“Great atmosphere. Poor service.” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great atmosphere. Poor service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

I've been a regular at the Broad Axe since moving to Hagerstown one year ago. While I love the location and the atmosphere, the service leaves something to be desired. This place has great bands on the weekend and a nice patio. The food is standard pub grub at a reasonable price. The draft beer selection is also nice. My big complaint, however, is the service. Whether the place is busy or slow, service always seems to be slow. The staff never seems to be welcoming and I had a horrible experience with the bartender, Kelly, this evening. She ruined my takeaway order this evening and actually blamed me for her mistakes. Most of the staff seems very unhappy and they primarily cater to local people and friends. It is not a welcoming environment for travellers or people new to town. I keep giving this establisment multiple chances, but there are other nice bars in the area which are more welcoming. The consistent neglect and poor treatment by a couple of members of the Broad Axe staff leads me to recommend nearby spots such as AVA, 28 South, Hempen Hill, or Benny's. With so many new choices in town, I prefer to spend my time and money where I feel welcomed.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
“Great Place to Meet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

When a group of friends were going to meet to begin a 10 day vacation. 5 of us decided that Hagerstown would be a good place to meet to travel together for part of the trip. Another friend recommended the Broad Axe. What a good choice! We were there early afternoon so we had lunch. The food was delicious. We had several different things and everyone liked what they ordered. The owner and his helpers were very friendly. The building has been historically revamped and looks great as well as being very clean. It is a bar as well. We all would highly recommend it and even though we live a few hours away, we discussed that fact that we would probably make a trip again for something different to do.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Martinsburg, West Virginia
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My mother in law recommended going to try out this place. A co worker that she used to work with bought it. My wife and I walked in i liked the atomosphere, was a little chilly, but people kept coming in. Food was great, they have a small bar and a few TV's around. If you go get the Chesapeake chicken burger. My wife had the Hangover burger which she enjoyed and she recommends getting the drink called "awesome" ( Aske for Tony to make it) would highly recommend

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hedgesville, West Virginia
“One more Try”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have to admit , I was reluctant in deciding to go back to this place, to say it went to hell in a handbasket would be an understatement. To my surprise, as we entered the Broad axe I immediately could tell this place experienced an extreme facelift.
It was Very clean , We were greeted as we entered.
The place had been remodeled and acquired a friendly staff. The menu was extensive, The micro brewed beers on tap was of a wide variety. The coffee like Stout I had was excellent although in most places you still get a full glass ?.The Jalepeno burger was very good as was the Fish and Chips my husband had.The manager said they were having entertainment later that evening, however we were leaving prior to this. We were told they have not had their Grand opening yet. Anyway, I highly reccomend trying this place , maybe just a little pricey though.

Visited January 2013
Lexington Park, Maryland, United States
“Neat Place to Eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The atmosphere here is really friendly. You feel like you have gone there for ever the very first time you walk in and - - - the food is really good. Can't beat it!

Visited October 2012