“Unexpected Surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 197 Restaurants in Hagerstown
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, International, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: This is a new branch of the original restaurant in Williamsport, MD.
“Unexpected Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Driving from Charlotte, NC to New Jersey, my husband and I and 16 year old grandson spent an overnight in Hagerstown, MD. The hotel recommended several restaurants, the first of which we headed to with anticipation of barbecue and ribs. Told there was a 45 minute wait ... and having a hungry teen with us, we opted for Black Eyed Susan. What a wonderful surprise ... our second choice was top notich! I had a wonderful juicy ribs with an excellent spicy rub, with barbecue sauce on the side. Husband and grandson had delicious fish and chips. The salad was fresh and tasty and there were several great beers on tap. On top of it all ... April, our waitress, tracked us down at our hotel when my husband left his charge card at the restaurant! April was a special person!

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
“Absolutely delicious seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

It was hubby's birthday so made a reservation to try this place during their annual seafood fest. We arrived 15 minutes early and were seated immediately. The place was packed--there was only one empty table at 7pm on a Wednesday, and that was filled shortly after we arrived. The menu was posted online so we already had an idea what we wanted. Service was slow, but good. Our waitress had 7 tables but she was friendly and thanked us for our patience. We were in no rush since the kids were home with a sitter for once! Beer selection was good, so hubby was happy. Tossed salad was good...all specialty lettuce with a nice presentation, but the plate was a bit too small. Crab stuffed mushrooms were good. Crab dip with Old Bay pits chips was just amazing. I ordered the boiled sampler and hubby order the fried sampler. I've had seafood all over the eastern seaboard, from NOLA to Maine, plus Nova Scotia, and this seafood melted in my mouth. Just amazing. I think hubby's food was over fried, as it was so dark, but he enjoyed it very much. We would go back in a minute.

• Visited July 2014
Middletown
“Really Good Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Visiting my son in Hagerstown, this restaurant popped up on my search engine. Very impressed with the cleanliness and décor. The serving staff was very attentive and knew the menu. Everything is made to order and very fresh. The crab dip was exceptional. Between the three of us eating, we had prime rib (delicious), Chesapeake burger (perfectly cooked with lump crab), and a reuben that was very tasty on thick rye bread. Looking forward to going back for the shrimp and grits and to taste all the other great items on the menu.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
“Black Eyed Susans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

We ate here for first time and was pleasantly surprised how good our food was. The house salad was so fresh and colorful with darker lettuce, small tomatoes. The red roasted potatoes side was excellent with my crabcake. Alcoholic drinks are priced reasonable. I got a mini margaretta which was very good.
Desserts are refreshing and not so heavy. Atmosphere is very nice also; bar is off to the side.

Visited June 2014
Bentonville, Arkansas
“good food and clean restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I've had the salmon club for lunch with french fries and pineapple maple slaw. Very good. For dinner I had the shimp and grits with country ham, also very good. The salad was excellent. Someone was constantly checking the cleanliness of the windows and all the tables, utensils, etc were sparkling. Very nice casual restaurant with reasonable prices.

• Visited June 2014