“Best Bavarian restaurant we've ever visited” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 203 Restaurants in Hagerstown
Cuisines: German
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
LA PLATA
“Best Bavarian restaurant we've ever visited”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We have eaten at Schmankerl Stube 7-8 times now and every meal has been excellent. Their pork shank is worth making the 24 hour advance order. I've had it 4 or 5 times and it seems to get better every time.

The wait staff are consistently attentive and pleasant. The food quantities are always too much - which is fine with us because we take it home and it makes several more yummy meals. The picture I uploaded shows my plate after I ate about as much as I could - and there was still a huge piece of pork shank remaining.

We usually try to save room for dessert. The carrot cake is my favorite - moist and not too sweet.

Eden Prairie, Minnesota
“Authentic German Cuisine....just like at home!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

While visiting VA we popped over to the Schmankerl Stube Bavarian Restaurant for our Sunday dinner. Very good Bavarian German food. The only negative I would have was that my potato salad was served cold instead of warm. Nice atmosphere and a small Biergarten in the front. Good food, cold bier....delicious desserts. Enjoy! Would recommend this restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hagerstown
“PERFECT MEAL!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I stopped at the Schmankerl Stube for Sunday dinner. We found the atmosphere to be so relaxing, nostalgic, and fun! The waitresses dress in authentic clothing and the host/owner, Charlie makes you feel very welcome. We were served a multigrain bread with whipped butter and a cheddar spread. Very good start. After reading over the menu we weren't sure what to choose. We opted for the "dinner for two" entree which gave us a sample of 3 different menu selections. Having never tried German style food, we felt this was a good opportunity to sample a few different things. The food arrived on a self serve platter, so we could help ourselves. Let me tell you, each and every bite was truly delightful! We love to try new places and the food here was some of the best we have ever had. The portion size was plenty for both of us. The service was amazing too. To top it all off we orderd coffee and a slice of Irish Creme Chocolate Cake. AMAZING! We savored every last bite. What a perfect meal. We found that we love German food and can't wait to go back!

Bennington, New Hampshire
“OUTSTANDING!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

This is the place to go in Hagerstown.
Very authentic German food and outstanding service--you can't go wrong eating here.

Wilmington, Delaware
“Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Hagerstown anymore!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

If you have never been to Germany, this will count. Schmankerl Stube and its' proprietor Herr Charles Sekula have it down to a science. The building consists of the beauty of the flower surrounded terrace, dining rooms with tall ceilings and decorated with furnishings of Germany, and a Biergarten adorned with huge Hacker-Pschorr umbrellas. Waitress are dressed in different impeccably maintained Bavarian dresses. Herr Sekula floats from table to table throughout the dinner checking on patrons without becoming intrusive. They have an extensive selection of draft German beers in traditional glasses of all sizes.

The bread served before the meal was a heavy coarse and delicious bread accompanied by fresh whipped sweet butter and also a house-made anchovy, caper and pickle butter. Tables even in the biergarten are done in linen, cloth napkins and flatware.

The Fried Tomatoes with White Sauce were good. The soup of the day, Pork Shank and Bean was bursting with flavor. Smashing. The Wienerschnitzel with Spatzel was very good. Available with pork or veal. Each entrée was served with the vegetable mix that reminded me of Cowboy Caviar sans the cilantro (corn, black bean, and pepper).

My entrée was off-the-charts! I ordered the Schmankerl Wurst Teller. It consisted of Debreziner (pork smoked), Knack (pork) and Weisswurst (veal & egg) sausages. The Sauerkraut was fresh, sweet without too sweet and a touch of tart.

Charles Sekula's start was as a pastry chef and our Apple Raisin Strudel and the Bailey Cake was phenomenal. The staff is exceedingly professional and polite. They should be the poster models for manners. I even managed a peek in the kitchen......spotless, as was the entire restaurant. I live 3 hours away, and will return specifically just to eat here again. Superb!