“Really nice surprise!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
“Really nice surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We met friends for dinner on a Saturday night at the Zap and we were all very satisfied. Parking is easy as there is a parking garage across the street or a huge parking next door by the bank. Our savvy friends had called ahead and found that you can bring your own beer/wine since they do not yet have a liquor license. There were plenty of tables open with about half a dozen other diners present. Despite the dining area being a narrow rectangular shape, the ambient noise was not overbearing. Our waiter was attentive on water refills and the food arrived in a timely manner. I thought the prices were very reasonable. Dinner for 4 with a couple of appetizers was $55. The drunken noodles had just enough 'zap' to get your lips and tongue tingling. My wife thought the fried rice dish was better than dinner at the House of Kobe because of the spices used at the Zap. We had a great time visiting over some really good food. Overall, we can't wait to go back to try other dishes on the menu which is probably the highest compliment I can make. I hope this place survives.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Best ethnic place in town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Went for dinner, and was very pleasantly suprised! Hagerstown has ethnic food restaurants popping up everywhere but this is by far the best place! Food was wonderful! Mango and sticky rice dessert is a must! Gave service a 3 only because there was only one waiter, but he was very plesant and was working. Not a fast food place, but well worth the wait, will be going back!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Maryland
“Simply delicious.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stopped by Thai Zap this past Sunday for a late lunch on our way to Western MD. By suggestion of the manager, I tried two dishes I was not familiar with: the Thai sausages for appetizer, and an entree which name I can't remember, but basically is a yellow curry of chicken, fresh noodles and crispy noodles. The yellow curry was incredible! My wife had the Thai fried rice and was very happy with it. We liked the food so much that we went again in the evening for a quick Pad Thai fix, and we were happy again with the food.
I cannot comment on the slow pace of service experience by other reviewers, since it was only us and another table or two. The service was attentive and reasonably fast. The place opened a month ago, so hopefully they will work out the logistics. But for sure they got the menu and the food right from the beginning.
I am making this a mandatory stop on my shopping and hiking days in the area!

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hagerstown, Maryland
“New synonym for delicious: Thai Zap”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Service is definitely on the leisurely side of the scale at Thai Zap but your tastebuds will thank you for days on end for taking the time to experience the delectables a Thai Zap has to offer.

I ordered the Thai sausages appetizer and the Kow Soy chef special. And I will order them again and again, and I will tell my friends to order them as well. Oh, and they have pretty high end green tea which I also had.

The atmosphere was cozy chic. The restaurant maybe seats 60-70. Larger groups could fit since there are small tables that could be pushed together.

One thing to mention, they don't serve alcohol but that wasn't a turn off for me but I realize that's probably something readers might be interested to know about.

This restaurant is a must eat! If you're not sure what to try, ask the waiters. They're very knowledgeable and are great at making recommendations.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Very Happy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We went to Thai Zap tonight and were quite happy with it. The service was a bit slow, as somebody else said, but the food was excellent. My daughter had the shrimp fried rice and raved. My husband very much enjoyed his duck Krapow. He had it medium spice, and he said it was actually medium. If you really like spicy, you may want to go for hot. I had the Ladna, which I liked, but my husband thought was boring. It is an average "Asian" sort of flavor, as opposed to really Thai. I think the sauce tasted kind of like egg foo young sauce. I liked it a lot. Only get it if you like very soft noodles, though. Which I do. They do not yet have their full dessert and drink menus, but we were impressed with the mango & sticky rice that we had. We also found out that they'll deliver, which is quite exciting!

• Visited August 2013