“Almost as good as Mom's” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: German
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Pomfret, Connecticut
“Almost as good as Mom's”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Very good experience. Attentive staff and good food. A great fit for a beautiful small city with German heritage.

2 Thank Tborner

Bedford, Pennsylvania
“Weiner Schnitzel to die for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Having been to Germany several times, and being a member of a couple of German American organizations, I know that German food is more than sauerkraut and bratwurst. The Schmankerl Stube does it better than any German restaurant I've been to in the states, and that includes a couple in DC that have been around a long time. The food here is authentic, the décor is very Bavarian, great selection of German beers. I recommend anything with a cream sauce, which the chef does beautifully, and anything accompanied by spaetzle. Desserts are beautiful, and my dinner companions raved about the strudel, but as I'm not a fan of sweets, can't vouch for how they tasted - but they looked wonderful. Only shortcoming is on-street parking which can be difficult. There is a public lot but it is a block and a half away and you have to walk up a hill to get back to the street where the restaurant is.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank barbhammonds
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

What's a wonderful treat! We haven't had German food for ages, and this place did not disappointment. The good was delicious. We had the sample platter for two. Definitely the way to go if you aren't quite sure what you want to have. Great food. Well spiced. Delicious beer.
Our server was very kind and very knowledgable about the beers. A great meal at a reasonable price for the very high quality food. Will definitely come here again next time we're in town.

1 Thank Rpbp4_6
Glen Burnie, Maryland
“First time eating German”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

This was the first time hubby and I had authentic German food. We were impressed. The atmosphere of the restaurant was warm and inviting. The staff was welcoming and friendly. The food, what can I say? I wasn't sure what to expect, but the plates looked attractive, and were full. You got your money's worth. The flavor of the food was fantastic. It was hearty and full of flavor. I really wish I would have paid more attention in my German language class in high school. Hubby and I traveled to Hagerstown from the Baltimore area to try this place, and we would do it again.

1 Thank Christina T
Richmond, Virginia
“Like being in Bavaria”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Cute Bavarian decor. Excellent German food. Friendly and attentive staff in German traditional dress. Good prices