glad I did. You can read my separate review on the Courtyard. The Homewood Suites is a pet friendly hotel and once it started to get warm I think the flees started to come out. The cleaning staff is another issue and something to be desired. I only got my room cleaned about once a week to a week and a half and I had to ask to have the room vacuumed or the kitchen floors cleaned. And even then were not clean. I expected the room to be cleaned just like I was checking in for the first time, but even then the rooms weren’t spotless. The front desk staff is nice, but could use some classes on hospitality, their not bad, just could use some polishing. Breakfast is served everyday and dinner Monday thru Thursday. Lot’s of families stay here because of the free food and pool. But the food isn’t very good. I might have had dinner 4 or 5 times in 5 months; I guess you can classify it as food. But I would rather not eat then eat the “free food”. The Breakfast is much better, but you have to battle with all the families; especially in the summer. The Hotel is located right next to a Buffalo Wild Wings and Outback Steakhouse; which is very convenient. The hotel is right off Interstate 81. I wouldn’t recommend this hotel, but I know people stay here for the free food and because it’s the only hotel for miles that has full kitchens. It’s always packed and it’s priced reasonably. But if I had to go back I’d stay across the road at the Courtyard. I liked the one bed room verses the studio room. I never was able to get into a two bedroom.

Room Tip: The Washer and Dryers are on the third and fifth floors; when doing laundry it really helps to be on...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Katie S, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites Hagerstown, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Michael K,

Thank you for the review of our hotel. We appreciate you comments. I apologize that you did not like the food that was provided during your stay. The comments about the food and the cleaning staff have been forwarded to the Department leaders. And I apologize that the cleaning staff did not do an appropriate job cleaning your suite. We recently received a 100% on our Cleanliness of our Guest Suites from our Hilton inspection so we hope if you stay with us again we could change your mind. I would like to correct your statement of the location of our Laundry Rooms just in case anyone else requests a specific room floor due to our Laundry Room. Our Laundry Rooms are actually on our 2nd and 4th floors. We hope that if you stay in town with us you will come back! Thanks again for the review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Chestertown, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed here with my fiance during a trip to see our son at his school on Dec 15th. It was the first time I stayed at this particular Homewood. Admittedly, I was leary because I have seen some shabby Homewood Hotels. However, per the norm, I checked the Tripadvisor reviews first. As expected, the hotel lived up to the reviews my fellow triadvisors gave.

The hotel was clean and rooms were spacious. There is a nice kitchen in the room with a full refridgerator. The shower was clean, bed was comfortable.

The manager was quite accomodating. When we arrived I was exhausted. As we made our way to our room we rode on the elevator with a mom and 4 teenagers. The got off on our floor and made their way to their room, which was right across the hall from our room. As they opened the door, I could see several more teenagers in the room. The kids were nt causing trouble and were no problem however, I didn't want there to be a problem later. I immediately returned to the desk and spoke with the manager. I politely told her my concerns. She, without hesitation found us another room to our liking. We had a quiet peaceful nights sleep. Again, in fairness, I never heard the kids again. Kudo's to the manager for her professionalism.

The breakfast at the hotel is nicely done. Plenty of space to eat. Good selection of eggs, waffles, fruit, juices etc. The even have real plates and silverware.

Overall, I'd stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Massapequa, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I was very pleased with our visit since I had never stayed at this hotel before and just selected it off the internet. The hotel was clean with very friendly and helpful staff. The location is easy to find and there are several restaurants nearby with the mall and shopping area across the street. The rooms were very spacious with separate seating area there was room to spread out and work if you choose to do so. I would definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I have stayed at this location six times now. It has always been a great stay. I usually get the two bedroom suite. The rooms are nicely decorated and very clean. This is the place to stay in Hagerstown!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
St. Leonard, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed here October 20- October 24. Was attending a conference at another local hotel, but chose to stay here to get Hilton Points.

The hotel is clean, the rooms are spacious and comfortable. There is a full-size refrigerator in the kitchen area, as well as a dishwasher, countertop stove and garbage disposal.
The bedroom is large with a comfortable mattress, pillows and an overhead ceiling fan, which is a nice touch.

The hotel layout is confusing, the elevators are at each end of the hall and tucked in an alcove, and I kept getting turned around when I would go to the first floor.

I enjoyed the breakfast in the morning and the manager's reception/dinner. It was nice after a long day not to have to worry about finding a place to stay. Although there were places to eat within walking distance, plus there is a wonderful grocery store (Martin's) in the next complex over from the hotel, so if you wanted you could prepare food in your room

I did find the business complex where the hotel was located to be confusing to navigate by car, I used my GPS just to navigate across the road, because all the roads were intersecting at once.

The front desk staff was ok, nothing exceptional and I found it strange that no one knew how to access the channel menu on the TV. Then I was told it was removed. Why would you remove a channel menu ? Also the morning I was checking out housekeeping was knocking on my door to see if I had left yet.

But overall a good place to stay for a business trip

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here for a quick overnight stay to break up a long drive back in September. We were only at the hotel for about 12 hours so my review is limited. The rooms were very spacious and nicely decorated and very clean! We arrived very late and the front desk concierge could have had a better attitude. We have 2 infants and needed a crib (also noted when we made our reservation over the phone). But when we checked in the woman said she would see if she could find a crib for us, but no promises. What??? Thankfully 15-20 minutes later she knocked on our door with a crib. But it would have been better if we checked into the room with the crib already there and a friendlier welcome. Overall a great stay! *there wasn't a bathtub in our 1 bedroom suite, just a shower.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
fmdmjy, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites Hagerstown, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Abstravel49,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us at the Homewood Suites by Hilton. While I was pleased to learn of your satisfaction with our guest suites. I was saddened to learn that your were not greeted with the friendly warm attitude that our Homewood Suites is known for.

Traveling on the road late in the evening is tiring and doing so with not one but TWO infant children was most certainly exhausting, so it is unfortunate that our guest service representitive did not show empathy to your family upon your arrival.

Please know at the Homewood Suites we value treating our guests like our closest family members. However it is clear in this instance we failed to meet your service standards as well as our own and for that I offer sincere apologies.

It is my hope that you will allow us an opportunity to provide your family with the true service that we are known for on a future visit to our area. I would ask that you feel free to call myself or any member of our management team so that we may assist serving you and your young family during your next visit. Thanks again for providing this feedback. Our promise to you is that we shall take this feedback..learn from it...and strive to do better.
Troy MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Homewood Suites in Hagerstown, MD on the evening of October 13th. We were pleased with the appearance of the hotel which seemed new. The rooms were large and accommodating. We had requested a quiet room which we received. The only fly in the ointment was the apathic demeanor of the hotel staff at check in. The young lady wasn't rude- just seemingly uninterested... preoccupied maybe with something else. As we left the hotel the next morning another individual manned the front desk. He never even looked up from his computer as we exited without an acknowledgement. Maybe having an off day, suffering from the Washington Nationals' loss from the night before. Go Cards!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Katie S, Guest Relations Manager at Homewood Suites Hagerstown, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
RamblinRedbird,

Thank you so much for your lovely review of our hotel. We love getting feedback from our guests that have stayed with us. I am glad you thought our rooms were quiet and accomodating and I am quite sorry to hear about the attitude of our Guest Service Represenatives. Would you mind emailing me your Name and dates you stayed with us in order for me to find out the Guest Service Representatives that were working at the time?
Thank you again for taking the time out to review our hotel.

Katie Starleper
Front Office Manager
katie.starleper@hilton.com

Been to Homewood Suites Hagerstown? Share your experiences!