“Great burgers and bread pudding” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 196 Restaurants in Hagerstown
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
“Great burgers and bread pudding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

You'll see a theme of favorite desserts among my reviews... bread pudding. 28 South does not disappoint. The bread pudding is tasty and sweet without becoming overwhelmingly sugary. The burgers are grilled to perfection, and I find it hard to try something else on the menu when I return because they're so good. The fries are crispy, the service prompt and friendly... all in all, I find 28 South to be a consistent spot to have a convenient, reasonably-priced, good meal in the downtown Hagerstown area.

Visited April 2014

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Hits and misses”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I visited this restaurant for the second in late March with a party of 10. My wife had the fish special and I had fish and chips as well as a cup of the soup du jour, New England clam chowder. Both oif aour entrees were bland and we wouldn't order them again. However, the chowder had to have been prepared by someone who had never seen the dish before! The chowder was brownish orange in color and had a very thick consistency. I lived in Rhode Island for almost a year and know good chowder when I see it. I ate two bites and gave up. I mentioned how horrible it was to the server. I was not charged for the chowder but don't know if it was because of my complaint or to make up for the server spilling a big glob of ranch dressing on my wife.
We heard no complaints from anyone else in our party. One person did like the crab soup which is always on the menu. We thought that the restaurant was average during our first visit but worth another visit so very disappointed.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Mars, Pennsylvania, United States
“2nd BEST thing I've ever eaten!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Ohhhhmyword, we stopped in at 28 South on Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014. Our server was Shane - very attentive, very helpful and knowledgeable. I had the Agave Glazed Scallops over Barley Risotto w/ a side of grilled spinach!!! The glaze was heaven on earth!! Menu says it has tequila - which I couldn't discern the flavor of tequila - but it was delicious!! The scallops came served on the bed of barley risotto (which i actually ordered as a side dish), w/ the glaze over all! YUMMMMMMY is all I can say! My husband had the Wild Boar Bolognese over penne. It was delicious too, although NOT as good as mine! The menu was small, which I have found usually produces better food quality results. Beer menu was nice. Good mix of imports, craft and domenstic. You can create your own flight to choose your favorite! I would HIGHLY recommend 28 South on Potomac Street in Hagerstown, MD. Do NOT miss it!

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“Unexperted Perfect Brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

On a cold Sunday, I arrived in Hagerstown looking for a pit stop on my way to West Virginia. I parked at the visitor center and walked down the main street. And there it was. An amazing brunch with the best omlette and homefries that I have had in 2014 and 2013. All in sleepy Hagerstown. I wish the owners luck. My waiter was ever so helpful. The host helped me figure out how to get back to 70 and also suggested checking out the outlets-- a great idea. Thanks.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boonsboro, Maryland
“Good food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I had heard mixed reviews of 28 South. After trying, I was impressed. Our server Brittany was really friendly and knowledgeable. We were very impressed with the pizza and panini. The chef even approached our table to check on how we were which was a nice finishing touch. The atmosphere is also very pleasant. Definitely worth it!

• Visited January 2014