“Good people.” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
“Good people.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I go to 28 South semi regularly. The bartender Dustin is phenomenal, and very helpful and fast paced.

Beer selection is good but can be slightly overwhelming, I will usually get a domestic while I decide on my craft.

Food can be very good and sometimes just mediocre. It depends on the day.

Overall, a good place with a great front of house staff. Owner is very involved and is usually seen each time I am there. Always quick to rectify any issues.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Hagerstown, Maryland
“Great service, good times!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We have eaten at 28 South several times and continue to be impressed. The service is always great, the beer list is phenomenal and the food is always good. There are a few recipes that could use just a little tweaking, but we have never been disappointed. The casual food goes well with the casual dinner crowd we usually find. The owner seems to really care about the success of the restaurant and usually greets each table at some point in time. The ginger martini has quickly become my new favorite adult beverage. Even our normally picky sixteen year old enjoyed her dinner, which is always a plus in my book.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Outstanding dining in downtown Hagerstown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Downtown Hagerstown is a trip. Several very interesting venues in a two block area. We chose 28 South. It turned out to be an excellent choice. We arrived and left before the music started at 9, but the menu and service were outstanding. Being this close to the Chesapeake Bay, one expects, no demands, good and fresh seafood. We were not disappointed. Three of us had the salmon special and the less venturous had the cod. All were excellent. Give this place a shot. You won't be disappointed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Frederick, Maryland
“Very Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I was here almost a year ago when the place had been reopened. My experience then was just the same as my most recent! First, last October, I was dining with a few friends. We had crab wontons, which were really nice, but everything else, just did not hit the mark. Food was cold, service was slow, and drinks were not made as they were advertised. Very disappointing.

My next trip, August 2013, was as bad or worse than my first experience here. In fact, everything was so bad I received a $10 gift card for a future visit, NO THANKS! Again food not only cold, but bland. Female bartender paying more attention to staff then her 8 dining guests, making drinks wrong again. (If you offer a nice beer selection, make sure your bartenders know which beers to pour) I was very disappointed in my experiences here. Recommend next door or down the street.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Lutherville, MD
“They try but don't hit the mark”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Both the cooks and waitstaff try hard but they are not quite there yet. The chicken fondu is an interesting idea but it didn't taste like chicken or fondue. Wonderfully cooked cod in the fish and chips but the fries were thin cut and had been held in a warmer, tough not crisp. The crab pizza my wife had had a nice crust but didn't make it to our table piping hot. The topping looked unattractive when it cooled?

• 3 of 5 stars Food