“Delicious German Food” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 199 restaurants in Hagerstown
Cuisines: German
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Delicious German Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We had a great beer and tasty German food for my husband's birthday lunch. It is a relaxing and cozy restaurant.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

90% Recommend
Washington DC
“Best Wurst”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

If you fancy a drive out of Washington for something special, head out to Hagerstown to the Bavarian restaurant, Schmankerl Stube. Delicious, and I really mean, delicious, weisswurst - those lovely white sausages with a creamy texture, lightly seasoned with parsley. Perfectly cooked so the skin is tender - and the potato salad, well, it's simply impossible to stop eating. I can't wait to go again. P.S. Hagerstown is really interesting; full of mansions and old industrial buildings. Have a walk after lunch.

Visited November 2012
Mayland
“great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great food and atmosphere, though overpriced. I eat here frequently. Only twice has service been bad (unbelievably slow). The food is always good, and there are high standards of service. The times when service was bad, however, there was no offer of recompense in any way. There are many regulars and I would assume that the owner knows that they will be back regardless.

Visited September 2012
“I thought I was back in Bavaria again!! WUNDERBAR!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

The atmosphere and service at Schmankerl Stube were very nice, although I thought our waiter was a little too flirty with my daughter .., but the food...FANTASTIC!!! Oh my goodness, I had the Schweinehaxen (you have to order 24 hrs ahead) and it took me straight back to Bavaria!! Could not have been better. Everyone else at my table loved their meals as well, and their plates looked fantastic! Nice, large portions, served hot. Can't wait to go back!!! Not cheap, but well worth the price .. Except I thought their wine, although QUITE GOOD (house Riesling) was overpriced at $9 a glass.).

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Overpriced, awesome service, ok food.Go to Schmankerl Stube in Hagerstown instead if you want authentic German cuisine.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

Have been to the Bavarian Inn several times over the last several years; eaten in the main dining area, buffet-style at a seminar, and in the Rathskeller. The service has been stellar each and every time, have found their "American" food (crabcakes, steak) to be very good, but I do not care to even try their wild game menu... And as for their German food ... EH. I lived in Bavaria for several years, and the food barely holds a candle to "real" Bavarian cuisine. If you want authentic German cuisine, go to the Schmankerl Stube in Hagerstown .. I feel like I'm back in Bavaria whenninasked eat there - TO DIE FOR. But... Back to the Bavarian Inn ... Generally, I was very disappointed last week (ate in the Rathskeller) .. And probably won't go back... mainly because it is simply not worth the price! Dinner for 2, one glass of wine, no other beverages, no apps, no dessert... $65.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere