“An Oldie but a Goodie....” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Baltimore, Maryland
“An Oldie but a Goodie....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I hadn't been to the Airport Inn in several years, having moved out of the Hagerstown area. I had forgotten how much I LOVE this place. We recently celebrated a birthday dinner there, seated in one of the fantastic little private rooms, and what a wonderful evening it was! So look, here is the reality....the menu doesn't change often, with many of the selections unchanged for years, but why fix something if it isn't broken?! The food is seasoned and prepared classically.....never over-spiced or over-prepared; just classic delicious food for the generations. The Airport Inn will always have special memories for me and my family, and our recent visit was not a let-down. (I highly recommend the greek salad, the crab cakes, crab imperial, or (my fave) the salmon -oscar style. Delish!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Hagerstown, Maryland
“Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I had dinner at Nick's on Valentine's Day with our local Rotary Club. The food was out standing. I had a crab cake with large junks of crab and little filler and a small flavorful petite steak. The vegetable medley was cooked well and the potatoes were roasted to perfection. The chocolate mousse was "yummy"!!!! Great food at good prices.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hedgesville
“Honest review from a well traveled individual”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

First off, I have indulged at many fine restaurants all over this country and several around the vicinity of Nick's Airport inn. My first impression of walking into the dinning area was poor. If a reasturant is not going to update its 70's carpet and and tacky seating than one can only wonder about the food, but I put bad thoughts and bias out of my mind for I have been pleasantly surprised in the past, regardless of a companies exterior. Glancing at the menu gave me hope. There were items like sushi grade ahi and a 40 something dollar fillet that sounded chef inspired. What we were not told about and did not discover till after we ordered was a separate menu of specials that looked interesting. But, I will not critique a server for they are a result of their management. On to our meal. The first thing brought to the table was a plate of toasted baggett slices and a "cheese whiz" spread that was complementary. Once again I will not include this as a negative regardless of the lack of pinche because it was complementary, but it was not an amuse that should accompany a five star meal. I started with an order of the crab fingers (six blue point crab claws with a mustard dipping sauce) for an appetizer and this is where my review on the food will start. My first question before ordering them was "has the crab been frozen?" And the answer was "no". I have never had crab that was this tough or fishy smelling in my life. Even McDonald's in the far north east (they have lobster rolls up there that are amazing compared to this) would not serve crustacean of this grade. I have never had crab this poorly prepared, ever. I chocked it up as a loss and ordered the seared ahi appetizer as well. The waitress said she would take the crab back and not charge me for it but I'm not like that and I did order it so I don't mind paying for it. The ahi came out and it wasn't bad at all. It truly was sushi grade and wasn't ever frozen. The portion was on the small side but I'm ok with that. So, the ahi made up for the crab and all was well at our table for the time being. Next to come out was my fiancé's house salad and my French onion soup. No complainants. The soup presentation was nice with cheese melted over the top and crisped around the edges of the bowl. Was it the best French onion I have ever had? No, but it was far from the worse. So now for the entree. We both ordered the regular size fillet with bernaise sauce, both asked for it to be cooked rare. They came out on hot plates, both looked to be good cuts of decent size, she ordered mashed potatoes as a side and I ordered a baked potato. This is where the meal really headed south. There was no buttery bernaise sauce only a ramican of off the shelf BBQ sauce (maybe sweet baby rays?). The fillets were both cooked rare which was great but there was little seasoning on them and WHAT CHEF IN HIS RIGHT MIND SERVES A FILLET WITH BBQ SAUCE!!!? I didn't order a pulled pork sandwich or brisket. And I would never put BBQ sauce of that sweetness on either if I did. My baked potato was fine as any baked potato should be. The mashed potatoes were a bit bland but at this point the least of my concerns. My bill was $105 for two. If you are looking for real above chain reasturant food in this area I highly recommend The Purple Iris in martinsburg wv. It is far better food prepared by a real chef. Now not every visit there has been exquisite but they rarely let me down and is a little cheaper. I'm not trying to bash any business but it was really hard to take anything good away from this experience. And I'm not trying to tell people where to go, only my preference for this region and this level of reasturant. I will not be going back to Nick's ever again unless it comes under new ownership or goes through a major revamp, and quite honestly would be embarrassed to bring others. This is also my first ever review of any reasturant and rarely do I feel this strongly to take this much time to warn others.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Clear Spring, Maryland, United States
“Company Christmas Party Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We had a great meal with wine! The service was great. We will dine here again. Meals where very high priced, but very good. We had a large room for our party, every one enjoyed it. Great place for a date night aswell.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts
“Do not go!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Hadn't been here for at least 10 yrs. Brought my 88 yr old mother here from Waynesboro, PA. Was a Monday for lunch. Busy and very loud. The waitperson was frazzled and rude 2 of us ordered the fried oysters and 1had crab cake. That was good.. But the oysters were awful! Flat, heavy coated,overcooked disks with grey (oyster)? in between. Nothing to resemble an oyster. I think they were frozen ( Mrs Paul's?)
We will never go back.