“Comfortable Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Hagerstown
Metuchen, NJ
“Comfortable Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009

Stayed here for two nights, the rooms were modern and clean, and it was a great location off the interstate. My only complaint would be the shower had extremely low water pressure. Other then that i would reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

We pass through here twice each summer and have found the Country Inn & Suites to be our best option. Nothing fancy, but always (in our experience) consistent -- that is how we think of Country Inn & Suites generally, and certainly of the Hagerstown location where we have now stayed three times.

Thankfully, this place has not been overrun by swarms of teenagers on weekend soccer/basketball/cheerleading/etc camps/tournaments -- the type of thing that leads to noise all night long, never-ending waits for elevators, etc and which seem to happen very frequently at these interstate-side stopovers in smaller towns. This hotel however seems mostly to be younger families and quieter types (maybe the slight bump up in price for the suites-style room discourages the sports teams, I dunno). This type of clientele (and avoiding the other) helps a lot if you want to get, you know, SLEEP.

These places aren't fancy, but they do one thing quite well: their definition of a 'suite' means a working door that closes off the bedroom from the rest of the room. Not every hotel chain does it this way -- some just use strategically placed furniture, others use half walls, etc. The working door is a meaningful differentiator in our book, as our two kids go to bed around 8pm and generally we like to have a little time awake to ourselves after that.

The breakfast is pretty decent for a 3* hotel, the pool is okay (nothing great). Our experience with the rooms (cleanliness, amenties, general condition) has always been at least passable and in fact positive.

We've stayed in the Spring Hill Suites in Hagerstown as well, and generally find the Country Inn & Suites to be better all around.

We ponied up for one of the large suites this time and found it to be an even better fit for our needs: tons of space in the common area, so our kids could be separated by about 15 feet when it was bed time (a lot less risk of them keeping one another up, simply because they couldn't see each other this time). Entrances to the bathroom from both the bedroom *and* from the common area -- this was great because we could use the bathroom in the night without passing through the common room and risking waking up the kids. The jacuzzi was very large: an adult and two young kids could all be in there together simultaneously with relative comfort.. The room was $214 +taxes, which is steep for a 3* hotel in a small town ... but given those amenities we were glad we did it. It just fit our circumstances very well.

They claim to benefit from the nearby mall security, but I would recommend not leaving valuables in your car. This isn't exactly a crime-ridden 'hood, but there were two spots in the lot where window glass was an obvious marker of break-ins. Probably just knucklehead kids coming over from the mall -- this is not an unsafe place at all, just one where you would do well to park under a street light.

As other posters have mentioned, this hotel does have the benefit of many eating choices due to its proximity to the mall. There is a decent selection of fast food spots, to be sure. Parents, you should know that when you drive up to the hotel directly across the parking lot and in fully view about 50 yards away is Chuck-E Cheese ... so invariably you have to be ready to deflect a cascade of 'puhhhh-leeeeeezes' that might be tough if you've had a long day of driving. :-)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Bridgeport, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

We have stayed here before but I forgot the major thing the water pressure in the shower. I like a nice powerful shower, well that doesnt ever happen in a hotel, but this shower pressure was just below average, I had to work and work to get the soap out of my hair with the small stream of water.

I love having a refrigerator in my room, but this one made noises all night long. Very annoying.

I have never had any issues with noise at this hotel, whether it be outside in the parking lots or in the hallway or room next door.

I do enjoy having an exhaust fan in the bathroom and this hotel does provide that, along with good lighting and spacious counter top in the bathroom.

The beds and pillows were comfortable, the most comfortable of a small 3 night trip, involving another hotel.

Hotel is the the parking lot of the mall that has Macy's, Bon Ton, JCP as anchor stores, Olive Garden, Shoney's, Golden Corral, and many other restaurants very close.

The breaksfast buffet was large and had quite a variety, even hot foods and make your own waffle.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Storrs, CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites for two nights and we were disappointed in the hotel. Check in was extremely slow, our television did not work, and the refrigerator made constant noise 24/7 plus the hotel is rather noisy. Also our maid request went unanswered and we returned to a dirty room. Also the free wi-fi is extremely slow and essentially not usable. Plus at the end of our stay we were overcharged for the room.

The only positive things I can say about the hotel is that the breakfast is good and the woman working the breakfast bar is very friendly and helpful. It is located right behind Valley Mall and its food court and near many restaurants so we enjoyed the location.

We won't be returning to the Country Inn and Suites and its very poor service.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
South Central PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

I've stayed at many CI & S, and have always been happy. I was unhappily suprised last night as we checked in here in Hagerstown, MD. We checked in late evening, I allowed my three boys and two nephews ages 11 -14 to go swimming right away so we didn't see much of the room when we first got there. When the pool was closing I sent them into the room without me so they could dress without a female in the room. A couple minutes later one boy came into the hall telling me I need to get in there. When I walked into the room I found the boys laughing and telling me what they had found.....condoms! Condoms on the top of the fridge, condoms and receipts on the nightstand and in the nightstand. I walked to the desk to inform them, before I got throught telling them when the boys had discovered, they came to me again this time telling me they found the USED CONDOM on the floor beside the bed on the window side.!!!! GROSS As they moved us to a very nice room to try and make it right the fellow at the desk told me it had been a bad night, that another guest had found a bananna peel IN THEIR BED! Stay away from this place unless you want to explain condoms or hear kids laugh the rest of the trip about the experience. I wasn't laughing!
They ende up giving us a night for free, in a larger, nicer room; but, we had already had the experience. I appreciated the effort, but please, hire better cleaning staff.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

While I agree with most of what everyone else's comments I find it so hard to believe that I am the only one to mention the LOUD Train noises. All was well, clean, good area, lots of restaurant choices, clean indoor pool for my 6 year old to enjoy. Free Wi-Fi, clean/large room w/ fridge etc. THEN, at 12:35 AM - the train whistle began to blow, over and over again for 23 minutes. NOT a welcome noise after traveling a long distance. Despite the train, the hotel was actually a nice change. We usually stay at the Hampton Inn one exit up - they didnt' have an indoor pool so we opted to come here.

Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
The Villages, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

Had to come to town for a funeral with other family members, during a huge ice storm! Can't say enough about how friendly and helpful the staff was. They helped us chisel out our cars, they helped us navigate around town, they put up with our shenanigans, they were just superb! The rooms were excellent and clean. I am very picky and I can recommend this hotel to anyone! Next time you need to stay in the Hagerstown area please give this a try. They are in the middle of the parking lot of the Valley Mall but don't let that scare you. There is food and everything within walking distance. (However, I can't recommend the Golden Corral) Please reserve this hotel with confidence.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Nothing to note here
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)