“The Real Deal” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 203 Restaurants in Hagerstown
Cuisines: German
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Cundys Harbor
“The Real Deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We are traveling to North Carolina from Maine and stayed the night in Hagerstown. All of the hotels and every single chain restaurant on the planet are at this giant mall. Based on TA reviews, we went to the Bavarian Restaraunt for dinner last night. Great place. You can tell it's been a part of the community for decades, the decor is spot on, the dirndls seem authentic, and yes, the owner, nattily dressed in a three piece suit, does greet you at the door. Wait staff was very attentive, pleasant and perfectly informed. The recommended dark German beer was very enjoyable, and the food was quite good. My wife had the Wednesday special, Pork Shank (see photo)-wowzer!! It was a huge pile of food, and the edible part of the Shank (buried deeply in the scored fat) was superb. The best I've ever tasted. My Wurst special was terrific as well, three very different, but very tasty sausages that I imagine being stuffed by some dude in the back kitchen.
Each dish was accompanied by a delicious, and obviously home made, baked pastry covered in "hunt sauce" as the carb.. I'm not describing it well, but it was thick, chewy and very tasty, about hockey puck size.
We spurned the idea of dessert until the tray came buy, and 30 seconds later we were digging into home made Apple Strudel, chock full of great warm seasoned apples and raisins.
Needless, we had to be wheeled out of the door. Huge portions, but very fairly priced.
Next time I'm in Hagerstown, likely to be never, I'd make a point of stopping. Except for the Black Forrest In in Minneapolis, the best German restaurant I've ever been to.

• Visited February 2013

Hagerstown, Maryland
“Good food, a bit pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We moved to Hagerstown a little over two years ago and a friend got us a gift certificate to Schmankerl Stube. The food was very good, the service was great, and the atmosphere pleasant. I thought that the food was a bit overpriced for what it was.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Had a great lunch here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Had lunch here last weekend. It was a very good meal. I had a bratwurst that came with some truly wonderful kraut. Other half had schnitzel that was very quickly consumed. I would definitely eat here again.

• Visited February 2013
Corning, New York
“Excellent place to eat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

First time in a German restaurant & it couldn't have been better. A group of 5 co-workers all tried different meals & no one would say anything but great things! The host & waitress made us feel very welcome & the decor made you feel like you were really in Germany.My only regret is that it's a 4 hour drive away, so the next visit will be awhile.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Biglerville, Pennsylvania
“Altogether delightful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Had lunch here a couple of days ago in the middle of a shopping trip to the Prime Outlets (a few miles away) -- SUCH a happier and better choice than whatever mid-priced chain one my find scattered around. All lunch platters were $9 for entree and two sides chosen to complement. I had saurbraten with whipped potatoes and red cabbage with apples. Mom had the first schnitzel choice -- "Schnitzel Art" I think was the name. It had Jaeger (mushroom) sauce on the side plus german potato salad and carrots. Both were cooked perfectly -- what should be fork tender was so and what should be crisp and light was also. Desserts were brought to the table to be unresisted! For us apple strudel with vanilla sauce and apple crumb cake with ice cream. My vanilla sauce was on the edge of being curdled -- the only negative of the meal, and it was fine.

• Visited January 2013